update on James Coles codition

racerjim2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WildRacer5 - Jason Smith does still have a back-up car but he rents it out to Mark Akerman every week. Tom Grothues no longer has a SAS car, in January of this year we purchased it from him and that’s the car we are currently running.

On the Simpson issue I believe your correct about jaski and I'm sure we do have the capability to sue on several different levels, however I look at it from a different standpoint. Like you said about the effort Simpson's putting forth to make the situation right is my main concern. It would be a different story if they tried to give me another helmet and just let the rest go. Everyone makes mistakes and I believe everyone deserves a chance to make right on them. I feel very fortunate that someone was looking over me and I was able to walk away and as long as Simpson takes this matter seriously to make sure this doesn't happen to someone else I see no reason to take it any further. I'm in this sport for the love of it and because I have dreams of making it to NEXTEL I don't want to give anybody a reason to look down on it in anyway, we already only get coverage on bad wrecks or incidents like these versus great races or accomplishments. I have used Simpson for 9 years of racing and this is the first time it has ever failed me and even though I know it only takes one time that’s not a bad record (and I've been in some bad wrecks)

Thanks for the questions and concerns and if there’s anything else that transpires over the next couple of days with Simpson I will let everyone know, but for now I urge everyone that can bring your helmets Saturday to get checked out.

REBELRACER - Texas Dirt Speedway is the first track that I raced at and I did have a camaro that was also orange and #14. It's funny to me that after everything we accomplished in TAMS and now how fast we have been are rookie year in Late Models I've gotten more recognition for this than anything, but as they say any publicity is good publicity! :D

WELL I HAVE WATCHED YOU RACE AT TEXAS DIRT, THE MODS AND NOW IN THE LATE MODELS AND I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE A GOOD DRIVER.........AGRESSIVE BUT SMOOTH..............YOU COULD HAVE WON A FEW TIMES THIS YEAR HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR SOMEONE TAKING YOU OUT OF A COUPLE OF THEM........IT SUCKS THAT THE HELMET DEAL HAPPENED AND HOPEFULLY SIMPSON WILL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOU.............IM PRETTY SURE HE WILL AFTER ALL THE NEGATIVE PRESS HE RECEIVED AFTER EARNHARDT DIED..............WELL GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR AND HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK RACING AGAIN SOON......................

cole tirckle, i dont know you and you dont know me, and i dont want this to sound like a bash. first off, i dont see how simpson is at fault, the helmet broke because of the wreck, and it sounds as if it didnt break, it might of taken your head off. second, a head restraint system may have helped keep you head attached as well as the helmet. third a good seat like a isp or something similar would of kept you in the seat better. now i do not know if you have any of these devices, if you do then i retract my statement and all is well. i just dont see how simpson is at fault when YOU wrecked YOUR car. you think you can sue simpson, well didnt dei already try that one? on our tams car #22 paul uses a hutchens and we only go to sas 3 times a year or so, our car is equiped with the same type of seat that im sure yours and many many other cars have. the head pads and rib pads are not desinged to take a hit like you took. again, dont take this as a bash, take it as a way to look at how to make YOUR car safer for YOU. i hope you get better soon and get back out on the track, this time with a safer car.

ups88john,

I don't think you have paid any attention to what James has been saying in his previous post. In regards to your statement............"I just dont see how simpson is at fault when YOU wrecked YOUR car. you think you can sue simpson, well didnt dei already try that one?" who said James is suing anyone???? He and the track are giving Simpson the opportunity to look into what caused the helmet to break and take the time to inspect the equipment of other drivers at our track. I'm sure if that would of been you hitting the wall as hard as he did your equipment may be in question too! James may not take your comments as a bash but as a fellow driver I personally see it that way. Sometimes there is a point where you need to M.Y.O.B because if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Not everyone is sue happy :)

Have a good one !

On the Simpson issue I believe your correct about jaski and I'm sure we do have the capability to sue on several different levels, however I look at it from a different standpoint.

oops, guess i should of read it a little better, my bad, let me pull my head out of my rear.

many apologies to cole.

big john

ups88john - I'll try not to take those statements personally. However, I was only replying to a question that was asking if I could sue Simpson, NOT just stating that I could if I wanted to. Also, in all the years I've been racing I have always gotten behind the wheel knowing what risk I was at and held nobody else responsible. With that being said, I do expect the safety equipment, when used properly, to withstand the forces that I experienced. Now as many of you know we have been in close contact with several Simpson employees and for those of you who don't know the whole story my helmet ripped from the rivet that was holding the metal bracing on the strap. We have also been informed from the Simpson rep that delivered my new safety equipment that there are many NEXTEL cup drivers with same style helmet, just different inner molds. So I would hope they could withstand the impact I had and then some. To the question about the seat, I never said anything about me leaving my seat or moving around too much under impact, as far as I'm concerned everything else did it's job. My seat is being replaced, as well as my belts because there not designed to take that kind of hit twice. I only have injuries because the force of impact and my belts held me in tight like they were suppose to, like I said before I consider myself LUCKY. I really feel I have been positive in every way about this whole incident and I apologize to anyone that thinks I have cried or overreacted about this. I know it's all a part of racing and trust me my parents and especially my dad, the crew chief, wouldn't allow me to even step into the car if he didn't feel it was safe enough and up to his standards. I'm not sure if you've ever driven before but coming from a driver when you hit the wall like I did at SAS and then have to look at cars coming over 100mph straight at you when you have no helmet on it feels kinda like they could take your head off and all of these posts, along with the discussions with Simpson, have been so another driver with the same type of helmet wont have to experience that and possibly not be as lucky as I was. I'm sorry ups88john if you feel I was rude in this post I just want everyone to know what happened. I hope you don't take it the wrong way, no hard feelings.

Guest RobCarter88

If you want to talk about a lawsuit, how about a driver staying on the track knowing he had brake problems. If the sanctioning series does not penalize them, now they are allowing you to race without brakes. Now that would be a lawsuit if someone got killed or injured.

If you want to talk about a lawsuit, how about a driver staying on the track knowing he had brake problems.  If the sanctioning series does not penalize them, now they are allowing you to race without brakes.  Now that would be a lawsuit if someone got killed or injured.

GET A LIFE...THAT IS OVER WITH...

All information about why the helmet broke isn't being released as of yet, I believe the engineers are still looking into that. The best advice that I can give anyone with a Simpson helmet is to come out to SAS and take advantage of their engineers inspecting helmets this weekend. I know some of you are racing in Corpus and Kyle this weekend making it hard to take advantage of this opportunity. I will talk to the Simpson rep about possibly going to other surrounding tracks (hopefully at the very least THR and CCS) or possibly coming back on a weekend when ROMCO isn't running.

Howdy everyone

FWIW, I was curious if you were wearing a HANS or some other head and nect restraint? Did it fail if you had one on?

If you didn't, I think you would be a prime candidate to speak out on using a head and neck restraint of some sort after an accident like yours. No matter the cost, you obviously have no control over fate! And, you can't put a price on living much less being able to walk and talk!!!

Glad to hear you are alright and hope you make it this weekend!

turbotoddie

Guest RobCarter88

Five Star,

Cant discuss issues involving their boy on here. They choose to sweep safety problems under the carpet. Wkr77, I have a life, enjoy it, and can post my opinions concerning the lack of safety. NOW QUIT YELLING AT ME, IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT MUCH, DONT READ IT. OK........See ya in Houston (if you are there)

good job James, glad to hear things are being looked at for the saftey of the sport we all love so much. I have known James Cole for a long time and I consider him one of my best friends, I will say this about him, It takes a lot of courage to get in a car and race the way he does, any jackass can get it and drive it, but race it like he does, on the edge every time, that takes some skill. I know his family as well, no way is he getting in a car that does meet the standards of many people. I know he is not looking to sue anyone over the helmet thing, I have the same model he does, bought it the same time he did, he informed me of all Simpson was doing to investigate what the problem was, and advised me to bring my helmet to the track for Simpson to inspect.

I for one as a driver dont ever like to hear about anyone getting hurt at the races, or anywhere for that matter.

I just wanted to say that I am glad James is doing ok with the injuries and I appreciate him sharing the information with all the folks here to learn from.

Archived