In the late model rules, all other engines add 250 pounds. Ive never seen a "super latemodel" have to weigh 3000 pounds before. Im sure there is a reason for this. Not sure i understand since lead effects handling not straightaway speed. Its a step in the right direction to allow the SLM's that are still garage kept collecting dust but that rule doesnt make much sense. A crate car and a super are basicaly the same car with different engines. So one has more horsepower (in theory) so your gonna penalize the handling?? Maybe a carb or restrictor plate rule would be a better penalty. Limit the HP for big HP motors.

Just an observation

If I remember right, i think I saw the supers run with crates at SAS, ( maybe romco? Maybe it was somewhere else) Seems like it actually made good racing because the supers would just about be able to pass on the starights but when they got to the corners the lighter cars would dive in farther and over take the supers by about have a car coming out. The supers would then over take the crates by about half a car on the starights and it was back and forth back and forth game of cat and mouse. Made some exciting racing, just not sure how it will play out on the 3/8. i cant imagine 400 lbs of lead in a car tho. seems that would slow a super down about 3-5 tenths?

If I remember right, i think I saw the supers run with crates at SAS, ( maybe romco? Maybe it was somewhere else) Seems like it actually made good racing because the supers would just about be able to pass on the starights but when they got to the corners the lighter cars would dive in farther and over take the supers by about have a car coming out. The supers would then over take the crates by about half a car on the starights and it was back and forth back and forth game of cat and mouse. Made some exciting racing, just not sure how it will play out on the 3/8. i cant imagine 400 lbs of lead in a car tho. seems that would slow a super down about 3-5 tenths?

Yes that did happen in the USRA days. We ran a few races like that. The extra lead is a universal penalty. Although I believe that the big HP motors should be penalized some, I dont think lead is the way to go as most cars just dont have the frame support to hold that much ballast. One small wreck and you could destroy a chassis. This is all just my opinion but I think a restrictor plate or small carb rule would make better sense. Penalize the HP of big motors, not the handling.

But dont get me wrong, these guys are giving the cars that have been sitting a chance to get out of the garage and make some noise so Im loading up on pizza and greasy hamburgers. :lol:;)

Yes that did happen in the USRA days. We ran a few races like that. The extra lead is a universal penalty. Although I believe that the big HP motors should be penalized some, I dont think lead is the way to go as most cars just dont have the frame support to hold that much ballast. One small wreck and you could destroy a chassis. This is all just my opinion but I think a restrictor plate or small carb rule would make better sense. Penalize the HP of big motors, not the handling.

But dont get me wrong, these guys are giving the cars that have been sitting a chance to get out of the garage and make some noise so Im loading up on pizza and greasy hamburgers. :lol:;)

I think I agree...what do you think about a 390 carb rule for open motor? Instead of weight penelty. Might be a better option.

I think I agree...what do you think about a 390 carb rule for open motor? Instead of weight penelty. Might be a better option.

The 390 sounds like a good idea. BUT...I ran the 9-1 motors back then and the 390, while its says its 390 cfm is not. Its much much more. If it was a box stock, Id say yes. But a VDL, Blake or any other carb dealer will have no trouble making over 600 cfm. So on a super motor your still in the high 5 to 600 hp range. I dont have the answers but I was thinking a 2bbl. A 4412 hp maybe. The 2 bbl cuts out some of the acceleration of a large motor. But again, this is only my opinion. I am basing this off of what I tried on my big motor in a modified trying to change acceleration characteristics.

In the late model rules, all other engines add 250 pounds. Ive never seen a "super latemodel" have to weigh 3000 pounds before. Im sure there is a reason for this. Not sure i understand since lead effects handling not straightaway speed. Its a step in the right direction to allow the SLM's that are still garage kept collecting dust but that rule doesnt make much sense. A crate car and a super are basicaly the same car with different engines. So one has more horsepower (in theory) so your gonna penalize the handling?? Maybe a carb or restrictor plate rule would be a better penalty. Limit the HP for big HP motors.

Just an observation

Weight does effect the car on straight aways. For every 100 pounds you add, u lose a tenth off your lap time.

ATTENTION ALL DRIVERS: CTS will be making some announcements very soon regarding scheduling, official extended purse payouts, and more. Please stay tuned to LSSZ, our website, and Facebook for full details. And don't forget to attend the Driver/Crew Meet n Greet on March 9th at 2pm at the track for a general Q&A.

Jim

CTS-GM

Archived