SAS website

Mark39

Most of the rules for the stock bodied cars are very similar to the asphalt tracks... You would be surprised at how many former asphalt cars call I37 home now... I think it will be good in the long run and if its just for special events I dont think we need to worry about who is losing cars to whom. There are ALOT of people who have an affinity for SAS. Im one of them. I grew up there along with alot of others. I have done quite a bit there and have tons of memories except for one. If it reopens I will do everything I can to get a car and live my dream. I loved the racing at the dirt track but SAS is a totally different animal.

I wouldn't be surprised at all actually.

On another note, it is funny to keep reading this and if I knew how to subscribe to it I would; I don't want to miss a thing...LOL

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sure would make an AWESOME dirt track. IMCA could hold the Southern Sportmod Nationals there as well as other big shows. Bring in USMTS and ASCS twice a year. Just dreaming out loud so dont go to bashing dirt vs asphalt...

if they plan on making money , DIRT is the way to go..

are you sure they are making money...or making just enough to stay open .or are they turning a profit....and by looking at fee.s .plus pit entry ...you the drivers pay you own purse.... not saying that.s bad .

SAS a dirt track? LOL. Thats funny. SAS ALWAYS had great car counts and support and held big shows there every year. Second, i dont think anyone plans on making any money having a race track in Texas. LOL. Pretty sure its just what they want to do from their day to day time.

Hi-tech ,not sure what HMP is doing but it sures seems to be doing it right....as far as drivers paying their own purse how many dirt tracks don't charge for pit passes??? So that way aren't the drivers paying their own purses??? , this is suppose to be about everyone being excited about San Antonio being revitalzed for racing...just saying.

Who cares about a purse? Drivers and fans need to be happy and thankful that the track that has been closed for 5 years is coming back. Send an email thanking these people for doing this for ya'll. You dirt guys are dreaming if you think it would ever be a dirt track. You have around 20 dirt tracks in Texas. What more do you want?

SAS a dirt track? LOL. Thats funny. SAS ALWAYS had great car counts and support and held big shows there every year. Second, i dont think anyone plans on making any money having a race track in Texas. LOL. Pretty sure its just what they want to do from their day to day time.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, Jason, but there were many years that SAS was just barley squeaking by and several years where the track operator took major losses. Facts, not speculation or wishful thinking.

But I do agree that anyone investing major capital into a traditional short track had better be able to live off income from another source.

I would be delighted if SAS were to be re-born. I've been directly involved since it opened. Well, that first year we stood with Pan American Speedway and Ricci Ware as he attempted to compete with the new Highway 16 Raceway (as it was then known) and as he fended off lawsuits from the encroaching neighborhoods on Toepperwein Road. Of course, the next year PAS closed and we all moved to the half-mile.

Nick

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, Jason, but there were many years that SAS was just barley squeaking by and several years where the track operator took major losses. Facts, not speculation or wishful thinking.

But I do agree that anyone investing major capital into a traditional short track had better be able to live off income from another source.

I would be delighted if SAS were to be re-born. I've been directly involved since it opened. Well, that first year we stood with Pan American Speedway and Ricci Ware as he attempted to compete with the new Highway 16 Raceway (as it was then known) and as he fended off lawsuits from the encroaching neighborhoods on Toepperwein Road. Of course, the next year PAS closed and we all moved to the half-mile.

Nick

I just get my info from being there since 1986 and competing, watching good car counts and events but does not mean your making money at all with car count.

Hi-tech ,not sure what HMP is doing but it sures seems to be doing it right....as far as drivers paying their own purse how many dirt tracks don't charge for pit passes??? So that way aren't the drivers paying their own purses??? , this is suppose to be about everyone being excited about San Antonio being revitalzed for racing...just saying.

Just taking a jab at walt ..my understanding as i read his post ....if you want to make money dirt is the only way to go .....its all good with me .just taking a jab at him ...................as for excitement over sas .....well you cant measure it .... as for dirt or any other typ of racen ..just glad tracks are open and racen is alive.

That sure would make an AWESOME dirt track. IMCA could hold the Southern Sportmod Nationals there as well as other big shows. Bring in USMTS and ASCS twice a year. Just dreaming out loud so dont go to bashing dirt vs asphalt...

You 2 could be on to something. Rumor is Gonzales and Knudtson are involved----or maybe they just want to try their hand at asphalt. ;)

Who cares about a purse? Drivers and fans need to be happy and thankful that the track that has been closed for 5 years is coming back. Send an email thanking these people for doing this for ya'll. You dirt guys are dreaming if you think it would ever be a dirt track. You have around 20 dirt tracks in Texas. What more do you want?

That was well said!!!

Athough we have been through this rumor many times only to be let down, I don't blame the people for not wanting to put out their phone numbers after seeing all the complaining on here already, I'm sure their phones would be blowing up 24/7. I'm just gonna sit back, stay positive and hope for the best.

are you sure they are making money...or making just enough to stay open .or are they turning a profit....and by looking at fee.s .plus pit entry ...you the drivers pay you own purse.... not saying that.s bad .

Take a drive up to Killeen or KSP and then tell me dirt tracks aren't making money. Huge car counts and full stands. "B" mains for some of the classes. HMP is the only asphalt track in Texas doing well...out of the three that are left. Keep in mind all the IMCA tracks run under the same rules so you can run almost anywhere on Friday or Saturday. We even run on Sunday for special events. By the way, at Killeen it's $25 for car and driver. Same as a pit pass.

:lol: The arguments that get started on here sometimes!? Are we really arguing about how dirt tracks make more money than asphalt tracks!?!?!?! I thought this discussion was about how probably the BEST track in this part of the country is about to be revitalized and that Texas was now going to have the opportunity to have a half mile track back in its roster of tracks. Personally, I AM PUMPED. This has been probably the most action anyone has taken since its closing in 2007 to bring back SAS. The bickering back and forth is really taking away what really is happening. Let us as a racing community stand behind these guys and give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully with that support, we'll be flying around the "ole gal" come October. Power to all the guys attempting to make this happen!!!

Congratulations to all you dirt guys. We get it. You love dirt. But, if you love dirt so much why do you continue to look over the fence at the asphalt tracks and trash them. Leave us be.

If this track does reopen, I imagine it to be like A Field of Dreams, at least for a little while...

Changed a few words...hope I don't get in trouble for that.

Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to SAS for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along front straight away, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the race and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been racing. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But racing has marked the time. This track, this sport: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Would love to see this track come back! I would race in the street stock class! I bet there are alot of old cars still sitting in shops from the last race there that would be back too! This is great news and i look forward to seeing what happens! Best of luck to those involved rebuilding this track! I support what you are doing!

Matthew Hodge

Congratulations to all you dirt guys. We get it. You love dirt. But, if you love dirt so much why do you continue to look over the fence at the asphalt tracks and trash them. Leave us be.

If this track does reopen, I imagine it to be like A Field of Dreams, at least for a little while...

Changed a few words...hope I don't get in trouble for that.

Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to SAS for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along front straight away, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the race and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been racing. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But racing has marked the time. This track, this sport: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

:D:D:D great parody, well done

jay

"Take a drive up to Killeen or KSP and then tell me dirt tracks aren't making money"

Granted, it's easier to turn a profit with a healthly income line but income does not equal profit. No one can devine a level of profitability without regard to the expense line of the ledger....(not lecturing, just pointing out)

I have been to KSP and completely agree with your assessment of the operation there.

Short tracks can't be dollar printing presses or more wouldn't be closing than opening :(

jay

Dirt guys will be dirt guys and well the asphalt guys will be the other guys...LOL :P I'm relatively new to this forum compared to most but I really haven't seen much dirt/ashphalt trashing. I've see where one side or the other tries to to plead their case for their love but no trashing. If I would have known this thread would have got so much interest I would have named my site after SAS or something...LOL

Archived