Freezing temps

Ford27

With the freezing temps this week I was wondering if draining the water from the race car was enough and I'm thinking it still leaves too much in the block so antifreeze is the way to go. Any thoughts cause my buddy says drain radiator pull waterpump hose turn over for about 30 sec. to empty the block.

I don't have my motor in yet but if I did I would load it up with antifreeze.

Same here.

Then once the "winter passes", drain it out, flush it, and refill with distilled, etc.

I don't consider it a "waste" to spend $10 on a bottle of antifreeze just to insure I don't bust a block.

Chase hit the nail right on the head with that answer. That's what we would do up in Maine where the night temps would often be well below freezing early in the season or late in the season. We used to use two 100 watt bulbs directly under the oil pan, put old pillows, blankets, etc around the edges of the car to keep the cold air out and the hot air in and then cover the whole thing with a thick tarp. Never froze a block that way.

Nick

As someone who has a hot rod in the garage that never gets driven and is on jack stands most of its life, I have always just plugged a halogen shop light and slid it under car shining up at pan. Only have water with no antifreeze and never had a problem. If you have ever accidentally brushed some skin up against one of those halogen lamps, you know they put out some heat. B)

John

Nick, you needed the lights to keep the antifreeze from freezing in Maine! If you have a foam fire system, you better check it out before you need it. Parts of it may have frozen and split.

Nick, you needed the lights to keep the antifreeze from freezing in Maine!...

I had a '57 Chevy up in Maine before I got drafted (1966) and the water/antifreeze mixture would frequently be almost slush after sitting out all night in sub zero temperatures. Never popped a freeze plug or cracked a block, but I'm sure I was just lucky.

Nick