Miracle on North Lake Houston Parkway

It was the second feature of the evening, the Legend cars were running and about midway through their race. All of a sudden two cars come together at the wheels off of turn four and the one car hits the inside retaining wall and stops. It appears its going to be o.k. when all of a sudden you see a car coming off 4 at full throttle.

The hit was square and hard. Both cars erupt in flames right in front of a packed grand stand. You could see the driver of the car that got hit from behind was struggling to open the doors of the car. Two emergency worker were on scene and tried to open the doors. The flames were getting worse and the emergency workers were not having any luck with the doors. The flames drove both workers back and they immediately began to use fire extinguishers on the flames and driver. It appeared from my vantage point on the announcers stand that the flames were getting the advantage. I will never forget the sounds from the packed grandstand as the flames became worse. The crowd had a collective moan and groan and got worse as the situation got worse.

All of a sudden there was a guy with a green shirt who was the focal point. The workers were keeping the fire off of the driver as this guy went inside the drivers side window and attempted to unbuckle the driver. The flames drove the man back and he immediately went to the passenger side an attempted the same thing. As he was driven off by the flames, you could see where he was rubbing his own arms and face as if he was attempting to put out the flames.

With no where else to go, this man in the green shirt jumped on hood of the Legend car. With his bare hands, the man in the green shirt reached down and grabbed the top of the car and with one mighty pull he removed the entire top of the burning car. After the top was removed, he was able to reach inside between the roll cage bars and remove the driver. The driver escaped injury.

Before every race, I am blessed to pray the invocations and have do so for many years. In each invocation I normally ask God to protect the drivers during the race. This is the first time that I have actually witnessed an act of God by his hand bringing us that man in the green shirt and placing him in a position to protect that driver.

The names of all involved were intentionally not mentioned because that is not the moral of the story. The moral of the story is for all drivers as you put on your seat belts before a race, just leave a little room for that man in the green shirt.

Amen

REAL SUPER HEROS .TO PUT ONES LIFE ON THE LINE TO SAVE SOMEONE ..ITS RARE WHEN WE GET TO SEE SUPER HEROS IN ACTION LIKE THIS ......THOSE LITTLE CARS ARE TOUGHER THAN I THOUGHT WHEN THEY FIRST CAME UPON US .IVE SEEN SOME BAD WRECKS WITH THESE CARS AND LEARN HOW WELL BUILT THEY ARE ...THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN ONE BURST INTO FLAMES ..EVERY ONE WHO OWNS ONE NEEDS TO CHECK THIS AND THIER CARS OUT AND SEE IF IT HAS A WEAK SPOT IN THE DESIGN.....AND FIX IT ......THIER WILL ALWAYS BE FREAK ACCIDENTS .. BUT WE LEARN FROM EM ..........SALUTE TO THOSE SAFETY WORKERS

Steve, of course, is not a safety worker. He is a very accomplished race car driver who is a contender no matter where or what he drives. His son, Clayton, is following in his dad's footsteps and is already a frequent winner in the Legends.

That Steve would put his life on the line for another is not a surprise to those who know him. I honestly believe that Mr. Bob is right when he says that the Good Lord used Steve that night to do His will.

Is Steve a Hero? You bet he is. But I'm pretty sure Steve doesn't see it that way. He's undoubtedly just glad the youngster is OK.

Nick

Very scary to watch. Thanks for writing this very moving account of what happened. Thank God! Steve's quick thinking and amazing strength that he was given at that moment, saved him. As a little girl, I watched a driver burn to death on the front straight. From my experience, he also saved the HMP crowd and safety crew from a horrifying life-long scar.

I salute you Steve. Your efforts reflect the charactor of man that you are. Your thoughts and actions were to serve and protect your fellow man. A true blessing from GOD.

Archived