Spencer Davis #29

marvinmcgee

The kid can drive and that car was way faster than any other , but yes, in my book he's still too young too be put in that kind of danger. Fortunately for him I'm not his dad.

I'm willing to bet that he is safer in that Pro Late than most other cars on most other tracks. I doubt there was a corner cut or penny shaved in the equipment he is using.

You can have the best of equipment but u still have to know how to drive it there people out there who spend thousands of dollars and can't drive kid has talent get over it and for the safety issue it's more dangerous to drive on highways that it is to do 100 around a half mile track,in a street car you don't have a full containment seat five point racing harnest and a helmet and fire suit kid came down showed him self how bout a good job!!!

In talking to him during his interview he reminded me a lot of talking to Bayley Currey last year....Very respectful and with a knowledge of racing that I never had at that age...

He showed a lot patience trailing a veteran for most of the race and took responsibility for what little contact was made between he and Casey....

I'm just not sure if I like being called "sir" or not.....LOL....Do I look that old?

best part about this kid is that he loves the track and wants to come back. he said he wa to see his schedule to see if they can come back. maybe he will bring other racers. q:)

It was more the age that people were fussing about on the other thread, but most of them went and "edited" their previous comments or deleted them all together so you don't see their original comments before actually watching the kid race.

If your talking about mine, it was deleted( before the kid raced) because it was miscomprehended, takin out of context or just plain ignored, and stiring up controversy that I didnt think represented a good image on our local tracks or this site. I cant speak for anyone else edit.

my hats off to the kid, he drove a great race, but...lets see him come down next month to CC Speedway and try his luck in the bullring.

From what I saw I'm sure he will do good in any track. I sure hope he can make it to CC Speedway on May 18 and hopefully bring more racers.

I spoke with Spencer's crew chief during one of the breaks. And they were very excited about being at SAS for this race. He told us that they had a weekend off in Georgia and had been looking around for other race tracks to run at and it just so happend they heard about SAS reopening and wanted to visit a track that had so much history. I welcomed them to SAS & Texas and wished them well in their race. Spencer showed great maturity as a driver compared to some of the "Non 14 year old" drivers that showed their a$$ Saturday night. I know folks are saying that putting a child of 14 at risk in a racaecar is unnacceptable, but as I always tell folks. "I am safer in my racecar on the track than I am getting to and from the track". This past weekends racing was great to see and be a part of again. See ya'll in June. Lenny66 B)

In talking to him during his interview he reminded me a lot of talking to Bayley Currey last year....Very respectful and with a knowledge of racing that I never had at that age...

He showed a lot patience trailing a veteran for most of the race and took responsibility for what little contact was made between he and Casey....

I'm just not sure if I like being called "sir" or not.....LOL....Do I look that old?

As I taught my kids, Sir or Ma'am is manners more than age. Sounds like this kid not only has a good future but also raised very well and taught to be respectful which is almost a thing of the past.

Unfortunatly I was unable to attend the race and witness how he drove. But from what I have been reading more power to him. I don't care how old he is. If he can drive and handle himself at 14 that to me is amazing. Good for you Spencer. I hope he comes down next month to Corpus Christi Speedway so that I can witness it myself.

I think we need to be very careful about letting the age limits get younger and younger. There is a growing number of people in this country, who would love to put us out of business and use any means to do so. Not saying that Spencer, or any other driver, isn't qualified to compete. God forbid, some horrible accident happens involving a very young driver racing with adults, it could have dire ramifications our sport.

Very true. Or, which was said before, a youngster disrespects an adult on or off the track and you cant say anything or do anything or you go to jail. Or if a driver takes out a youngster on the track and gets hurt, the parents go and press charges. Could happen and im sure it has before...........jmo.

• 3 weeks later...

Ranked 46th per Speed51 for Late Model drivers under 30 yrs old

[Colt James ranked #44]

http://www.speed51.com/2013_Stories/51_Dra...thru51_5_9.html

Pick #46

Spencer Davis

Hometown: Dawsonville, GA

Series: Southern Super Series / Super/Pro Late Models

Twitter: @SpencerDavis_29

The young driver is improving as he gets more seat time and appears to have a promising future. During the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing at New Smyrna Speedway, he had six top five’s in the Pro Late Models and two top-fives in the Super Late Models. He competed in both divisions all eight days and was in contention for both division’s championships. He earned the 2012 Gresham Motorsports Park (GA) track championship with a couple victories and also won a big Pro Late Model show earlier this year at San Antonio (TX).

Pros: He has good equipment and realizes that he is learning as he goes. He’s getting all kinds of seat time, racing at least once every weekend in various series from the Southeast to the Midwest.

Cons: Seat time is big, but he may almost be racing too much. Some weekends off to make sure all the equipment is 100-percent for the next race could step up the stats.

• 4 years later...

Archived