CoTA fans?

lol..it looks to me...you guys are crying over spilt milk. Every buisness venture I bet somone gets the short end. I have not seen anything about cota that shows they did anything different than your boy would have done to them if he could have...but..i could be wrong.

As far as the race...the prices nick quoted are completely out of context....someone took the most expensive prices..and quoted them as the cheapest.

I dont care for ANY kind of asphalt racing....but.. I still had a good time...the food I got was better than any track I have been to in a LONG time. The tower was really cool...I got to watch a race thru the glass floor while standing next to the spotters...

The ability to walk thru the pits anytime....and the paddock during its open time was really nice...

and I got to do all that with a GA ticket....

and to be honest....it didnt seem that hot to me...and..I saw alot of people in shaded areas (under bridges..tower shade)...and quite a few with umbrellas...

I had a good time...and for you guys to snooty (lol...just poking fun at you guys) to set foot out there...its only your loss...all 10 of you wont make a difference on the bottom line for the track. All I will say is.. I bet every track you have visited has had some buisness partner that lost his behind on...someone who was done wrong.... Your missing out on seeing a track people are travelling thousands of miles to see...and its in your back yard.... your loss...

On a side note....anyone see that hauler with a blow up pit area....all I could think was....it just needs a bouncy area on one end. Well that...and...is this thing flammable? lol AJ

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its only your loss...

Not my loss folks get stabbed in the back daily but never so much in the public as this one was and whom it was to who it was mattered seeing both parties are local and well known and a persons 30 year dream was taken from him .WE SURE DONT KNOW ALL THE FACTS AND NEVER WILL .BUT I DO KNOW ONE THING TAVO AND THIS OTHER PARTNER PUT UP A BETTER PUBLIC ARGUMENT THAN THE OTHERS INVOLVED .NOW MAYBE I AM JUST ONE .BUT I DO HAVE FAMILY AND SOME FRIENDS WHO WOULD HAVE WENT WITH ME HAD I WANTED AND ASK THEM TO GO .MORE THAN TEN .THEY HAVE FRIENDS AND OTHER FAMILY THAT WOULD HAVE GONE .SO TEN FOLKS ON HERE DO MATTER .THEY ADD UP .[NOW WE ARE JUST TEN ]HOW ABOUT THE OTHER SILENT FOLKS .. GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOUR TIME AT THE RACES I WOULD NEVER SUGGEST OF YOU TO NOT GO .IT ONLY TAKES ONE BAD APPLE YOU KNOW ....

“What we kept hearing (from fans) is there was too much single-file racing. Not enough passing.”

“A real snoozer,” Tom Bragg said.

Nick

Well, this is America, where the average attention span is half-a-second.... <_<

The fight for the lead much of the time might not have been an all out, door-bangin' brawl the whole weekend, but there seemed to be a lot of good racing further back. And I was just watching on TV, so surely the people at the track could've seen it. The drivers seemed to love the place, though they did say there were some things they'd change for their next trip back; namely a softer tire and they want to run the full course.

As far as attendance, my understanding from those who follow the series regularly, 68,000 over 3 days for a relatively unknown international series on their first trip to the U.S. is considered pretty decent. By comparison, America's own Grand-Am series only drew in ~26,000. I'll be curious to see how the ALMS series does. Not sure I'll make it to that one, but I will definitely be going back for the F1 race.

I’m glad that the people who went to race had a fabulous time. As far as the high price of food and drink, I didn’t go so..no worries. I love oval track racing, I like road course racing…I will watch any form of racing on asphalt.

I just can’t support an organization that openly puts it to someone. I’m a little different in that the actions of the people in charge can determine my feelings towards a person or organization. Will this keep me from watching those V8 cars or any other series that runs at that track..hell no. If it’s on TV..I will be watching.

I support Red. I am sure poor tavo walked away with millions.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news...mbs-accept.html

Tavo spent many years working from his back pocket to put that F1 and CoTA deal together. I hope he does end up with millions. He earned every penny of it.

Nick

funny how life works sometimes .red robbed peter to give to paul.and now he is a hero for it ,, IN 1978 MY FAMILY ENDED UP WITH THE BID TO CLEAR THE FIRST 3000 PLUS ACRES OF CHOKE CANYON DAM. THE DIRT WE CLEARED IS THE DAM ITSELF your welcome those who fish there LOL. WE WERE NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO BE BONDABLE SO WE HAD TO SUBCONTRACT .THE BID WAS $250.000 .for 7 months of hot desert like work .THE COMPANY WE CONTRACTED WITH WE FOUND OUT LATER WAS CROOKED AS HELL.LONG STORY SHORT WE HAD TO SUE AND THOUGH WE PROVED OUR CASE IN COURT TO THE GOVERNMENT AND THIS COMPANY ..THE COMPANY HAD MANY FRIENDS ON THE JURY SIDE ALONG WITH THE JUDGE ......WE LOST OVER A $100.000 .. SO I FIND LITTLE SYMPATHY FOR THOSE WHO PUT IT TO THE LITTLE GUY AND WANT TO BE PRAISED FOR DOING GOOD ...

Is it right to pay someone $100 for a job that they were supposed to receive $110 for? It's not the amount that matters. Someone who cheats someone else or who steals from someone else is (self edited because nick would probably anyway) no matter how much good he does elsewhere. And BTW, doing good elsewhere doesn't erase the bad.

Hi everyone. First post. Thanks Nick! Can't say I'm a long-time lurker, but I have been here a few times & have always enjoyed the interesting discussions going on here. This is a good conversation on both sides & it's what prompted me to register.

Despite identifying strongly with reservations held by many here against the current regime at COTA, I have been on-site at every event there except MotoGP. I was at the Gypsy Lounge watch party for that one. When I do go out there I just try to buy tickets from fans who are selling them. That way at least COTA's not making anything extra off my attendance. I won't buy any of their overpriced concessions either, & I usually park out by trun 11 on Mr. Haywood's hill for about $10 a day. He also allows motor homes, pretty cheap. Not sure how much though.

I thought the V8SC event was pretty cool even if not what we quite expected from them. In addition to the quick turnaround times between each day's 1st & 2nd races, I believe one reason for the lack of brawling racing that we're used to seeing from them is that they had to come so for and had fewer replacement parts than usual. In the final race on Sunday, they finally started to cut loose a bit. Something else is that, while TH & KS made COTA very technical and hard to learn, they also made it very wide in places to promote aggressive passing attempts that might be discouraged on a narrower track. This, combined with the FIA-mandated big runoff areas made for less of the fighting for a spot on the track that we usually see from the V8s on their much narrower Aussie tracks. They're already talking about moving the race to an earlier date and using the GP circuit to give the drivers more straights to rest. They said that the National circuit only left them with 10 seconds per lap when they weren't turning thr wheel.

Trees. Man, they need a lot more where they already have 'em, and they need a ton over on the east side where they don't have any.

Attendance. Wow...It was probably a lot closer in size to the Grand Am crowd than the 68K they announced, but oh well.

We met a few of the drivers and some other folks from Oz and they all couldn't have been more friendly. Just reinforced my desire to get down under someday.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Crazy stuff happening at COTA lately. Apparent staff re-org underway.

- Ward Merrill (all-around git it done guy) fired.

- Jason Wade (Director of Track Ops) fired today.

- Marty Hunt (Facilities Operations Director) left for the New Jersey race

- Kevin Tao (sp?, Security Director) quit a few weeks back.

- Others quitting.

Hearing lots of bad stuff. Ex-Indy guy Harder on cost-cutting mission and bringing in his own guys...& much more.

Crazy stuff happening at COTA lately. Apparent staff re-org underway. Ward Merrill (all-around git it done guy) fired. Jason Wade (Director of Track Ops) fired today. Kevin Tao (sp?, Security Director) quit a few weeks back. Others quitting. Hearing lots of bad stuff. Ex-Indy guy Harder on cost-cutting mission and bringing in his own guys...& much more.

TAVO CURSE ..

Feel bad for Jason Wade he was a pretty nice guy real down to earth. Left everything in Utah to take that job.

And he probably did it very well and is now on the short end of the stick... Sound like a pattern to you?

Nick

Feel bad for Jason Wade he was a pretty nice guy real down to earth. Left everything in Utah to take that job.

And he probably did it very well and is now on the short end of the stick... Sound like a pattern to you?

Nick

Yep. I'm sure his job at Miller was a very good one.

I feel for Jason, others who have left, and possibly more to come.

The people working in the trenches out there have never been the problem.

New post on our FB page:

Who"s next? Imo. Anybody, who will not be part of the " go along to get along " gang. Really, what can you expect, when the owners and management, think the best way to run a race track, is to have 9 vice presidents and 11 directors. Then expect all the work to get done by 13 laborers, who have been kicked out of the X Game celebration, ( they were told they didn't belong there) and limited to 40 hours a week. The number of people, who actually care if this place crashes or not, are dwindling fast. Somebody told them, back when this was getting started, that a race track was not like horse racing or golf or trading stocks. So, they realize that, and go and hire someone who's 1 item resume was to be the the vice president of a sinking ship.

Make no mistake, giant egos built this place, and continuesly growing egos will tear it down.

I know, for a fact, many suppliers and vendors, are way past 90 day on getting paid, all is not well with the whole concert thing, and people that care are being ran off.

Somebody tol me, " its never the guy that built the shopping center, that makes the money". In my opinion, its another sinking ship. I can't wait for new people to get their hands on it. They couldn't do any worse than this bunch.

Screw the one guy who had his head on straight (Tavo) and then screw the guy who put the motorcycle gig together and now screwing anyone with half a brain and a love of the sport.

I have never been to CoTA because of what they did to Tavo and I will never set foot on that place until Epstein and his bunch are long gone.

Nick

Screw the one guy who had his head on straight (Tavo) and then screw the guy who put the motorcycle gig together and now screwing anyone with half a brain and a love of the sport.

I have never been to CoTA because of what they did to Tavo and I will never set foot on that place until Epstein and his bunch are long gone.

Nick

Another firing yesterday. Equipment operator.

On the Schwantz front, Vance dug up the lawsuit court date yesterday. Looks like a jury trial starting Feb. 10, 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

We were talking yesterday on one of the boards wondering why COTA won't offer single-day tickets for the USGP. They have for other events when sales were lagging. Almost as if on cue, they gave us what we asked for, sort of:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/articles/s...ilable-sept.-31

GENERAL ADMISSION & BLEACHER SEATING IN TURNS 3, 4, 5 & 11:

FRIDAY:

GENERAL ADMISSION: $49

BLEACHER SEATING: $79

LOT F PARKING: $50

LOT L PARKING: $50

SATURDAY:

GENERAL ADMISSION: $79

BLEACHER SEATING: $129

LOT F PARKING: $100

LOT L PARKING: $100

SUNDAY:

GENERAL ADMISSION: $129

BLEACHER SEATING: $229

LOT F PARKING: $100

LOT L PARKING: $100

Three-Day Ticket Price:

Nov. 15-17

General Admission: $169 (152-percent savings)

Grandstands 3,4,5,11: $299 (146-percent savings)

Individual tickets for Friday’s practice sessions, Saturday’s knock-out qualifying rounds and Sunday’s Grand Prix race go on sale Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 2 p.m. CDT and feature prices as low as $49 per person.

“Our Formula 1 United States Grand Prix weekend is an incredible experience, and we understand not everyone can come to all three days,” Circuit Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer Geoff Moore said. “So we’re introducing ticket options that make it easy to attend on any individual day. Our first Grand Prix was named the 2012 ‘Sports Event of the Year,’ and was raved about by diehard and casual fans. We want to give everyone who loves world-class sports and entertainment a chance to witness the remarkable spectacle that is Formula 1 racing at Circuit of The Americas.”.

Not sure how they're calculating those %savings numbers.

This has been their m.o. starting with Grand Am. Make tickets cheaper as the race nears and GSs aren't selling, like 3,4,5,11 aren't now. I wonder how the folks feel who only needed a one-day ticket and bought a 3-day because it was the only option. Other circuits offer incentives to buy early and then go to normal (higher) pricing as the event nears.

Lesson here is to never buy COTA tickets early.

BTW, wouldn't 152% savings mean they're paying us to attend?

Archived