intresting

thumper

This thread has no value so if you dont like minies or history dont read.

On another thread above a thread was started with the title Minies.A lot of negative things were said as well as positive things.To read the comments you would think no one is intrested in 4 cyl cars.But if you look at how many people read this thread,its got more intrest than any other topic on that page with over 2500 hits.Sure doesnt sound like a dead subject to me and thats a good thing.I know no Chevy guy will ever convert to a sport compact but there are a lot of people who want to.For most its the only oppourtunity to become a part of the fantastic show STS hosts every race nite.After performing for a ghost audience in past ears its fantastic to pull on the track and see all the people in the stands.It is my hope and Owens intentions to bring this class back to life like he had it in the mid 2000s.He offers the leadership and support needed to achieve this.

On a personal note,I think I have almost figgured out how to race on this track.Its not like it was a few years ago when it re-opend.My brother and I were lucky enough to win our divisions on that first nite,he in modified and me in Thunders.But lately I cant outrun anybody so I studied the track and cars.What I learned is its really fast now but it also requires a firm suspension similar to asphalt but with weight transfer for something between dry slick and heavy dirt.Its really challanging and most of the STS racers have it figgured out.Thats why you can have a 3 wide finish at tremendous speed with the rear hung out on 3 different grooves.

I recommend any and all race car drivers to take this challange of racing here no matter what type of car you have.Modifieds,Pures,Streets,Lates,whatever.Even minnies.This is a short track that drives like a superspeedway.Ive seen these guys get out of their cars after a feature and they look like they went 10 rounds with bigfoot.Sweaty,tired,you know they drove theit aces off.No Sunday drive but a real workout.

Anyway like I said this is just an old man rambeling and has no value.Its just so great to be alive even in this climate.Cant wait for Sat.

In the eyes of the beer holder for sure like Saturday night ice cold 16oz -$1 dollar lone star and lone star light . Plus on top of some great 3 wide racing there will be a red dirt legend named Brandon Jenkins putting on a killer concert. So I agree all has value in the eyes of the beer holder. Now bring you 4 cyl ride out to sts and have some fun........

Well said Mr. Carter especially the ghost audience! I guess I'm one of those negative guys but it has nothing against minis per say.I see things from the fan angle and watching 3-5 cars run a feature is not much fun whether it is a sport compact or a LLM. I totally respect the work and time spent in building and racing a car.And Owen deserves all the credit in the world for creating or giving a class a place to race.I understand he was told by one class if he opens a class he would get 10-12 cars.To date that hasn't happened but one time I think.I know it takes time to get a class off the ground.So far the econo-mod class is the only one growing.And G.B. is right there are a lot of mini's around enough to get 10+ car fields.And Owen is giving everyone time to grow the class.Hopefully it can grow and be what it was when Owen had CCS.

I think this track calls out to older driver (take with a grain salt) it did me its just a easy place to feel at home I just feel comfortable the way Owen runs it and the way the racers treat each other and way they connect to the crowd in the stands it is intresting LOL

To jump on this thread, I will offer an observation as someone who studies operations and how a promoter runs the operation. Owen has become a great announcer and to have stayed at running a track this long, tells me he really cares about what he is doing. We were there last weekend, and the crowd was entertained by the announcer and the racing. A good combination. And, impressive car counts and fan counts. And now after my daughter had the opportunity to run her street stock there last week, she has listed STS as one her favorite racing surfaces along with me.

Personally I wish I lived closer to STS so I could take full advantage of the complex. Our racing careers started way back in the Riverside Speedway days, carried over to C.C. Speedway and then Goliad when it opened. We relocated to Houston and we ran at Big H, Battleground and all of the outlining tracks all over the place that have come and gone over the years. But there is something about the Corpus area that we are always feel drawn too. The racing fans have always been incredible and the competition has always been top notch. Owen has somehow captured what most tracks cant seem to get and that is "IT". Whatever "IT" is he has been able to get it. I am sure its alittle different from fan to fan or driver to driver but regardless STS is the total package and we look fwd to coming when we can. My personal wish is the street stocks would actually adopt rules closer to I37 so us and others can come without having to change alot of bolton items and get back to enjoying STS, the competition and the great fans.

Archived