Cotton Bowl ASCS July 4th

AustinF1

Any of y'all going to watch or to race?

I looked at the ASCS entry list page & it only shows 5 guys entered. Are there usually a lot of late entries for these events? I've been planning on taking my boys, but I don't know what to expect in terms of car turnout. Anyone have any info?

take a dust mask for you and the kids

Also, but stop at harbor freight and pick you up some cheap safety glasses to keep your eyes clear.

I don't know what to expect in terms of car turnout. Anyone have any info?

Since this is a Gulf South Series race most guys are semi-local so you probably won't see a lot of pre-registers.....IF I were to venture a guess I'd say 15-20 cars would be a good number for a holiday weekend....

Good advice on the safety glasses. I take them to any dirt track races, but especially for the sprints or USMTS modifieds.

At the first Waco race there was 40+ cars, but there were several National tour guys here. At the last race here there was about 30. They're running 3 straight nights this weekend so you should see most of the regulars running from the Gulf South. I'd guess somewhere in the mid 20's for car count. Don't pay too much attention to the pre-entries. About the only time you can gauge a turnout based on those numbers is for either the Knoxville 360 Nationals or the Lone Star Nationals at Kilgore late in the year.

Any of y'all going to watch or to race?

I looked at the ASCS entry list page & it only shows 5 guys entered. Are there usually a lot of late entries for these events? I've been planning on taking my boys, but I don't know what to expect in terms of car turnout. Anyone have any info?

If you are going off the ascs webpage ALL events have only had 5 or 6 cars pre-register. Each of their shows have averaged anywhere from 22 cars at STS 26 at TTS 42 at HOT 30+ week after week at Golden Triangle. Just a little info I've researched.

Sounds great guys. Thanks for the info. We'll definitely be there then. My first race track as a fan was Riverside in West Memphis when I was 5...Hooker Hood, Sammy Swindell, Alvin Gatlin, & more. Yeah I'm old. Now my 9 yo is really taking notice of the sprints, but he's never been to a decent-sized event. Should be fun! The sprints are what hooked me on racing.

Lololol 3 water trucks!!!! Better bring your rain boots. But hell what do i know I'm justafan. Lolol

No i know you are Danny. Having three water trucks is nice but when you turn the track over at 3:00 in the afternoon and then let it sit in the hot texas summer sun its going to dry out. If you turned the track over 30 minutes before the races start like devil's bowl and a few other tracks do you can have a good racy fast mutliple grooved track that wont make for a miserable show for your fans. I've talked to a lot of fans and racers that were there for your last sprint car show that said they wouldnt come back because of the dustiness.

Lololol 3 water trucks!!!! Better bring your rain boots. But hell what do i know I'm justafan. Lolol

No i know you are Danny. Having three water trucks is nice but when you turn the track over at 3:00 in the afternoon and then let it sit in the hot texas summer sun its going to dry out. If you turned the track over 30 minutes before the races start like devil's bowl and a few other tracks do you can have a good racy fast mutliple grooved track that wont make for a miserable show for your fans. I've talked to a lot of fans and racers that were there for your last sprint car show that said they wouldnt come back because of the dustiness.

Man...I sure hope you dont come back to CBS I am sick of hearing you cry about a wet track... learn to drive on a dryslick track and your tires will last...I saw you at the 305 show a few weeks ago...you spun your tires all the way around the track...no wonder you were in the back of the pack.....everyone...please ignore this guy....he is just mad that cotton bowl does not bow down to his wishes.... btw...that is not danny.

If you were not so self absorbed...you would have noticed that CBS has been trying everything they can think of to eliminate the dust...but for complainers like you...the solutions are so easy...as long as someone else does it..

I have seen these guys working on the track surface non stop on saturday...and several evenings during the week....are they doing everything right...heck no...but there trying...and negative people like you will spend all your energy bringing down people trying their best.

If you put this much energy into your car...maybe you could learn to run on a dryslick track...just a thought.

I have talked to alot of fans and racers and they think the track is doing just fine....please...move on to another topic. (and hopefully a new track...far...far ...away) AJ

Man...I sure hope you dont come back to CBS I am sick of hearing you cry about a wet track... learn to drive on a dryslick track and your tires will last...I saw you at the 305 show a few weeks ago...you spun your tires all the way around the track...no wonder you were in the back of the pack.....everyone...please ignore this guy....he is just mad that cotton bowl does not bow down to his wishes.... btw...that is not danny.

If you were not so self absorbed...you would have noticed that CBS has been trying everything they can think of to eliminate the dust...but for complainers like you...the solutions are so easy...as long as someone else does it..

I have seen these guys working on the track surface non stop on saturday...and several evenings during the week....are they doing everything right...heck no...but there trying...and negative people like you will spend all your energy bringing down people trying their best.

If you put this much energy into your car...maybe you could learn to run on a dryslick track...just a thought.

I have talked to alot of fans and racers and they think the track is doing just fine....please...move on to another topic. (and hopefully a new track...far...far ...away) AJ

yes aj we were in the back of the pack at that show reason why because we didnt have any points with the series because that was our first race of the season with them. Yes we stayed in the back and if you would of paid full attention to the race only about 3 drivers actually made it multiple moves through out that race one driver who started 20th only picked up about 5 positions and he is one of the best ive seen to wheel a sprint car in a while. What are they doing different from the beginning of the season the track was good at the beginning of the season. Tearing tires up yes we do but you know if we had a car that weighed as much as that thing you drive with tires as hard as they are we would be able to race more than a couple of races with our tires but we have a 1550lb car with softer tires than yours and they burn up. Your not comparing apples to apples here. But i will honor your wishes and leave this board and topic and the track its damn shame we have to drive four hours to go race at track when we have one 45 minutes from us but expects us to bring all the cars in for his show. So have a good 4th of July everyone enjoy the ascs show. All Hail AJ Dancer King of the Super Stocks

Josh

yes aj we were in the back of the pack at that show reason why because we didnt have any points with the series because that was our first race of the season with them. Yes we stayed in the back and if you would of paid full attention to the race only about 3 drivers actually made it multiple moves through out that race one driver who started 20th only picked up about 5 positions and he is one of the best ive seen to wheel a sprint car in a while. What are they doing different from the beginning of the season the track was good at the beginning of the season. Tearing tires up yes we do but you know if we had a car that weighed as much as that thing you drive with tires as hard as they are we would be able to race more than a couple of races with our tires but we have a 1550lb car with softer tires than yours and they burn up. Your not comparing apples to apples here. But i will honor your wishes and leave this board and topic and the track its damn shame we have to drive four hours to go race at track when we have one 45 minutes from us but expects us to bring all the cars in for his show. So have a good 4th of July everyone enjoy the ascs show. All Hail AJ Dancer King of the Super Stocks

Cool..thanks. and..I kind of like that...King of the superstocks... long live the king...lol

Once again I am not Danny, Danny is from Bastrop, as you can see I live in Manor. I am no way associated with the inner workings of the track be it dirt, rules, scheduling, etc. NOW if you need a beer while watching some good ole racing I'm the man you need to see.

Speaking as a fan here.As far as track conditions it was said elsewhere if you want a track that is the same all the time go asphalt.Dirt tracks present a challenge every week because it is never the same.From what I have learned on a dry slick you have to slow down to go fast.As a fan I don't like watching an extreme dry slick.Bonzai down the straights then almost come to a stop in the turns.May be fun to drive but not to watch.Never been to a track where the dust was unbearable.RGS was the worst but not bad.I understand red dirt creates a lot of dust.Being this is a new track the crew has to learn by trial and error.I know over watering a track is a disaster so be thankful that hasn't happened.Anyway if dry slick is not your thing there are many tracks around to fit what you want.

Not many fans or drivers actually know and completely understand the effort it takes to put on a show, not just prep a track but the whole package. There is never enough time nor volunteers to be ready for a 3 hour Saturday night event. There is always something that was put off and not finished or even touched because you ran out of time. Its the nature of the beast. I dont miss trying to guess the car count potential, if there is going to be wind then hard hard, is it straight up sunny all day or is it cloudy. Did you run the sheepfoot too much and tighten the track too much. If you dont sheepfoot it enough then you take the risk of ruts coming up. It requires so much personal attention and plus the fact its fairly new to all of them. They have alot of their plate. Personally I love any track thats not rough.

Maybe the Sprints should consider harder compound tires Josh?

If you go through the corner at 30 MPH and 7,000 RPM on a dry track, you will burn off tires. Go look at the cars that ran in the front and you will probably see a lot less wear. Granted a dry track is harder on tires than a tacky track but there are more variables to consider and driver / setup are a part of it also.

And the saga continues.. Keep it dry, nuff said. The dust sucks for the fans but there again it's dusty at any track that goes dry slick which is oh lets say 90% of Texas tracks. I've said it before and ill say it again, the stands just don't have the wind in the right direction at this track but it is what it is.. Can't change it now. You don't wanna buy tires? Well I don't wanna re-clip my car with the kinda speeds you carry on that track when it's heavy/tacky. Dry slick makes it racier and takes away the big motors advantage. Keep it dry.

Went last night. Dust wasn't an issue at all except nearest turn 1. Also, the drivers all said the track was great and complimented the crew on their efforts.

Great racing, and an awesome high-groove run by the 31 car to win the A Main. Hooked up & hauling ass.

That was without a doubt the largest crowd Ive ever seen at a local short track race that I can remember. Was awesome to see the fans pack the house and the Sprints delivered. I wish we had had more than 12 mods show up but I was pleased to get to run infront of a large crowd like that.

Props to Cotton Bowl.

The track at CBS was almost perfect thursday night in fact most tracks that I've raced at would loved to have a track that good Sat.night was not as good but still was as a really good track because they allowed practiced friday night and then raced on it Sat.but still was a very good track.AJ i know your fast but the spectators hate a dry slick track because of the dust I had 4 couples that came out a month or so ago that left before the A main because of the dust and a track that has some mositure in it will let the whole track be used like Thur night when the 21 sprint and the 8 car rim ride up on the wall and carry some corner speed instead of parking them in the turns like the past races

Archived