5.9 CUMMINS

Mel

Any Diesel buff's in the house?

Great engine, pulls well, good fuel mileage.

Is it possible to quiet this engine down some without sacrificing any performance or reliability? Aftermarket or factory fix?

1 more beef, does anyone, who has a Dodge truck around this year range, have a dash that isn't cracked? Mine is cracked and I haven't seen one in this year range that wasn't cracked!

Thanks,

Mel

Those trucks work off a vacuum on the selector. The selectors go bad and they blow air/heat where they decide they want to. On my '01 Gas with a 360 the shop foreman thought I was smoking something till we drove it. He the called factory rep who informed him there was a recall and they fix my truck for free.

Funny, most people straight pipe them for the sound.

Are both off yours stock? We are talking about exhaust correct not injector noise?

Mark

Got an 02 3500, good luck on quieting it down. The valvetrain makes so much noise its hard to cover up. Mine has a cracked dash also. Hate it!! :angry: But it pulls like nothing else. I "straight" piped mine and made some intake improvements and it made more noise, like more turbo whine and louder exhaust. But it made more power and didnt hurt the mileage so I can live with it. However its not a daily driver so I dont have to listen to it often.

I know on the Ford 7.3's they say if you go to a bigger line coming out of the fuel tank forward it is suppose to quiet the injection system down some. I believe it is a volume of fuel movement to injectors that quiets them down.

Watch the injections pump on the Cummins. If your injectors start rattling it is more than likely time to shell out some money.

My truck is nowhere near stock. It has straight pipe sytem, k&n cold air intake, edge comp box, fass low pressure fuel system with 1/2" line coming out of the tank to the injection pump. I ended up dropping the tank and installing a 1/2" pickup tube for it also. Use it for work everyday to pull a 14,000 lb trailer. Also, it has 245,000 miles on it with a six speed.

The only thing is that I can't turn the edge comp box up all the way, I think the injection system is a little low on power and don't want to ruin it on level 5. Still pulls fantastic, better thAn my 2008 f-350.

Got an 02 3500, good luck on quieting it down. The valvetrain makes so much noise its hard to cover up. Mine has a cracked dash also. Hate it!! :angry: But it pulls like nothing else. I "straight" piped mine and made some intake improvements and it made more noise, like more turbo whine and louder exhaust. But it made more power and didnt hurt the mileage so I can live with it. However its not a daily driver so I dont have to listen to it often.

the newer trucks must not be sound proofed as good as the older ones.. or maybe the 24 valves are louder.. i have a 96 12 valve.. and its rather rattley on the outside.. and it is straight piped.. on the inside it sounds like a cadillac.. theo nly noise i ever hear is a little turbo whistle .. and ofcourse some bellering if i stand on it.. but at cruising speed.. just a light whistle sound.. and at idle u barely hear any rattle.. even if it was noiseyit would be well worth it for me after having used a gas truck for pulling for years my gas chevy got 13 with no trailer.. my dodge gets 16 with trailer

diesels will always be relatively loud as the entire operating principal is simply controlled detonation. Our 09 f250 Kings Ranch is one of the quietest i have ever heard. Its no louder than a gas with the "quiet" flow masters - but sound fatigue still comes in after a few hours - you are exposed to a lot of very low freq sound waves with any diesel - even if not decibel loud they still rattle the cranial matter.

with 2500

the newer trucks must not be sound proofed as good as the older ones.. or maybe the 24 valves are louder.. i have a 96 12 valve.. and its rather rattley on the outside.. and it is straight piped.. on the inside it sounds like a cadillac.. theo nly noise i ever hear is a little turbo whistle .. and ofcourse some bellering if i stand on it.. but at cruising speed.. just a light whistle sound.. and at idle u barely hear any rattle.. even if it was noiseyit would be well worth it for me after having used a gas truck for pulling for years my gas chevy got 13 with no trailer.. my dodge gets 16 with trailer

for better performance .keep your valve lash adjusted ..plus it quites down some ...just adjusted my friends 94 .he could not fathom the difference ..17.5.mph average .....pulling over 15000...valve lash is so important ...

got 2 of them, one is a 99 with 205,000 miles with a rebuilt trans, and a 01 with 202,000 miles. They both had cracked dashes but I replaced the dash in the 01 and bought dash covers for both of them. I can not tell the difference between the cracked dash and the new dash with the cover. Both tucks get driven every day and with that 5.9 cummins I often forget if i am pulling a trailer cause it just pulls so easy. Gotta love em

Coverlay makes a VERY nice dash for those trucks. We had almost totally stopped buying Dodge trucks until we found it. The peice they make is a hard plastic "cover" the actually lays smooth over where the factory dash would be and if it's installed and trimmed well no one will ever know it's not factory. Try Coverlay

As far as noise,try some dynamat or any of Eastwood's products under the carpet.

Archived