So....what do you see...?

dancer52

First off....the only thing that made me upset Saturday was the waffeling from the officials...(you go to the rear...no..nevermind)

So...this is how I saw it, but of course I am biased. 149 slowed and came down the track....I tried to slow down...heck..I had not even touched the gas since halfway down the back stretch....there was contact.....from which I firmly believe would not have caused the 149 to spin....but...he then proceded to try a top fuel burnout on a dryslick track...causing him to spin.

I am posting this video for two reasons....I am curious to your opinion...and as a teaching moment. Look...if there is contact...if you lift out of the gas for just a second...and regain control...then get back on the gas (in a reasonable manner) 9 times out of ten...you will not lose your spot....trust me..I do this almost every week with no issues.

I have no issues with Stephan or Robert (even though he was allowed to enter the track surface with no repercussion)

This was just a racing deal....at least the race wasnt boring....and on a side note....I would like to thank everyone who came by and helped out...after the gremlin experienced gremlins....we were able to pull out the back up car and run up front...sorry I couldnt have finished better. AJ

The link

This isnt my first rodeo either AJ. As a matter of fact my 31st year, longer then even you. So two veternan fender drivers make contact. Happens every race at every track across Amercia. Someone has to go to the back. Of course you are only showing 2 laps of that race but if you look at last lap the line I took was the exact same line I took every time out of turn 4, low at the bottom. You were faster on the bottom and I pulled you down the straight. You had to come out low middle or you went backwards, you were doing the same using the bottom so was Wade. When I was hit I instantly knew I was coming around at that point in the turn. No saving it, I was already in the gas when I was hit, it was a good hit on a dry track. I floored it to keep from going up the track backwards and getting broadsided by everyone going by, I tried to shoot toward the bottom while spining. You started in front of me and I passed you cleanly with no problems. I apoligize for being in your way while trying to win myself but I could have easily did the same to Wade Jones for the win but didnt. I tagged him a couple times to put pressure on him during the race but nothing more. Sure you were off your gas pedal but you damn sure was not on the breaks to avoid it til after contact! Its a racing deal but noway was I in the wrong to be sent to the back when you made the contact on my left rear bumper. Not my left side or left door, the left corner bumper. I went from 14th to 2nd with no contact til I reached the leader on anyone and I will continue driving like that. My issue from last night wasnt with you but after the accident it took many caution laps and someones video to show contact due to no officals/spotters seeing it. The series flagman saw me spin and was putting me to the back. He never saw any contact nor did any other official. Your video prooves there was contact, thanks for posting it. Oddly enough everyone in the stands did and the right call was made regardless if you did it on purpose or accident. Either way I didnt care as long as the right decision was made. Our series has pit falls in it. One being we do not have our own officals, we are dependant on track officials to help us. We need good quality help no doubt about it. But in this case the right decision was made regardless. I wish it would not have happened and it was three of us fighting for a win not only two. If you think I could have done something to have prevented it I am all ears but one thing for sure I am there to win to not move out of your way when you get close to me due to cautions.

FYI I am moving inside of Wade to keep from hitting him. I look fwd to the next race and hope we can race for a win together.

Both of you are very hard, good and clean racers in the races I've seen involving both of you. It's hard to tell in-car what happened. It looked like a racing deal as was stated. I don't think Danielsen cut down to draw a spin/yellow or what have you and I don't think Dancer was going in to take out anyone. I have seen it done here, if no one saw it it's like a mulligan, both cars get the spot back and race on. I've also seen the all involved rule in effect. If that was the case, you both would know you're going to the back. My call would have been to put you both back to your spots and race on but that's what I saw.

OK I HAVE RACED WITH BOTH YOU GUYS, DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EITHER OF YOU AND CONSIDER YOU BOTH FRIENDS. THE ONLY VIEW I HAVE IS AJ S IN CAR, I HAVE BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I NO I WAS FASTER AND STUCK IT IN, I WAS NOT CLEAR AND THE GUY I BUMPED SPUN INSTEAD OF JUST GOING UP THE TRACK. IF IT WAS ME AND I WENT TO THE BACK I WOULD NOT LIKE IT BUT I WOULD UNDERSTAND THE RULING. JUST MY OPINION FROM THE VIDEO I WAS NOT THERE

BOBBY JACK

The right call was made AJ spun Stephen out doesnt look like it was on purpose but it happened.I've raced with both you guys and aren't dirty drivers. From our video from the in field it doesn't look intentional at all. Looks like AJ spun trying to avoid the contact.

The right call was made AJ spun Stephen out doesnt look like it was on purpose but it happened.I've raced with both you guys and aren't dirty drivers. From our video from the in field it doesn't look intentional at all. Looks like AJ spun trying to avoid the contact.

I kinda agree...from most any view...it would appear I spun him out. But...thats just not what happened (IMO). Stephan standing on the gas spun him out....our contact was light enough he does not even get sideways (well, anymore than he already was) In no way am I saying I was not involved...or that I should not have went to the rear. I am serious, I think people can learn what to do in this situation...standing on the gas will never be the right call on a dryslick track. I have saved FAR worse hits than that by doing exactly what I said earlier.

Of course I forgot the biggest part of why I was mad after the races... when I posted earlier. Why would the flagman restart the race with a huge oil slick on the track? When he restarted I was shocked...and had actually given up and decided to just finish 3rd...cause any pass would cause wreck....I was not even trying to stay close (oK, real close) to anyone cause I was worried they would spin in the oil and collect me, and I was just happy that my backup car had been able to run up front. Couple that with the numerous accordian restarts that they allowed to happen and the erratic starting with no warning...and I say some one needs to counsel the flagman before a driver gets hurt.

one last thing...Stephan...watch some of my videos...I NEVER enter a turn with out using my brakes...I am a very brake oriented driver....so..I was on the brakes from entry till I hit you (obviously just not hard enough)... and as far as your comment about you getting around me...that only happened because I checked up for a car slowing down....and if you will remember..I passed you cleanly about 5 times...and as luck would have it...a caution came out every time..... oh well...see you next week...AJ

I was sitting in the stands Saturday and I think several things you all point out play into the problem. I see dry track mentioned over and over, officials mentioned a few times, and cautions. I think they all tie together. I never remember seeing that many cautions during a Street Stock Shootout race. They were all long and unorganized with drivers out of line and no one telling them where to go. I saw several times the caution was very late getting out. The dry was very dry and everyone in the stands was covered in dirt. There were times you could not even see the cars from the stands. Take it for what its worth the track is very nice, but that does not keep people coming and paying money to get covered in dirt and wait on caution flags. JMO

Your right when the caution came out you went by me almost every time. Now I am spinning myself out good grief! Standing on the gas was after it was a lost cause and is what kept me from looping it in front of all the cars even worst then it was. Thankyou to everyone of you for missing me. I am done with this topic as it is absolutely stupid to defend myself for getting spun out plan and simple no matter how it happened. Last time I checked your car has a steering wheel, brakes and gas pedal.

Only saw video, but I was in same spot as AJ last weekend at STS. Yes contact was made which caused a spin, but the location of the contact is what probably caused it. I had the inside line (not saying #52 did) and the 2nd place car caved me down (not saying#149 did) and how the driver didnt loose it/I didnt loose it I dont know. Our contact was in the middle of the door and my RF fender. This contact looks like RF to LR tire/on back.

I was sitting in the stands Saturday and I think several things you all point out play into the problem. I see dry track mentioned over and over, officials mentioned a few times, and cautions. I think they all tie together. I never remember seeing that many cautions during a Street Stock Shootout race. They were all long and unorganized with drivers out of line and no one telling them where to go. I saw several times the caution was very late getting out. The dry was very dry and everyone in the stands was covered in dirt. There were times you could not even see the cars from the stands. Take it for what its worth the track is very nice, but that does not keep people coming and paying money to get covered in dirt and wait on caution flags. JMO

First and foremost I want to thank all the racers that came both friday and saturday night. Several drivers busted butt all week to get their cars there at the last second to support the shootout. That means alot! I have talked in great detail with some individuals that are huge supporters of the shootout series and learned of many problems. We are very dependant on the tracks and its personel to run the show while we are trying to put on the show. Starting emmidiately the series will be in total control over the lineup drawing (bingo style). We will give the track the lineups for all heat races, b mains, and features. Starting emmidiatly we will be timing all heat race winners when they are running their 2 lap time trails that determines pole sitter. We will again have our competition director/flagman be instrumental in making all final decisions on the track. We will use the tracks flagman in some capacity but not as the final decision maker.

I do agree the dust is a major problem

regardless of the long cautions and all of the drama I think Swenson racing components and cotton bowl speedway put on an exciting race for the fans. thanks to all the drivers for showing up and putting on a good race. I am looking forward to the next shootout race at cotton bowl.

to the drivers, if you have people on your pit crew that are stupid enough to go out on the track and try to direct cars where they need to be you might think about leaving them at home!

I've seen this done before in cases where the drivers don't have contact through raceceiver or radio. How about an official uses a dry erase board and writes the lineup down on the board if the cars can't line up within a lap or two of seeing the board, stop scoring him/her. Just a thought.

no one telling them where to go.

Actually there was someone in the scorers tower telling them where to line up.....Whether they listened or not is another story....Drivers were supposed to have raceceivers....

Could things have been done better/quicker.....Sure....but it's not always a track issue.....just sayin'

When the track was wet it was a lot nicer place to go watch a race, you did not leave the place covered in dirt. And a lot less cautions. I was able to get a lot of people to come watch a race but since it has went to being dry they all ask me before I leave to go to the track is it going to be dry. And they always say when they run it wet we will come back and watch, tell then we are not coming back.

When the track was wet it was a lot nicer place to go watch a race, you did not leave the place covered in dirt. And a lot less cautions. I was able to get a lot of people to come watch a race but since it has went to being dry they all ask me before I leave to go to the track is it going to be dry. And they always say when they run it wet we will come back and watch, tell then we are not coming back.

That's half the fun of dirt track racing. Everyone goes home covered in dirt!

Nick

AMEN

Well, I see the line at the Lone Star Speedzone "unofficial complaint department" has started to form and I have removed a couple of posts.

Folks, if you have a complaint about a call made by the track or series, why not take it up with the folks who made the call rather than getting on here and complaining about it?

Sound reasonable?

Nick

With all the traffic and pub this is getting I would like to take advantage of it and tell my Sponsors Thankyou for everything you do .

Spreen Racing Engines

Hill Country Fireplaces

Suburban School of San Antonio

Texas Riverbed

Treasure Island Fantasy Sports

Ross Welding

Also I have an available hood for the low price of $500 plus the cost of your logo. Guaranteed to get plenty of exposure at the front of the pack going straight or even backwards.

With all the traffic and pub this is getting I would like to take advantage of it and tell my Sponsors Thankyou for everything you do .

Spreen Racing Engines

Hill Country Fireplaces

Suburban School of San Antonio

Texas Riverbed

Treasure Island Fantasy Sports

Ross Welding

Also I have an available hood for the low price of $500 plus the cost of your logo. Guaranteed to get plenty of exposure at the front of the pack going straight or even backwards.

Well played! That was like a NASCAR sponsor deal there!

And to the ppl that say they want to see the rough mud hole wet track start footing the bill for all the stuff that gets tore up on those tracks and you will appreciate a nice dry slick track!

Archived