Bobby Labonte

blueoval

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Bobby Labonte and Terry Labonte fan. I just dont understand what happens to guys like this when they start heading downhill?

Bobby wins the championship for Gibbs and has a great season, Terry wins the championship and has a great season for Hendrick. What happened after that that made their careers not as successful as before? Was it equipment, owners, drivers?I don't understand.

I know they arent in equipment this year like they were with Hendrick and Gibbs, but what started it all?

These guys are legends, I just want to understand what happens to guys like this? I hope Bobby has a great comeback after he drives the 47 next year.

Any opinions out there?

Hey racer 61 what do you mean by 'ego'? Whose?

I got a chance to meet Bobby Labonte. I was working in N.C. and he came by our shop. I was wanting to meet him as he and I were from Texas. Well, it took about 45 seconds of listening to him to realize that I was not allowed to breath the same air as him. There were 6 of us that walked away from that little chat scratching our heads, because we were always under the belief that he was a down to earth kinda guy. Guess money does that to people.

this was at the end of his career at Gibbs

I haven't met Bobby ,but a few years ago at TMS they held a 'walk the track for charity' ,and Terry was one of the drivers that took part in it. Everyone walked the length of track, I was glad because I have been a fan of Terry's since the Meyer days, all I can say is he was very nice and friendly, going out of his way to talk to me and my wife when he found out we used to go to Meyer at the same time, I asked him if he would answer the phone when my son had called, he said sure and took my phone and proceeded to carry on a 5-6 minute conversation with my son, who didn't believe it was Terry on the phone until my wife and me convinced him it was, so I don't think ego can be the reason for someone not being as successful on the track as they used to be..... just my opinion .

I didnt say Terry, I never talked to him much, other than him standing under the liftgate of our trailer while it was raining once. It seems that alot of the big names are different in front of a crowd than when they are on there own time. I was commenting on Bobby though, he seemed to have a chip on his shoulders and gave the attitude that because he was champ that everyone owed him something. When you get that attitude it carries over onto the track. I think reality has set in and he has seen that who you were, doesnt mean who you are. Like I said, when you know your being watched you tend to pay more attention to what you say. I never was a big Earnhardt fan but my wife had an encounter with him when he was in her office building and was giving the clerk who was showing him around a hard time making him nervous. He stopped and made a point to apologize to my wife for using a four letter work in her presence. That earned respect from me in tons. Most people never get to see the "real" side of these drivers. Just what the media portrays them as.

Hey racer 61 what do you mean by 'ego'? Whose?

I got a chance to meet Bobby Labonte. I was working in N.C. and he came by our shop. I was wanting to meet him as he and I were from Texas. Well, it took about 45 seconds of listening to him to realize that I was not allowed to breath the same air as him. There were 6 of us that walked away from that little chat scratching our heads, because we were always under the belief that he was a down to earth kinda guy. Guess money does that to people.

this was at the end of his career at Gibbs

The same thing happened to me with Big Daddy Don Garlits, he was my idle when I was a kid and my nick name was the same as his, I finally got to meet him and he was rude ass hell to me after telling him my story. Now i would'nt spit on him if he was on fire.

If you ever had any dealings with Bobby Allison, Davey Allison or Richard Petty, you were never treated as if you were any different than them. Down to earth. No bloated egos. Just plain nice guys doing what we all love to do. Petty would often go way, way out of his way to talk with fans and made time for anyone who crossed his path. Oh.. and Harry Gant too.

Nick

John Force showed my two boys,(johnny and Allen)lots of class about 5 or 6 years ago.... Long line and he was signing hats, shirts etc like crazy..His guy came and got him... He said ,SORRY folks, gotta get ready,He must have saw the sadness in my boys faces, as folks were leaving,He sent TWO shirts signed, and winked as the boys were smiling and in disbelief...Lori Johns(top fuel driver) from Corpus also sat in that hot area signing for HOURS.. Frank t

My son whose 8 was a die hard bobbie fan till he was ignored by bobbie who said he didnt have time to sign his hat at tms but then sat there for 20 minutes talking and laughing it up in the trailer. Joey lagano was there and saw him get shot down and said I might not be your driver but I'll sign your hat if you want. My son now wears the #20. our only experience with em

I've never spoken to Bobby but I did speak to Terry once when he came to South Texas Speedway about 11 to 12 years ago. He signed some things for us. Very pleasant. All i can say about how these guys act is for you to spend a month in their shoes. Having to spend all the time for sponsors. Putting up with rude fans who think they owe them something because they root for them. I'm sure it can be very taxing on all these guys. Until you have spent some time doing what they have to do from week to week don't be so quick to say they are uptight and rude. JMO.

Years ago we were in Dale Earnharts shop on a tour when Larry McReynolds walked thur with some other people and looked staight at us I waved and he snobed us I didn't expect him to stop but he could have at least waved. I lost respect for him. Now Chocolate Meyers is a real down to earth person. We were in Jeff Gordons sales store and offices with James & Justin (Who were 5 & 6) when a Execective walked out and said to the boys who is your favorite driver? James said Dale Earnhart! He said if I give you these 24 cars would you inculde him? They said YES!

FROM THE FIRST DAY TERRY STARTED RACEN AT CC .I WAS WORKING THE PIT GATE WITH OLD MELTON GATOR...I LISTEN TO SOME DRIVERS WHO MADE FUN OF A 15 YEAR OLD DRIVER GETTING A JUDGE TO ISSUE A HARDSHIP PERMIT SO HE COULD RACE ......FROM THAT MOMENT WHEN THE DRIVES MADE FUN OF THAT .....AND THE MOMENT I STAPLED TERRYS FIRST DRIVERS PIT PASS ON ..I BECAME A FAN OF HIS ..I SAID HELLO. HE SAID IT BACK ...OVER THE MANY MANY TIMES I TALKED WITH TERRY ..HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A CLASS ACT ........THOUGH I DID SEE HIS OTHER SIDE MOST POEPLE DONT GET TO SEE FROM TIME TO TIME .....AS FOR BOBBY .I COULD CARE LESS ..I SAID HELLO TO HIM AT LABONTES PARK ..HE JUST SNUBBED AWAY ..I WOULD NOT GIVE TWO PLUG NICKLES FOR HIM ....AND HAVE NEVER BEEN MUCH OF A FAN OF HIS TO BEGIN WITH ....

This past Texas Motor Speedway race my Wife and I had "Hot pit passes" from Joe Nemechek. In the garage area I had a short conversation with Bobby Labonte about CC Speedway and SA Speedway. He was very friendly and autographed my credintial lanyard.

congrads to all those guy's and gal's that made the big time, my hero is that poor ole boy at the local track that came out with his own work to get his car ready each week to put on a show and showed all the little ones his appreciation of them rooten for him by signing an ole checker flag. he didn't only work to be able to race, but also would help anyone else. all these big timers seem to forget where they came from when those $$$$ signs hit reality, GOD bless'em anyway, LORD knows we all need some ole friend somewhere down the road, then they realize, they where no more than we were anyway. gotta love it, thanks, del ;)

I got to met Larry Dixon driver of the Miller Lite TF car at Baytown a few years back, he was signing autographs and talking to some folks, he signed my cap and then I heard someone call out his name and walk towards us. When the guy gets next to me and Larry it's Don "The Snake" Prudhomme, he said "Hello" to us, real easy going guy, but definately a business man. Lenny66 B)

Archived