VDL carb issue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ummm Mini Stock...

How do you test the chip then? They all have their issues.

You test them with a chip tester. I'm kinda fond of Mr. Pringles myself, but there are a lot of Lays Original Chips fans out there. And I volunteer to be the first chip tester since I have a lot of experience testing chips.

Nick

Ummm Mini Stock...

How do you test the chip then? They all have their issues.

You test them with a chip tester. I'm kinda fond of Mr. Pringles myself, but there are a lot of Lays Original Chips fans out there. And I volunteer to be the first chip tester since I have a lot of experience testing chips.

Nick

Hey nick is cheat tos a chip?

Ummm canyon lake or comal? That's the real question

Mr. Pollaro,

I am sorry if I spelled your name wrong, I didn't mean to offend you, but I consider Chris Brandes and Robert Barker very good friends of mine and have known them for many, many years. and I did not think they would mind me using them as an example.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but you brought me into this in your above post. Both those carbs. were freshened last year and from what I recall the epoxy in question was not an issue back then.

Greg Spreen

It sure would have been nice to know when the epoxy became an issue. Could have avoided a major controversy for the track officials.

Robert,

The carburetor that was on your car saturday night was not my carburetor. I know Dan from VDL and I am sure he had no intentions of causing you or others an issue in tech. As I know he also works very close with Jack to make sure his carbs. pass tech.

Sincerely,

Greg Spreen

I wonder if THR will issue a bulletin on the approved method for removing the epoxy. Otherwise, some racers will try to use Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), or acetone, or xylene.... along with some form of heat to soften the epoxy. Some of these chemicals are very dangerous to breathe and absorb in your skin.

On another note, we have an approved method per Jack from THR this week of removing the epoxy off the boosters, we have already done a few this week with no problems.

Greg Spreen

Can I recommend you get something in writing from Jack or THR so those that have the epoxy removed will have some assurance it will be approved next week, next year, or in the future. Not stirring the pot, just skeptical.

Carburetor must be TSRS approved and conform to all TSRS Inspection tools manufactured by Tech Chec.

· Either a box stock Holly Model 4412 - 500 CFM or the box stock 350 CFM model 7448 carburetor is allowed with the following exceptions:

§ Only the following changes to the carburetors are permitted (applies to both the 4412 and 7448):

o The choke butterfly and shaft may be removed

o The power valve and the jets may be changed; the power valve must be functional.

o The butterflies may be drilled with one hole no larger than 3/16-inch diameter

· The throttle shaft must remain stock with no thinning or cutting in any manner

· The main body and metering block may not be reworked in any way

§ They must remain box stock.

· The amount of holes and their location must remain as manufactured

· Additional holes and passages will not be permitted

· Additional screw-in pressed in bleed holes in the main body or metering block will not be permitted.

· Booster type may not be changed.

§ Booster size and shape must not be altered.

§ Height and location of the booster must remain as manufactured. Epoxy may be used to secure booster.

o A carburetor spacer of not more than 1.250-inch, including gaskets, is allowed for as spacing between the carburetor base and the manifold surface

· The holes in the spacer must be the same dimensions from top to bottom of opening (no tapered hole spacers)

o A cool air box may be installed to pick up outside air at the cowl

· Funnel and ram air devices are not allowed

Rusty New Rules as of Tonight is Epoxy may be used to secure boosters

Carburetor must be TSRS approved and conform to all TSRS Inspection tools manufactured by Tech Chec.

· Either a box stock Holly Model 4412 - 500 CFM or the box stock 350 CFM model 7448 carburetor is allowed with the following exceptions:

§ Only the following changes to the carburetors are permitted (applies to both the 4412 and 7448):

o The power valve and the jets may be changed; the power valve must be functional.

o The butterflies may be drilled with one hole no larger than 3/16-inch diameter

· The throttle shaft must remain stock with no thinning or cutting in any manner

· Additional screw-in pressed in bleed holes in the main body or metering block will not be permitted.

§ Height and location of the booster must remain as manufactured. Epoxy may be used to secure booster.

o A carburetor spacer of not more than 1.250-inch, including gaskets, is allowed for as spacing between the carburetor base and the manifold surface

· The holes in the spacer must be the same dimensions from top to bottom of opening (no tapered hole spacers)

Rusty New Rules as of Tonight is Epoxy may be used to secure boosters

So they DQ us for EPOXYed Boosters (KILL our Points ) And then allow us to run the same DQed carb the next race......I have absolutley NOOOOOOOOO .....Nothing..... I can't ...why even....just....never ever seen anything like this ever!!!!!

Rusty,

NASCAR TSRS Late Models

1. 2 Bobby Teer Jr. Comfort, TX 35 laps QT 15.775

2. 9 John Hernandez San Antonio, TX 35 laps DNQ

3. 3 Mike Reininger San Antonio, TX 35 laps 16.052 Post-Qualifying TI

4. 69 Michael Pollaro Floresville, TX 35 laps QT 16.875

5. 192 Jason Stanley San Antonio, TX 35 laps QT 16.013 TI – Over on left side weight

6. 96 Robert Barker Boerne, TX 35 laps QT 15.841 TI – Carburetor

7. 1 Nick Cole Lockhart, TX 35 laps QT 16.187 TI – Carburetor

8. 07 Austin Self Austin, TX 35 laps QT 15.860 TI – Carburetor

9. 92 Taylor Brandes Garden Ridge, TX 35 laps QT 16.129 TI – Carburetor

10. 28 Jeff O’Neill Round Rock, TX 35 laps DNQ TI – Carburetor

UMMM Yeah these are the results from saturday night 6-4-2011

Quote Zippyhippy ......"I have absolutley NOOOOOOOOO .....Nothing..... I can't ...why even....just....never ever seen anything like this ever!!!!!"

Me either!!!

Height and location of the booster must remain as manufactured. Limited epoxy may be used to secure booster.

I saw the word "limited"

This was the original Revised Rule listed below then 53 minutes later those were Revised to Limited Epoxy was added and box stock was removed

REVISION TO TSRS 2011 LATE MODELS TECHNICAL RULES & REGULATIONS, PAGE 6:

CARBURETOR (Option 1 Only)

Ø Carburetor must be TSRS approved and conform to all TSRS Inspection tools manufactured by Tech Chec.

On the crate engines, TSRS will use the same carburetor rule as HMP, as follows:

4. CARBURETOR Holley 650 CFM 4150 HP carburetor, part number 80541-1, “box-stock”, is mandated. Carburetor must be securely fastened to the intake manifold and include one (1) .0625-inch (1/16”) or smaller flange gasket. Drop-in spacers, alteration, physical changes, machining, re-shaping or tampering with any part of the original parts, internal or external, is prohibited. Exception: Only the General Motors 604 crate engine is permitted any one-inch (1) tall aluminum spacer and may be tapered. Spacers on all Ford engines are not permitted. Aluminum spacers are subject to inspection by Tech Director.

Following is a listing of tuning and replacement parts permitted for use on the Holley 4150 HP Carburetor. Only genuine Holley replacement parts are permitted and must match exactly parts replaced.

• Jets

• Bleeds

• Needle and Seat

• Emulsion bleeds

• Power Valves

• Accelerator pump cam

• Floats include all offered by Holley for the HP 4150 650 CFM Carburetor.

• Floats may be modified/angle cut.

• Accelerator pump nozzles

NOTE 1: The use of any type Epoxy on the Holley 650 CFM 4150 HP carburetor, part number 80541-1 is strictly prohibited.

NOTE 2: Coating of any type, or the use of coatings on the Holley 650 CFM 4150 HP carburetor, part number 80541-1 is strictly prohibited.

Tech Director reserves the right to impound or confiscate any carburetor at any time during or after an event. Failure to comply with this will subject the driver to disqualification from the event. NO TOLERANCE!

Archived