STA-BIL

neon14

The other day I picked up a bottle of Sta-bil ethanol treatment to use in my lawn equipment. When I got home I was reading the instructions and noticed that it contains only petroleum distillate (CAS#64742-47-8)

I did a quick internet search and found this http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

I was surprised to find out it was basically kerosene.

I am no chemist or anything but I was thinking. How can kerosene help improve gasoline I buy from the gas station?

The other day I picked up a bottle of Sta-bil ethanol treatment to use in my lawn equipment. When I got home I was reading the instructions and noticed that it contains only petroleum distillate (CAS#64742-47-8)

I did a quick internet search and found this http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

I was surprised to find out it was basically kerosene.

I am no chemist or anything but I was thinking. How can kerosene help improve gasoline I buy from the gas station?

I know there are more than a dozen products that are called petroleum distillate. Even injector cleaner. Its a term used for anything produced from petroleum in the distillation process. Then they are refined filter purified or whatever to make gasoline ,diesel, naphtha and so on. I once heard that sta-bil floated on the top of gasoline and created a barrier so the gas could not evaporate and leave varnish but that was a myth. Products like Sta-Bil are known as oxidation inhibitors. They are suppose to contain a chemical that encompasses the fuel molicules and provides a barrier between it and the atmosphere.Their objective is to slow the degradation of the fuel molecule by keeping the fuel and oxygen from reacting.

I got no idea if it really works. Sta-bil contains 5% of some kind of secret ingredient. Might be red dye .;)

i ran a mini bike on kerosene for years never hurt it ....a cap full of marvel mystery oil has not hurt ..i know a few that do that and have had no problems with their mowers .i have used it just to keep the plug and carb cleaned ..

Archived