VDL carb issue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its also used to raise the booster out of the carb to get peak air flow threw the carb. for more horsepower. I am just saying

THEN WHY NOT MEASURE THE HEIGHT OF THE BOOSTER AND DQ FOR THAT INSTEAD OF JUST BECAUSE IT'S BEEN EPOXYED.

And Karl, as you probably know, Holley has changed the height of the booster over the years - especially when they went to the HP series. From what I understand, the boosters are epoxyed in where they come.

I'm sure Jack has a set of gauges to measure the different heights used by Holley and Holley would give him a list of List #'s with heights.

http://www.holley.com/TechService/

2 years ago THR had a problem w/ VDL carbs over lengthy debate Dan w/ VDL came up w/ a TSRS / THR specific carb which was then approved by THR and has been used and passed tech ever since. 2 of these carbs were DQed this past weekend for epoxy and had been checked before. Half the feild was effected the Drivers know there carbs have passed tech before so the comfort level has been established for that part. I am just saying It is natural for teams to be shocked when a comfort level has been established for parts that have been passed through tech several times. No disrespect to Jack he is in a difficult spot but when half the feild is DQed only because those are the ones that were checked just have them fix the issue it becomes obvious @ that point know one was aware of an issue.

That's why I buy carbs from a local builder (Parr Performance). He has actually taken his carbs to Jack and sat down with him to be sure they pass. If one of them gets DQ'd I'd be protesting.

Rusty, the one carb we have that was done by Parr has epoxy on it. It's been checked and re-checked in the past, but it definitely has epoxy on it. I am patiently waiting to see how the results come out because if the DQs stand, I guess I'll be conducting an experiment in epoxy removal. :(

I know someone that has a MILLS carb done by SPREEN last year and has been on a couple different motors and classes and YES been teched a handful of times. WOW wouldn't you know it EPOXYed Boosters so I am also very interested in the outcome for several carbs we are looking @.

I have a VDL "with epoxy" and could not run it. I had it taken to Jack before I did anything with it since I had already been DQ'd for a carb infraction this season. Jack said "absolutely no epoxy". So, I had to buy different carb since the epoxied VDL would not pass tech, which cost me money (that I don't have). I learned the hard way. If you want to know if your carb is legal, take it to Jack before you run it.

Rusty, the one carb we have that was done by Parr has epoxy on it. It's been checked and re-checked in the past, but it definitely has epoxy on it. I am patiently waiting to see how the results come out because if the DQs stand, I guess I'll be conducting an experiment in epoxy removal. :(

Chase,

I don't know if we can get Jim on here or not (he doesn't computer), but I know for a fact that he has taken those carbs to Jack, met face to face, and gotten approval of everything he does. He hasn't started doing anything different. I know on our crate carb, and after a conversation with Jack, he wasn't able to do anything except rejet and put in circle track floats (it came with drag floats??).

I know someone that has a MILLS carb done by SPREEN last year and has been on a couple different motors and classes and YES been teched a handful of times. WOW wouldn't you know it EPOXYed Boosters so I am also very interested in the outcome for several carbs we are looking @.

Rick Pollaro,

The carb, from the 92 car is a VDL carb not a Spreen carb( Mills Carb). It was freshened by me at the begining of last season. The same goes for Robert Barker also. I freshened his last year; I did not build him a new one.

We do not USE or ADD epoxy to any carbs that we build in house.

Greg Spreen

Quote"I know someone that has a MILLS carb done by SPREEN last year and has been on a couple different motors and classes and YES been teched a handful of times. WOW wouldn't you know it EPOXYed Boosters so I am also very interested in the outcome for several carbs we are looking @. "

Rick Pollero,

The carb, from the 92 car is a VDL carb not a Spreen carb( Mills Carb). It was freshened by me at the begining of last season. The same goes for Robert Barker also. I freshened his last year; I did not build him a new one.

We do not USE or ADD epoxy to any carbs that we build in house.

Greg Spreen

I dont know why you would call out these people 92 car & Robert Barker but I believe Rick's last name is Pollaro. Anyway the carb I''m speaking of has a MILLS Tag on it if it is a VDL and I'm not saying it did not start out as one. when you freshen carbs being the miticulous person you are (complement ) would you not be aware the EPOXY needs to be dealt w/ to be legal @ THR and advise the customer ? I have the upmost respect for SPREEN Race engines their record speaks for themself. But doesn't a carb builder take some responsibilty or is this issue as much as a surprise to the builder ?

I think we're seeing that this took most, if not all teams, by surprise.

And I'll repeat my above post, if the boosters are still in the manufacturers original location for that List #, who cares if they have been epoxy'ed.

Its also used to raise the booster out of the carb to get peak air flow threw the carb. for more horsepower. I am just saying

We went through the booster issue about 4 years ago with Jack and had that issue corrected between VDL and Thunderhills tool Jack uses to check booster location.

2 years ago THR had a problem w/ VDL carbs over lengthy debate Dan w/ VDL came up w/ a TSRS / THR specific carb which was then approved by THR and has been used and passed tech ever since. 2 of these carbs were DQed this past weekend for epoxy and had been checked before. Half the feild was effected the Drivers know there carbs have passed tech before so the comfort level has been established for that part. I am just saying It is natural for teams to be shocked when a comfort level has been established for parts that have been passed through tech several times. No disrespect to Jack he is in a difficult spot but when half the feild is DQed only because those are the ones that were checked just have them fix the issue it becomes obvious @ that point know one was aware of an issue.

Your right, AMEN

Mr. Pollaro,

I am sorry if I spelled your name wrong, I didn't mean to offend you, but I consider Chris Brandes and Robert Barker very good friends of mine and have known them for many, many years. and I did not think they would mind me using them as an example.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but you brought me into this in your above post. Both those carbs. were freshened last year and from what I recall the epoxy in question was not an issue back then.

Greg Spreen

I we ran VDL carb. for years and have been team mates with (DJ) Dans son in the Pro class. All I am saying that the epoxy is not just for saftey I know his carbs, can pass tech with no problem.

Check the boosters height, how long the booster are ,make sure they are not tappered, the no-go gauge does not fall threw and call it good. Oh and none of the DANG EPOXY!!But I do NOT have a dog in the hunt other than we tried to run a nascar legal VDL at Houston on an open motor and was told that it was not legal because of the same thing DANG EPOXY

So I am backing of this.

Karl

Archived