update on James Coles codition

racerjim2

Does anyone have an update on James Coles condition. he had a rough ride in turn one last night.Rumor has that it knocked his helmet off and had rib and right arm injurys after blowing tire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked with James about an hour ago, and he is feeling pretty rough but will be okay. He said he has a broken right hand and bruised ribs. James was recovering at home, and he will be going in for treatment on his hand on Monday. He is very lucky to have walked away from that hard crash. Unfortunately, he injured his right hand, which will make it very tough for him while he's trying to finish working on his degree.

On behalf of the San Antonio Speedway staff and officials, we wish James a complete and speedy recovery.

Hope you get to feeling better James. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Hope to see you back at the track and in the car soon.

I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and prayers after last night’s incident. I'm just extremely thankful, although I'm in quite a bit of pain today, that I sustained injururies that seem to be minimal considering the force of impact. The rumors about my helmet are true and very disturbing to my crew and me and will be addressed to Simpson to find out where the problem lies. This is another reason why I'm very thankful, could have been a lot worse if another driver piled up in the corner with me after I hit the wall. Well, I find out Monday or Tuesday if Cole racing will have an early end to the season or not. I'm just hoping the doc says were alright to go so we can show our fans just how good our team has been, just need a little luck and I'm sure most would agree that we’ve gotten a lot of the bad luck out of the way for the year! Again thanks for everyone’s help and support last night and hope to be back soon!

James Cole

James I am glad to hear that you are ok... I was at Kyle when I got word and I for one was worried along with all of your former running mates in TAMS whom the word got passed to. Its good to see that you are well enough to get on here and type... From Saspeedpics.net I hope you get back in the seat soon and wish you the best...You have always been a class act...

Marc Roy

www.saspeedpics.net

James,

Was the helmet strapped on tight and was it fitted for you?

Did the strap pull out from the helmet itself or did the actual strap break?

I am assuming that Simpson will get involved in this sooner or later. Because IF the strap failed or IF the strap broke, we all need to know.

Keep us posted please.

Nick Holt

I looked at the helmet myself.. It appeared to me that the pop rivet that held the right side chinstrap sheared off on the inside.

THINKING OUT LOUD

1. - I never thought that it was a pop rivet holding on the strap.

2. - Guys spend the money on a Hans or Hutchins (spelling) device & wear it, no matter how uncomfortable it is.

Cindy

Just to let everyone know on the helmet issue, it's being taken care of in a serious manner with Simpson and NASCAR with the help of Mike Sepich and my dad. I'm trying to give as much input as I can but right now I'm in and out with pain medication so they are handling most of it.

The helmet is a Sidewinder from the Voyager series made by Simpson. It's a little over one year old and it was fitted.

Actually that’s the first thing Simpson suggested, that the helmet wasn't fitted exactly to me. However, when I bought the helmet I personally went to New Braunfels to get fitted for it. At that time they had to add material to both sides of the cheek area and add what they call a NASCAR nose. After I picked it up the helmet fit very snug.

On the issue of whether or not my helmet was tight I have two bruises on both sides underneath my jaw where the strap goes, I have my helmet on tight.

It ripped where the actual strap mounts onto the helmet from the inside.

Again there are a lot of things happening right now and I will try to keep everyone updated as much as I can, but trust me I definitely don't want anyone in the same position as I was in last Saturday because I “ironically” got lucky that it wasn't a lot worse.

James,

As we all know racing wasn't looking too good for us Saturday because of the rain we received. I made a comment while standing in line to enter the pits that GOD must have been watching over the track or there must have been alot of drivers praying that the rain would miss the track. Looking back on Saturday night we now know who was watching over the track! My prayers for your speedy recovery are with you and the same goes to J. Kelly and Ann. F who also took a beating Saturday night. Hats off to Ata Bexar and the emergency crew at the track for a job well done in responding to all of our mishaps. They kept my car from going up in flames on pit road when I panicked couldn't operate my fire extinguisher to put out a small oil fire...........................................................Thank you guy's and gal's!!!!!

Kelly

Tracy's helmet did come off I think that is what she busted her mouth on.I think she'll be ok I heard her yelling for Terry in the SS feature.

Charles,

I talked to Terry (Tracie's dad) and here's the story. Her car hung the throttle going into turn one. As she left the track the car became airborne and when she landed, the helmet somehow slipped off her head and lodged between her face and the steering wheel just before she hit the tires in front of the pit retaining wall. The bloody lip was from hitting the helmet, not the steering wheel.

Nick Holt

Doug Doolen, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Simpson Performance Products, Inc., sent me the following Email just a few minutes ago.

Mr. Doolen called me earlier in the day and his genuine concern for James Cole and the situation that occured last Saturday was very apparent.

Nick Holt

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First and foremost, we are glad to learn that James Cole is doing well through conversations with his dad. He is bruised and has a broken bone in his hand, but all indications are that he is looking forward to getting back out on the track. We all hope for a speedy recovery.

We are currently investigating this crash to learn as much as we can to further improve upon safety. There is no question that James took quite a hit when he contacted the wall. Both headrests and rib support were severely bent which indicates a violent movement and a tremendous amount of force. We hope to have more information as we continue our investigation.

Our lead engineer, Gary Peters, will be at the San Antonio Speedway this Saturday to continue this process. We want to fully understand the dynamics involved in this crash and plan on doing some equipment checks at the track.

Your safety is very important to us.

Doug Doolen

Vice President of Sales and Marketing

Simpson Performance Products, Inc.

information@teamsimpson.com

www.teamsimpson.com

Since 1959, Simpson Performance Products has been the leading safety manufacturer in the motorsports industry. Simpson believes in putting safety first and is dedicated to elevating the standards of racing safety through continuous development, refinement, testing, and education. The one thing that remains constant is Simpson’s commitment to racer safety.

Detailed information regarding our products can be found at http://www.teamsimpson.com/safetyinfo.asp.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't believe James ever ran SS @ THR . Although, I could be wrong, there were may cars those first years..

Rodney,

I really believe James ran a few races in the first couple years at THR---altho, it may have been with a traveling series. I recognized the name from the first couple years I announced at THR. Maybe James himself could let us know...??

Glad you're okay, James! :D

I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone’s concern with me and help getting the car back together (it needed quite a bit of help) :D good news is I don't need to have surgery but I will have two different casts on for about 6-8wks. I still don’t know whether or not we will be racing yet, too many factors before we will know, especially whether the car will be able to get put back together that fast. I do know one thing, no offense to any other teams, but I do have the most dedicated group of guys in the Texas area, no task ever seems to be un-accomplishable. Along with some outside help from Jason Smith's crew, Danny Webb, and Tom Grothues I wouldn't be surprised if it was ready in one week.

As for the safety issues Mr. Holt has issued the previous statement from Simpson to assure you that something’s being done and trust me they have expressed a lot of concern in the incident and have already been to the shop to see the car and inspected my helmet very closely. I personally am very pleased with actions Simpson has taken to make sure there are no further problems.

Answer to the THR questions is yes, I raced there off and on during the 98' season to get more experience. Along with 6 other tracks across Texas my dad felt I needed to get experience on. I'm surprised Mr. Licata didn't remember me, he interviewed me on the front stretch at THR in 1998 (it's not like he's interviewed a couple hundred other drivers since then) :D

I have a pic of that car guys, If I can find it, as always, I'll sent it nick to post so you guys will remember. Bright orange # 14. Not a bad looking car.

, but I do have the most dedicated group of guys in the Texas area, no task ever seems to be un-accomplishable. Along with some outside help from Jason Smith's crew, Danny Webb, and Tom Grothues I wouldn't be surprised if it was ready in one week.

As for the safety issues Mr. Holt has issued the previous statement from Simpson to assure you that something’s being done and trust me they have expressed a lot of concern in the incident and have already been to the shop to see the car and inspected my helmet very closely. I personally am very pleased with actions Simpson has taken to make sure there are no further problems.

Does Jason Smith still have a couple of backup cars? Does Grouthues still have an SAS car or did he switch all his stuff to ROMCo cars?

Also I'm not surprised that Simpson is checking into the wreck.

1. If word got out, like say on jayski, they could be a huge blow to thier sales.

2. Can you sue simpson, not sure that you would considering all they are trying to do to make it right.

Archived