Interesting entry for San Antonio April 20th.

txtom

From Speed51:

Spencer Davis to Run San Antonio PLM "Fiesta" in April

PLM - 3/25/13

Fourteen-year-old Dawsonville, Georgia Pro and Super Late Model racer Spencer Davis has added the first-annual "Fiesta on Asphalt" Pro Late Model event at Texas' San Antonio Speedway April 19 and 20 to his racing schedule.

I wasn't a driver - and my interest never really has been to drive - I've always loved the mechanical side more. But I think it's not always the parents pushing.

I lied about my age - at 12 I said I was 14 (minimum age to be in pits then), at 13 the track steward and I laughed because I got one over on him as I again said I was 14. At 14 he was angry but I had an ID to back me up.

My parents had NOTHING to do with it. It was MY love for the sport... they simply signed the consents.

Now as a parent I understand what you are saying. I would be cautious and hesitant to allow my kids (moot point now though they are all grown) to participate due to the danger. I feel that if a parent is not weighing the danger against the kids talent and ambition - that is problematic and I would consider it "pushing" as you say...

Edit to add - by danger I don't just mean physical - but the emotional dangers of placing them in situations that require a maturity level they have not quite attained!

Well when parents with money see other kids racing ar a young age and see them on t.v., it gives them ideas how to make their kids be in the spot light and see dollar signs and get the attention. Yes, I do believe they get pushed more than they should. But, if they are good and have talent, the results tell the story. Money shouldnt tell a story because it wouldnt be a story.

Not trying to disrespect the kid or his driving talent but 14 years old? My personal opinion is parents are pushing these kids way to fast way too young.

Not going to express my opinion on the age thing, but look at some of the fields, and 14 is nothing anymore.

Google "Harrison Burton", Jeff Burton's son. You will see that he started in PLM cars last year at the ripe old age of 11. Eleven, to show that was not a typo.

If you look back in the dusty old archives of Texas Speedzone... There was a lenghty post about a Young Kyle Sirrizotti racing legacy cars and racing at SAS I dont remember how old he was at the time but I think he was around 13 or 14... maybe younger... If someone has the time to find it we are saying the same things now that were said then...

Ever since Jeff Gordon burst on to the scene the drivers seem to be getting younger and younger. Back then it was a big deal for a 16 year old to be in a sprint car.

Nice to see the out of town interest for SAS.

Dillon Spreen was 11 when he started in a legacy car..A bunch of young drivers have come up thru the ranks: Levi, Jake and Jake, Kyle, Taylor, Dillon and Trey to name a few. I have seen plenty of “older” drivers forgetting to turn left or what side the brake peddle was on..etc. I think it’s just easy to point the finger at someone’s age when he or she is in the middle of a mess. Stop and think about the ages of the drivers who got caught up in stuff last year…THR-HMP-CC Speedway. I don’t recall reading anything like “dang it, that 40 something driver just……..” or “that 35 year old can’t see past the hood”

WELL HE MUST HAVE PROVEN HIMSELF OR ELSE HE WOULD NOT TRAVEL THIS FAR ..14 IS YOUNG ,,BUT SEEMS TO ME MOST OF THE 14 YEAR OLD IVE HEARD OF OR SEEN HAVE GROWN UP BEHIND THE WHEEL .AND ARE AHEAD OF THEIR NORMAL AGE GROUP.USE TO BE A WOMEN ON THE TRACK WAS THE ISSUE AND NOW LOOK WHO IS IN NASCAR AND RACING AT YOUR LOCAL TRACK .I REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN WOMEN WERE NOT EVEN ALOUD IN THE PITS .............FORD 27 MY SON 21 IS MORE MATURE THAN SOME HE HAS OR IS CURRENTLY RACING WITH ..

My daughter started at 14 in a bomber class at age 16 she got champion in that class and the first girl to get a championship at this track since its been open ,and in a different class there there was another lady got champion too .This driving has helped her with the public driving ,its got her out of a lot of trouble

My comment is this,

Ive seen a 38 year veteran pull a bone head move and wreck half the field in a latemodel race after starting on the pole. I have also seen a pre-legal to drive on Texas public roads, wreck the same amount of cars in a latemodel race after starting near the front. The 38 yo had to deal with two different drivers get in his face after the race, the youngster, protected by security, parents, and track management.

I agree that once you strap on a 3000 pound missle you are just another competitor. But age, or lack there of, should not be a get out of jail free card. Ive seen talented younger drivers, and those without talent but mommy and daddy with plenty of money to keep the kid running and without respect of those around them and no reprocussion because "their just kids".

Now, with that said, I gave up on one class I raced in not because of the younger drivers, but the older ones with money who have never developed talent and just drive 6 blocks past there talent level.

I wish this new guy the best of luck. Maybe the older crowd, me included, can take notes. ;)

If you don't know who the kid is then maybe you should research before saying anything negative....www.spencer-davis.net

Age may determine a lot of things in regards to life experience but in regards to racing, I believe experience comes from competitive laps against stiff competition. In saying this, Spencer Davis (14 yr old) has more experience than a lot of us, maybe me included. Already this year he has raced in 24 races on the east coast against some very talented competition and has done quite well.

24 races in 2013

11 top 5 finishes

18 top ten finishes

Also he made the race for the snowflake last year and finished 16th.......just making the race means you can drive and you have good equipment...

Ive never met the kid but after looking at his resume, welcome to SAS and good luck

... Ive seen a 38 year veteran pull a bone head move and wreck half the field in a latemodel race after starting on the pole. I have also seen a pre-legal to drive on Texas public roads, wreck the same amount of cars in a latemodel race after starting near the front. The 38 yo had to deal with two different drivers get in his face after the race, the youngster, protected by security, parents, and track management.

I agree that once you strap on a 3000 pound missle you are just another competitor. But age, or lack there of, should not be a get out of jail free card. Ive seen talented younger drivers, and those without talent but mommy and daddy with plenty of money to keep the kid running and without respect of those around them and no reprocussion because "their just kids"...

I see where you are going with this, racer61, and you have a very good point.

Am I the only one who has heard, "Have at it, boys - as long as it's on the front straight?"

OK. I kinda like that philosophy even though I don't necessarily believe that fisticuffs is the best way to solve disagreements. But on the other hand, I have always believed that racers should have the ability to "self-police" rather than allow the track play mommy and daddy for a group of grown men and women.

But suppose Bayley Currey and Joe Aramendia were to "have at it" on the front straight one night. Let me stop right here for a second. I am using Bayley and Joe as the example since they are teammates and both have good heads on their shoulders and would never end up fighting on the front straight. However, should that unlikely event ever occur, there wouldn't be a lack of witnesses and video, that's for sure. I wonder how long before we'd be discussing whether 20 years behind bars was too much or too little for Joe.

Or suppose instead of "having at it" on the front straight, Joe made a beeline for Bayley's pit after the race. I'm certain Marc, Bayley's dad, would step in along with numerous track officials and perhaps even a security official or two. "You can't harass a kid, Joe." But if it had been Joe heading over to Ian Webster's pit, well, Katy bar the door!

I guess I'm sort of in the middle on this particular discussion. I think self-policing under the so-called "Madhouse Rules" works very well and adds a component back into racing that had been missing for a while in Texas asphalt venues after the tracks decided to referee races rather than simply provide a level playing field and let the drivers sort it out.

But the same rules don't apply to minors - and that's the issue here.

One solution is to ban minors from racing. Another is to use two sets of standards. And that's what we're doing now and seems to be the lesser of two evils, so to speak. Is there a third, better option?

Nick

These NASCAR Drivers are getting younger everyday !!!....Wild Child Motorsports is Happy to announce the recent signing of a young up and comer w/ several Wins and many top five finishes under her belt in just the past two years in a Dirt Go Cart. A last Name you might recognize Rylie HEIL !! Will be Flying the Wild Child Motorsports Colors in the next few weeks. Here you see we are getting her fitted into one of our NEW Modifieds for Testing @ HMP this week.....lol :unsure: Comeing to a Track near You !

post-3-1364411047.jpg

These NASCAR Drivers are getting younger everyday !!!....Wild Child Motorsports is Happy to announce the recent signing of a young up and comer w/ several Wins and many top five finishes under her belt in just the past two years in a Dirt Go Cart. A last Name you might recognize Rylie HEIL !! Will be Flying the Wild Child Motorsports Colors in the next few weeks. Here you see we are getting her fitted into one of our NEW Modifieds for Testing @ HMP this week.....lol :unsure: Comeing to a Track near You !

post-3-1364411047.jpg

Will she have a NERF fire extinguisher? LOL

I WASNT GOING TO POST BECAUSE MY KID RACES BUT I GOT TO THINKING YOU KNOW HES STARTED RACING WHEN HE WAS FIVE IN QUARTER MIDGETS AND HE DID THAT FOR 8 YEARS THEN AT 13 I MOVED HIM INTO A MICRO MINI SPRINT ON DIRT. AND THAT WAS A TEST FOR ME. AND A NERVEOUS ONE BECAUSE NOW HES RACING WITH GROWN MEN AND WOMEN! BUT WITH NO SUPRISE HE HELD HIS OWN WENT ON TO WIN A COUPLE OF RACES AND FINISH 3RD IN POINTS. THE NEXT YEAR HE WON MORE RACES AND WON THE 2010 CHAMPIONSHIP. THEN IT WAS OFF TO THUNDERHILL TO RACE A STOCK CAR AT 15 GOING 16 IN THE THUNDER STOCK CLASS. HE WON TWO RACE HIS ROOKIE YEAR AND WON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR. THEN LAST YEAR HE WON 5 RACES AND TWO OF THOSE WERE THE BIGGEST RACES OF THE YEAR FOR HIM AT THE SPECTECLOR AT THUNDERHILL AND OCTFEST SAN ANTONIO SPEEDWAY. SO I GUESS WHAT I`M SAYING THEY MAY SOUND A LITTLE YOUNG WHEN YOU HERE THEIR GOING TO BE IN A LATE MODEL WHEN REALLY THE KID MAY HAVE BEEN RACING MOST OF HIS LIFE IN SOME TYPE OF CAR. DONT GET ME WRONG MY SON HAS MADE SOME BONE HEAD MOVES BEFOR . BUT I THINK IF YOU ASK AROUND THEY WOULD SAY HES A PRETTY GOOD DRIVER. AND IVE SEEN SOME ADULTS MAKE SOME REALLY CRAZY MOVES TO AND THEY HAVE BEEN RACING MUCH LONGER. SO LETS GIVE THE YOUNG ONES A CHANCE TO WE MAY BE SUPRISED. :ph34r:

Archived