Sprint Pocono Race

wheelchair49

Dale jr won the daytona july race in his baseball car and was 1/8th of an inch low. But Nascar deemed it was too small of a descrepancy to be an advantage so no fine was issued. Sounds like Nascar is right on par.

Tolerances are a squishy deal.

Black and white is the only way to go, but years ago NASCAR gave in to the outrage whenever they tried to keep it black and white. So they came up with the idea that if they kept the rules firm, but then published "tolerances" they could stop the outrage every time they penalized someone even a tiny bit over the published "tolerance."

It's only a partially successful strategy as they discover every time someone is found a tiny bit over a "tolerance."

Where does it stop? Never. Just another way folks have learned to get away with over-bending the rules over the years.

Nick

Dale jr won the daytona july race in his baseball car and was 1/8th of an inch low. But Nascar deemed it was too small of a descrepancy to be an advantage so no fine was issued. Sounds like Nascar is right on par.

Interesting assertion.

July 2011 hasn't run yet so you must be making historical reference. July 2010 was won by Kevin Harvick, July 2009 by Tony Stewart, 2008 (the first full season of CoT cars with their strict height rule) was won by Kyle Busch. Unless of course you mean the July 2010 NATIONWIDE Daytona race (which I doubt as that was the 3 car not the baseball car) - which has a different rule book than the either the old SPRINT CUP or CoT cars - pre CoT 1/8 was not enough to make a competitive difference... BUT in the CoT (2008 and later) rules competitive difference has no bearing in Rule enforcement - the height is a spec and competitive advantage has no effect as did the rules in place when they made the call on Jr...

I suspect you mean the July Daytona that Jr won in 2001 - well before CoT was even developed - the rules were different on height and thus interpretive tolerances as well. Might as well let ALL body alterations slide since after all Smokey Yunick did get away with a well massaged trailing edge on the roof of his 67 chevy...

In fact if I recall Jr's "no advantage" call was part of the reason for going to a strict tolerance - to remove judgment calls and go to a ruler don't lie approach.

But hey whats are facts when a conspiracy theory is on the line.

Potatoes? Green Beans? Same thing both vegetables. Swap em - no one will know the difference. lol.

NASCAR is considerably more strict about this car than the old one. Remember they also busted Jr a few years back just for having the wrong wing brackets. I think even NASCAR said there wasn't a possibility of an advantage to be gained or lost, just those weren't the brackets they wanted the teams to use.

Oh btw...

JGwinPocono62011.jpg

:D

NASCAR is considerably more strict about this car than the old one. Remember they also busted Jr a few years back just for having the wrong wing brackets. I think even NASCAR said there wasn't a possibility of an advantage to be gained or lost, just those weren't the brackets they wanted the teams to use.

Oh btw...

JGwinPocono62011.jpg

:D

YEE HAW....finally have something to celebrate in NASCAR. Good drivers like Gordon, their wins get over shadowed by the bad of NASCAR. Isn't it funny that BAD and BUSCH begin with the same letter....24 24 24 24 back in the winners circle

I understand your point, Im just saying that Nascar decides when it does and doesnt want to enforce rules. I think if the childress thing wouldnt of happened the 1/16th of an inch would of been overlooked. :ph34r:

Archived