CAR SAFETY INSPECTION

i37DirtTrackMama

hey jim and eric, kevin sharber (father of gokart driver #12) has about 50 fire extinguishers to donate to the track ! he is going to nascar race but i will see if Julie LOL can bring them saturday for the track and drivers to have in the pits and along front straight fenceline!!they are like 10-20pounders!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to step in on this, because I thought it was a positive thread that will ultimately help the track and the racers that race there, but some are trying to make those that are commenting look like bashers.

If you've ever seen someone burned in a crash, you'll never forget the sites and sounds, and you won't ever want to see it again. When we had our store open, racers would come in to buy the $99 single layer suits....I always tried to talk them into spending the money for a double or triple layer, or at least Nomex underwear. And, if you have one of those single layer Proban suits that is over a year old, you should pitch it in the garbage can and not race another race until you can buy a good Nomex suit.

Now, Joy has posted that the infield personell will wear fire suits----that's good. Cars will all have 5lb fire extinguishers----that's good. And, if you don't like the mounting, then permanently mount it with the nozzle aiming at you.

Do you realize how long 34 sec is in a fire, especially when a really good fire suit is only protective for about 15 sec. As far as getting out is concerned, what if you're jammed in or upside down. Or even something simple like when Chris Davidson crashed at CCS, ruptured the fuel cell and wound up against the wall WITH THE DRIVER'S SIDE TO THE WALL. The only way out was through the passenger side. Do you realize how long it takes to climb over all those bars?

Thank you Greg and Aaron and Paul (post below). It's not bashing, it's good sense.

I've been waiting for this thread, and I feel it's very positive. Just bringing personal safety to the forefront is contraversial, as there are soooo many factors. It always seems to take a tradegy that's close to home before the real issues are addressed. Fortunately, it's not too late for Eric, he survived, as did the driver of the 44.

It gets hot in Texas, and New Mexico, and Iowa, and Oklahoma, and about everywhere in the summer. Fire suits, bunker gear, even long pants and shirts can feel like you're in an oven. A couple thoughts and observations:

Don't throw your single-layer suit away, wear it in the pits when working on the car; It'll save your good suit for the confines of the car where you need it most, and gives it a chance to dry some between hot laps/heats, main events.

Cockpit fire extinguishers: I'm not a big fan either unless it's small, very well secured, and properly maintained. Pretty hard to find room in open-wheel classes.

On-board permanent systems: I AM a big fan, and disagree with a previous comment regarding effectiveness on a fire the size of that one. Incipient stage just means early, or before surrounding material gets hot enough for potential re-ignition. On-board systems can be deployed WAY before a rescue/fire crew can respond, and turn that fire into a non-event.

Rapid exit from the car has ALWAYS been my primary focus, that's why we built Flipr. I travel with it all over the place just to watch 99% of drivers walk by it, with one excuse or another as to why they don't need to practice getting out. Hey, that's cool, but at least practice getting out of yours blindfolded, holding your breath. Look for what's in your way, such as too small an opening..... Never take your helmet or gloves off until clear.

It's wishfull thinking to expect first responders to wear fire protective gear all the time and here's why: Your facility could go YEARS without a repeat incident, and human nature leans toward comfort. First response training is usually non-existant, and by that I mean FIRST responders, usually NOT the fire crew. Wrecker drivers, track workers on the 4-wheelers, guys like Eric. You WANT to do the right thing, again, human nature. The right thing is to approach with caution, assume the worst. I'm under no illusions here, that won't happen most of the time, but it needs to. We get caught up in the speed at which things take place, getting races over by curfew etc., but we really need to focus on what's really important: safety. It isn't just a word or a pain in the ass, it's about NOT getting hurt. Week after week nobody gets hurt, and that's truly the goal, but it can also create complacency.

Guys, work WITH your track, it's a good one, and everyone is human. Stay hydrated my friends!

Well I was going to go off on this post......BUT....need to stay relaxed/unstressed right now....need to keep my bloodpressure down to a rumble..

So I'll just say this.....I'll never understand why drivers make excuses for lack of proper safety gear, or race at tracks without proper safety crews...

Dry Powder Extinguihers 101:

Dry powder extinguishers need to have the powder fluffed. You have a canister such as a 5 #er, powder and then it's pressurized with nitrogen. The head of the extinguisher has a pick up tube that extends about 1 inch from the bottom of the canister. Whether the extinguisher is standing upright or laying on it's side for a period of time that will be were the powder will pack. The weight of the settled powder can be felt at this lowest point. Get a rubber mallit and tap on the bottom of the extinguisher while having the handle facing down and after awhile you will feel the powder shift and then it should work properly as long as it's still is in the green on the guage. If your extinguisher doesn't work properly or spits out the powder you now know why. :blink:

Well I was going to go off on this post......BUT....need to stay relaxed/unstressed right now....need to keep my bloodpressure down to a rumble..

So I'll just say this.....I'll never understand why drivers make excuses for lack of proper safety gear, or race at tracks without proper safety crews...

Hi Jay, so glad to see you typing. Hope your feeling better! Can't wait to see you at the track. PsS I do plan on harassing you if I see you with a cig. :). Take care of yourself

I had a fire bottle come loose in a crash at THR in my Legacy. I hit head on and the bottle mount came loose, shot forward, and set it off by the push button and broke away from the lines. Freaked me out when it went off. DO NOT have your bottle mounts secured with rivets!!!! They need to be bolted. I had no idea it had rivets holding the bottle mount in cause i never took the bottle out to see.

There is only one thing in a racecar that matters whether or not it gets burnedand that is the driver. A 5# extinguisher will not put out a fully envolved cockpit. Just get out and let the people in fire fighting gear take care of it.

Archived