My Personal prediction regarding Saturday's race at CTS

Big G Smith

Like all good things it will take a little time. I think the turn out was a lot better than most people expected including myself. I also remember when hmp had a hard time with car count and now look at them. It was definitely a good start but there is still room for improvement and fine tuning like I'm sure they expected (pit/grand stand prices, Saturday night show instead of Friday and Saturday, etc.). They are definately one step ahead of other tracks when it comes to the band. If the racing won't bring people out then the band will but the racing will definitely keep them coming back. I even heard John Heil saying he can't wait for them to get Lady Gaga out there! Lol jk and for those who are bashing the track I'd watch what you say cause you're only gonna embarrass yourself in the long run. Keep up the good work CTS!!

Just to let you know of some words i heard from a gentleman that came to the dirt track saturday night, who was out at CTS on friday night. He came down to our pits and was loking at our car and was telling me that he went Friday and was thoroughly displeased first that he had to pay to park, then when he got to the ticket booth that they did not have any senior pricing tickets. When he finally got into the races there was hardly any cars to watch race. I stated to him that I appreciated him coming to our races at CBS and like Cotton Bowl this was there first race of the year under new management and that things might be a little shaky at first and that we as racers appreciate it when they support the race tracks. I am not knocking CTS by any means I am just passing on what a fan said to me.

Seems like the Friday show wasn't much of a success. No fans and no car count.

CTS has some top notch management in place. If something isn't working they are going to fix it.

Question is how to fix Friday's show. If I made the decisions, I would see if thing improved for the next race weekend and if they didn't, I would make Friday's a practice session for the classes on Saturday. Of course this would leave those classes on Friday with no place to race because the Saturday line up seems to be a success and I doubt they are going to add classes on Saturday. Especially classes who have 3 cars.

One thing for sure, NASCAR racing is alive and well in Central Texas and things are going to just get better and better as time goes on. I think it is up to the racers on Friday to get the car counts up for their respective classes while they still have a place to race on a paved oval.

Just my opinion

Friday racing is a tough sell almost everywhere in Texas. There are a few well-established tracks that still thrive on Friday racing, but you can count them on one hand. Heart O' Texas is the shining example of a successful Friday racing operation. Texas IMCA teams flock to the Waco area track to pick up those all-important IMCA points. I suspect it would be an entirely different story if they were to decide to drop IMCA and go outlaw, which, of course, they will not.

Back in the 1970's, Austin's Paramount Speedway (later known as Longhorn Speedway) was reasonably successful running on Fridays, but much of it's success had to do with it running identical rules to Pan American Speedway in San Antonio, which ran on Saturdays. Both tracks were promoted by Ricci Ware and points at both tracks were good for a combined Championship. As I recall, Paramount started fairly late in the evening to accommodate as many of us working stiffs as possible.

From everything I've observed about the current CTS management team, they are serious about making Central Texas Speedway a success and are pouring far more resources into the place than Friday's attendance and car count numbers show. It would be very easy for them to just drop the Friday portion of their show, but I suspect they will give it a chance, but only if the numbers increase.

Time will tell, but in the meantime it behoves all of us to encourage teams competing in the Friday classes to show up and have a good time racing with their buddies.

Nick

was thoroughly displeased first that he had to pay to park

Notice how this pesky little item keeps coming up. Houston's success did not come by charging $20 to get in the races.

I suspect that if parking and spectator general admission were free, fans would have still been disappointed because of the low car count on Friday.

Hell my race sucked. The car drove like a 72 international. But the racing was good, the management and officials were available to answer questions, no major problems, great pay for such small car counts and a heluva show on stage afterwards!!!!! Tim, Jim, Chris, Brad and the rest of the CTS staff did a great job for opening night. The exact words from Tim Self to me, and probably others was "please just keep coming back. We are here for the long haul". Oh and he maybe mentioned something about get a better setup or something. Lol!!!

The one thing i liked the best, i had fun. Overall it was fun. Sure there were some problems but its been many years since i could just come race for fun.

For those that did not attend, save your opinion until you do. From what I've seen, the management is very committed to the race facility. They advertised the hell out of the race. If you did not attend, or did not bring your cars out, it's on YOU. The payout was the best this track has had by far since I've been around. If you're not racing for the money, good for you. If you're not racing because of hurt feelings, no one can help you. Maybe you will feel better when there is no place to run on asphalt. It almost happened. It's an asphalt track in Texas right in your backyard. 5 modifieds tells me they're not in it for the money. Trucks...I see trucks destroyed week after week in Houston. The 8 or 9 that showed for this race ran a clean 40 laps. Bottom line...the track is here. It's up to you to attend. It's up to the track to get it right. So far they are trying. Are they perfect...nope. Will they make adjustments...probably. Again, low car counts is on YOU, the car owners. Everything was so easy, especially in the tech. Not sure what else you guys want. I get the Friday night issues. That would be tough. But Saturday, makes no sense. If it comes down to cost to get in, talk to management. So far, from what I've witnessed, they actually listen.

Very well said, I agree totally. All concerned will learn and improve with time. Lets all support

asphalt racing in Central Tex!!

Fortunately for me I was able to make the friday race. I know that others had work issues. I did put my personal feelings aside because I have a car and I want to "Race". If the friday show doesn't work out and those classes get cut I will know it wasn't my fault. I like being 14.5 miles from a race track but it's not the only track I can race at. There is SAS, Corpus and Houston has invited my class. Having the money for expenses will be my only real problem. I didn't make the Saturday show but followed it through Nick Holt. There was some fluff with ride alongs. If fridays don't work out I think there is room for more classes saturday with racing starting earlier and maybe shorter amount of laps.

Once the car counts start coming up I think they are on to something. Seemed to be a real smooth show with not a whole lot of problems.

I agree with you. I thought everything went really smooth. As for car count, the only class that were not as high as expected was the Pro Mod's

Twelve Pro Late's put on a great show on that 3/8 mile track. The Trucks as well, plus all the early show classes had decent counts. The Dwarf's always put on a good show with lots of cars. I think 16. Same with the NasKarts and the Texas Pro Sedans. Both those classes had at least TEN.

Rodney did an outstanding job announcing. He is really honing his craft. Saturday night was the best I have ever hear him announce. He kept everyone entertained if anything got the least bit slow.

My hat is off to everyone at CTS and also to the staff at OTX for pitching in to make sure everything went as planned. CTS is following in the footsteps of HMP meaning they will be a world class facility in short order just like HMP is now.

My plan was to just get tires Friday for SAS race and ended up going back home to get my car . They have done an awesome job with that place and just wanted to help out on car count . I had a good time Friday night there , with the wrong gear and no clutch still had fun ! With time CTS will get better !!!

I am very aware of the face that the flagman passed away... I worked him for the last several months... My prayers are out to his family....

On a side note, I was the head flagman there for a few years prior, AND i did try to make contact with the track in regards to helping out with the flagging on friday and was never told yes to flagging. I offered to help out but never was told to help...

Well nathan I sure am glad you are flagging for cbs!!!!

Archived