CAR SAFETY INSPECTION

i37DirtTrackMama

I-37 Raceway officials will be conducting a car safety inspection on Saturday. Items that drivers need to be more aware of are the following:

1. A fire extinguishers in each car and a 10 pound extinquisher on EACH trailer.

2. Sealed fire walls on the inside of the car.

3. All lead weights painted white with the car number written on the weight bolted to the frame of the car with ½"” bolts. We have been finding loose weights on the track after the races. SECURE THEM.

4. Secured with proper welds to frame and body parts.

5. Window nets and window bars.

6. Specific kill switches.

7. Gas tank flapper valves or aircraft style gas caps.

8. Most important of all, you need to know how and be able to get out of your car quickly. If this requires practice or changing things inside your car, DO IT. Remember 34 seconds is a long time inside a car in a bad situation and you can’t get out.

9. Make sure all of your personal safety equipment to up to date.

If you know of anyone that may not see this post, please pass the word. If you have questions, please call 210-478-0111.

This is a great thing 37 is doing, I would also recomend in the future all cars stopping on the front stretch for a safety belt, glove and window check before the feature, cut out the 3-4 hotlaps, every one ease on the track and stop to check for the above items. I hope Eric is doing well and is able to be back soon.

Would also add checking for a scatter shield on cars with out steel bellhousings.

joe

5# fire ext. ? Please....show me a mount that will safely secure an extinguisher of that size? Did anyone see where the 44 cars ended up? It was not on the car...I can assure you of that. This is a safety issue more dangerous than I think you understand. It is actually very common for a fire ext. to come lose and break ribs, hands...helments.... and here is the best part.... A 5 # FIRE EXTINGUISHER will not put out almost any fire...with the exception of a small oil fire.

I think the important thing is to get out of the car. Period. Who is going to sit in the car and put a fire out? I undestand the cars need to be safe, but in this case...I think you will be causing more injuries than you will stop.

There are fire systems you can purchase that allow you to mount the bottle in a remote place and run lines to the fuel cell and driver's cockpit. You mount the emergency pull knob on the dash or wherever it is easily reached by driver or safety personel if needed. 5 lb systems start at $320. Small price to pay for one's safety if ever needed to protect you or a loved one.

I do understand that (and 2 of my cars have them)...but I have seen first hand what these systems can do... They are a nice thought....but, they will not even come close to putting out a fire like they had at the last race. But...this is still way better than mounting a removeable fire ext. Those are just plain dangerous, and have no business being inside a racecar.

I think some of yall might be missing my point...the post from the track states we need a 5# unit mounted inside the car....those are very big. Most re-moveable units are a 2# (or less)

But, as a side note. My personal feeling is....any second I waste on trying to activate (or use) a fire ext. is unsafe....the only good plan is to get out... I could care less if my car burns to the ground.

And...I think if someone really wants to make there chances better on not getting hurt in a fire....spend that 300 on a better fire suit. IMO

Seriously $320? And once again when a driver doesnt get his $25 for last place money to use at Whataburger he bitches! Get real guys. The last thing I want is a missile inside my car after getting put into the wall. There is no bracket like AJ said made for a fire extinguisher unless you clamp it and then its pretty much useless. The last thing I care about is putting my own self out when on fire while sitting in my car. In the pits sure awesome idea. I think the drivers by simply taking on more personal safety and getting their cars right is more then some can handle already. And again even sitting in the car for 34 seconds while on fire I understand the driver in this case was ok. If anything make the officials start wearing firesuits if they are first responders.

5# fire ext. ? Please....show me a mount that will safely secure an extinguisher of that size? Did anyone see where the 44 cars ended up? It was not on the car...I can assure you of that. This is a safety issue more dangerous than I think you understand. It is actually very common for a fire ext. to come lose and break ribs, hands...helments.... and here is the best part.... A 5 # FIRE EXTINGUISHER will not put out almost any fire...with the exception of a small oil fire.

I think the important thing is to get out of the car. Period. Who is going to sit in the car and put a fire out? I undestand the cars need to be safe, but in this case...I think you will be causing more injuries than you will stop.

Something better then nothing!!!!! Mount it with a metal strap the plastic ones will melt where its facing you so when you need to pull it it will spray you and around you. Glad to see their getting better at saftey. Hated see what happen out there before.

I have a $500 dollar fire suit and a fire system mounted in my car. Hope I don't need it but it makes me feel better. But I do agree with these guys on the portable fire extinguisher, without a good bracket it is dangerous.

Sorry everyone, it was my mistake. The fire extinquisher does not have to be a 5 pound; smaller is fine. Sorry if I got anyone upset; I had better stick to the concession stand because I KNOW that the burgers are 1/2 pound!! Oh, the first responders in the infield will have fire suits on from here on out also. I have revised the original post.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Joy Knudtson

we will be there and over 40 years in this game i have never seen a fire ext, proparly mounted come loose we do run a fire system i have seen to many hurt in fire and ,aj if your in a bad position you would grab a fire bottle ,and if my kid gets hurt because its to much trouble to find a way to mount one shame on me

Our cars meet all these rules and have been inspected at four IMCA tracks this year. These are all IMCA required items. I am however going to look into the remote fire system for both cars. I worry about my son's safety each time he races. I also have never had a fire extinguisher that was properly mounted come loose. Never would race a car without one. How many have an extinguisher in there pull truck? I have one mounted to the tool box of my truck, just in case. Have on in your shop?

Fire extinguishers are designed to handle an incipient stage fire only and anything above that requires a trained fire crew. An explosion like the 44 car was far from an extinguishers capacity and the fire crew did a great job handling that fire.

If you had ever been burned badly and spent time in a burn unit you would also take fire safety very serious. Been there and done that, don't want to go back or have my son endure that pain. If anyone can't make it Saturday because they dont have one let me know and I will see if I can get you one.

Glad to hear Eric is doing better and will be back at the track.

Darin

I know we keep talking drivers and Cars here.. Well i once was an official.. and think we have ignored something.. Anyone responding to a ontrack wreck should be required to wear fire suits as well.. That would have been the biggest lesson of this unfortunate chain of events!

Its not just about Drivers safety.. officials & support we need around too...

A man stepped to the plate,now some simi bashing is taking place...How many of you folks know how hard of work it is getting the track ready... The man is tired beyond your wildest thoughts..He did not need to JUMP in and save a mans life, But he did!!!, So he is in shorts and a comfort shirt, but he did something he was not part of, He helped put out a fire and saved some one...The track has a fire crew, and they were right there when it exploded, yes it caught many off guard, but look how it turned out...The main thing wrong is cars not up to safety standards!!!, You can blame the track, but lets be honest, its the drivers fault for NOT doing it right!!!!I have been there, done that..Went home so tired from being out there all day in 100 plus degrees., And now to hear folks say this was wrong, and that was wrong,,(BULLSHIT)!!,Why dont you folks saying this wear a firesuit all night long in the pits???, And hang out in the sun from noon till you go home at that...We know there is a danger in what we do, so if it fears you so much, make a donation to pay for all these things that would make it better,,,But to ERIC and his way of dressing, ITS HIS CHOICE!!!, But i still say THANK YOU!!!!, You are a HERO in my book!!!!!!,Frank Torres

Please don't think i am bashing what he did... All i am saying is Learning from it...

I was an official at THR for several years, In the infield and usually the first one before fire or anyone checking on drivers and needs.

I have had a car on fire and pulling a driver from them.. I rememeber turning a car with a trapped driver back on 4 wheels as it dumps fuel all over the place, including soaking the drivers suit. Ask Ozzy.. IT SUCKED!

What was i wearing when doing this, White Dockers & an a Blue Polo, with White Cotton Gloves so Drivers could see my hands.

All i am saying is Safety all around not just the Drivers.

Drivers do their part by keeping tabs on their car, Officials & track Safetly by keeping tabs on their personal safety.

I wasn't there & only saw the pictures... I've been car on fire before due to blown motors..

No matter what you do, you can't prevent everything.. and all you can do is the best you can do...

Yes it was a very unforunate deal, BUT we will all learn from this and make it better safer place to race, I have never worked at a track but could only imagine the time that gets put into it. there is a lot of behind the scene things we don't realize Eric and Jim do just to provide us a place to race, that being ONE of the reasons we are one of the most successful tracks and growing in the area. Hats off to what Eric did that night, and yes he was a true hero. just look at the picture of him on Top of the fire truck AFTER he got up from rolling on the ground on fire!!!

I would like to see a picture of your guys fire extuingisher mounts that are correct...because...to date...I have not seen one car in person that has a properly mounted removeable fire extuingsher. NOT ONE. Now, the on board systems are different. They mount with a good solid mount. The ones most people mount in their cars are not meant to be mounted in a race car. I have seen alot of these come loose.... the only removeable ones designed for racecars I have seen, are from speedway...they cost about 100$ but, are only a 1# unit.

Sure...alot of people have got by with the steel mounted snap fastener type fire ext. that is what the 44 had...and the mount was still attached to the car....but the ext. was gone...(and not from use) .

SO...if you guys have found a safe way to mount these... I personally think everyone will benifit from your pictures.....thanks....AJ

A man stepped to the plate,now some simi bashing is taking place...How many of you folks know how hard of work it is getting the track ready... The man is tired beyond your wildest thoughts..He did not need to JUMP in and save a mans life, But he did!!!, So he is in shorts and a comfort shirt, but he did something he was not part of, He helped put out a fire and saved some one...The track has a fire crew, and they were right there when it exploded, yes it caught many off guard, but look how it turned out...The main thing wrong is cars not up to safety standards!!!, You can blame the track, but lets be honest, its the drivers fault for NOT doing it right!!!!I have been there, done that..Went home so tired from being out there all day in 100 plus degrees., And now to hear folks say this was wrong, and that was wrong,,(BULLSHIT)!!,Why dont you folks saying this wear a firesuit all night long in the pits???, And hang out in the sun from noon till you go home at that...We know there is a danger in what we do, so if it fears you so much, make a donation to pay for all these things that would make it better,,,But to ERIC and his way of dressing, ITS HIS CHOICE!!!, But i still say THANK YOU!!!!, You are a HERO in my book!!!!!!,Frank Torres

Frank, well said I have been trying to think of way to say this. Ive been ticked all day long. Drivers and car owners need to look in the morning and get their cars right. Eric did not even have to respond to the situation he could of just let fire do their thing. Oh how easy it is for some to talk after the fact. Hopefully everyone is spending as much time checking their cars and making any necessary fixes as they are complaining. Let's turn this freak accident into a positive learning experience and all do the best we can to improve.

Where do you see "Semi Bashing" from anyone? Topic is safety and an official was hurt. I dont think anyone wants to relive that situtation. From the sound of it things could have easily been alot worse. First responders at the scene of a wreck need protection period or it will happen again. Just because it was a freak accident doesnt mean it wont happen again. I am sure alot of drivers are addressing their own safety issues, track needs to as well for their safety of their workers, officials and at the very least peace of mind. Turning this into something other then a safety topic is pretty rediculous! Asking infield officials to wear some type of protection isnt a big deal. From the the start of the drivers meeting all the drivers are in firesuits over the next several hours and working on their cars so whats the difference?

If you look at the pics, THE FIRE CREW was in full gear....The guy pulling the driver out IS in full gear..How bout the folks(PIT CREWS) at the fence using there own fire ext. helping out..Should there be a rule all in the pits should wear fire suits???Sounds STUPIED, but you draw the line some where....I dont care what track or where, there are workers in the infield dressed in shorts etc...From track photo guys to wrecker drivers...If it becomes a Job that is no fun, you wont have a track, because the money made at a racing event is pennies to a negative for what one does...And drivers DONT stay in that FIRE SUIT the WHOLE NIGHT generally, just for there race...And the infield worker would be in it for HOURS...That is the difference.....Frank T

Sorry everyone, it was my mistake. The fire extinquisher does not have to be a 5 pound; smaller is fine. Sorry if I got anyone upset; I had better stick to the concession stand because I KNOW that the burgers are 1/2 pound!! Oh, the first responders in the infield will have fire suits on from here on out also. I have revised the original post.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Joy Knudtson

I think most people missed the last part of joy's post here...

Joe

ok I NEED TO SAY SOMETHING USUALLY IT TAKES A BAD SITUATION TO MAKE CHANGES :blink: .TAKE FOR INSTANCE RYAN BARD :( HE DIED AND SO MANY PEOPLE JUMPED ON THE BAND WAGON ..AND SOME DIDN'T ..... BUT SO SOON PEOPLE FORGET THEN THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN.... :( PAUL LAPAIRE.... FROM RYAN BARD SAFETY FOUNDATION ;) IS A BIG BIG ADVOCATE FOR FIRE SAFETY NOT JUST FOR THE DRIVER BUT THE SAFETY CREW (THEY ARE NOT RACING)THEY ARE THERE TO MAKE SURE WERE SAFE ...YES ACCIDENTS HAPPEN BUT BIGGEST BIGGEST KEY IS THAT WE REMEMBER WHY WE NEED TO MAKE THINGS SAFE AND TO KEEP EM THERE IM THANKFUL THE FIRE CREW WAS THERE ..THERE WAS A TIME WHEN THEY WAS NOT ON THE SCHEDULE AND SO I SAY KEEP ON REMEMBERING AND STAY SAFE AND RACE SAFE BOYS AND GIRLS ....

AND THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW PAUL HE WAS RYAN BARD'S SOON TO BE FATHER IN LAW AND HE DEARLY LOVED THAT KID :( .....SO IT CAN CUT DEEP AND DESTROY LIVES THE SOUNDS AND IMAGES OF THAT NIGHT WILL NEVER EVER LEAVE MY MIND OR MY FAMILY AND MANY OTHERS ....

ERIC HAS USED ONE OF HIS 9 LIVES AND SO DID THE FIRE CREW HATS OFF TO EMMM ......;;JMO DONT TAKE ANYTHING THE WRONG WAY I DIDNT SPEND A DAY GOING OVER WHAT I TYPED ITS JUST A POINT TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT ...G DIDDY ...ALSO CHECK IT OUT GO LOOK ONLINE FOR RYAN BARD SAFETY FOUNDATION OR EVEN CALL PAUL HIS NUMBER IS 505-486-3080

I HAVE TO REMOVE SOME OF THE SAD FACES IT SAYS IM USING TO MANY EMOTIONS ..WTH ALL THIS SPENT UP EMOTION AND I CANT SHOW IT......

Archived