$3000 to win SAS/THR/HMS/TSRS LM race

Mike Sepich

Saturday June 19, 2004

$3000.00 to win!

ELIGIBLE CARS & RULES

Late Models Stock Cars that meet San Antonio Speedway, Thunder Hill Raceway, Houston Motor Speedway, and Texas Super Racing Series rules are invited to compete. Pre-race and post-race inspections will use rules declared on car registration form using the following weight rules:

TotalWeight LeftSide % Right Side Minimum

San Antonio Late Models 3100 57% 1325

Thunder Hill Late Models 3100 55% 1400

Texas Super Racing Series 3100 55% 1400

Houston Late Models with 350 hp crate motor 2900 58% 1225

THR / TSRS cars with 8” F-53 tires 3000 56% 1325

All cars will be weighed pre-race. All cars must use 2045 or F53 Hoosier Tires

Purse

1 $3000.00

2 $1500.00

3 $750.00

4 $500.00

5 $400.00

6 $350.00

7 $300.00

8 $250.00

9 $200.00

10 $175.00

11 $150.00

12 $125.00

13-36 $100.00

Checks will be issued immediately after results are final.

Entry and Pit Fees

Entry Fee – $100.00

Pit Passes - $25.00

Race Format

This race is a non-sanctioned and non-points event. No other licenses or registrations are required. 125 Laps total length with 2 segments and 20-minute intermission. Segment 1 will be 75 laps with yellow flag laps counting. NO more than 30 total yellow flag laps will count during this segment. 20-minute intermission for fuel and chassis adjustments. Any adjustments requiring use of jack, forces car to rear of field. NO tire changes except for flats. All changed tires will be impounded for inspection and forces car to rear. Deliberate damage to tire will result in a 1-lap penalty for each tire. Segment 2 will be 50 green flag laps with a green/ white/ checkered finish. Qualifying order will be random pill draw. Starting Line-Up is time qualified with an invert of no greater than 8 cars using a random draw. All cars must start race on tires that were used for qualifying. Post race inspection of top 5 cars. NO PROTESTS are allowed. All finishing/scoring results are final.

Registration Forms and Schedule of Events including practice and overnight parking will be posted on the www.sanantoniospeedway.com website shortly.

Mike Sepich

Wow! This sounds pretty cool. I noticed at THR's site their schedule has the Prosedans and Modifieds listed to run with the rest of the local classes that night. Maybe they could give THR LM drivers the night off to run in this race? Unfortunately the HMP latemodels are also running the same night so it may be hard to get a lot of those guys but they may come considering they race for free anyways and would probably like a shot at some money. Great job Mike in setting this up. Should be a good race.

In the spirit of the goals of the Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association, Brian Callaway and Jim Lynch will be letting the THR Late Models off to participate in the big SAS LM show on June 19th.

I might add that this is no small concession since radio ads with the THR Late Models included in the script had already been produced, purchased and were ready to run promoting the June 19th THR show.

Good luck to all the Late Model teams who plan to run this special event at San Antonio Speedway.

Nick Holt

Guest The_Greek

i nearly fell out of my chair when i read this post, especially involving SAS, thumbs up !! to you guys, should be a great night of racing, not sure about the 20 minute intermission but i can deal with it.

Are the ARCA race trucks still racing that night or is this a make up race for not having the trucks? stil think that it is great to have this kinda race and cooperation but even with the races at TMS this next weekend, wouldn't it be better to have this race when THR is off?

I'm There...............Just got back from THR.............Let"s go, Stewart's, Ison Team, Todd m, James R, Norman, Reeder, Tommy G...............DO IT!

(oh yea,............... you Houston Boy's C'Mon and good luck)

Didn't it seem that the announcement of this race caught THR offguard? They used the word "concession" in changing their program to let the lates models off on that particular night.

"Concession" doesn't mean the same thing as "co operation"...especially if it is after the fact.

Is there a fallout in the track owner's association already?

Jay

jracer98,

San Antonio Speedway had a big special event (the ARCA truck series) scheduled for June 19th. For whatever reason, that event was cancelled with very little notice. Mike Speich called me on Friday night (June 4, 2004) to request that THR furlough our THR Late Models on the 19th so that SAS could promote a replacement event. I called Brian Callaway who in turn called Jim Lynch to decide the best course of action.

As a TTOPA member and in the spirit of cooperation we readily agreed to honor Mr. Sepich's request in spite of the fact that a financial loss would be incurred by THR due to the advertising issues.

Does that sound like "a fallout" when one partner makes a significant concession to be cooperative with another partner? Sounds more like THR bending over backwards to be cooperative to me.

Nick Holt

That's good. It just didn't "read" that way to me so I asked a question. I'd hate to see things get all derailed before they get really rolling. Don't be afraid to toot your TTOPA horn a little. Take all the stuff that's in the last post and put it in the first post next time, LOL.

Jay

I probably should have asked my question offline...sorry.

My thought, given the info in the original post, was that this race "came out of nowhere". My second thought was to check the THR schedule because we were going to be there on the 19th too. When I saw that the late models were scheduled that night but "off" the next, I wondered why SAS just didn't have the "out of the blue" race on the 26th.

I think it's a great move on SAS's part and a great opportunity for the LLM's as well. I want the track association to make all the tracks stronger and was concerned that possibly one had "broken ranks" and fired a cheap shot at another. Glad that's not the case.

Jay

So since the THR late models are getting off again is there going to be a make up day for them to race whenever they were suppose to be off. They were already off quite a few nights, plus all the rain out days when they were suppose to be scheduled. I feel that it was smart to cancel the THR late models but then again it's not fair to take away their night of racing if ya'll don't reschedule them to race a night they were suppose to be off.

How come the decision to cancel the late models wasn't made before the drivers meeting. It would of been better considering Chuck could of made the announcement to the fans that there wasn't going to be late models here even though they were SUPPOSE to be here.

Let me take this opportunity to respond to several of the questions that have been asked about this event.

Last Thursday evening we recieved a phone call and fax from the promoter of the ARCA truck series asking to cancel the event scheduled for June 19 for several reasons. The reasons and concerns expresed were valid and anyone on this side of the business would understand the reasons for cancellation. The cancellation of this event caused a big problem for us. We had only scheduled the Sportsman and Road Runner Classes for support of the truck series race. These 2 classes simply do not provide a large enough show.

On Friday morning we carefully looked at all of our options to put together a big event. After looking at all of the local schedules we decided that the opportunity to put together a large purse late model event was the ideal event. The only real conflict was the Thunder Hill Late Models schedule for June 19. I contacted Nick about what we were up against and the reasons why San Antonio Speedway wanted to put together this event. Nick agreed to contact Brian and Jim for me and would return with an answer.

The TTOPA organization was put together to help the racing business overall and not just a single track or a single series or class of cars. Brian and Jim agreed to help with our event by giving the THR late models the night off. San Antonio Speedway sincerely wishes to say thank you and hopes that in the future that we can repay the courtesy extended by Brian, Jim, thier staff, and the THR late model competitors.

For the past several months on TSZ and in conversations with others the most common idea was to present a "run what you brung", large lap count, and high purse race for the late model style cars using current and enforced rules. The time has arrived to see if it will work. There are 4 different classes and/or series of cars using 4 different sets of rules that at the end of race when the checkered flag waves, are pretty darn close with the primary difference being the abilities of the driver and crew.

The purse pay out is garaunteed with 25 cars and we will start a field of up to 36. If more 36 entries arrive we will then set the field with the top 30 times and then the last 6 postions will be determined by a 8 lap last chance race. The only option for practice will be on Friday night June 18 or to enter the SAS late model race on June 12. See the schedule of events below or visit www.sanantoniospeedway.com

June 7 - 17

Track Closed NO practice

Friday June 18

Pit Gates Open 3:00 pm

Practice 5:00 – 9:30

$50.00 car - $10.00 person

Saturday October 26

9:00 am Pit Gates Open

12:00 pm Tech Inspection

1:00 pm Practice Begins

4:30 pm Practice Ends

5:00 pm Practice SAS Sportsman & Road Runners

6:00 pm Practice Ends

6:15 pm Drivers Meeting

7:00 pm Timed Qualifying

7:45 pm Opening Ceremonies

8:00 pm Texas Challenge Last Chance (if needed)

SAS Sportsman & Road Runners Heat Races

Lone Star Quarter Midgets

SAS Sportsman & Road Runners Feature Races

9:15 pm Texas Challenge

Overnight parking with Armed Security for Campers, Motor Homes, haulers, and racecars will be permitted in pits.

If you have any questions or concerns please call our office 210-829-0405 or email me at sasmike@swbell.net

Mike Sepich

outlaw22,

well it seems likes to me the SAS sportsman & the THR SS cars have nice car count, how about a big race for those cars ??

Hopefully things like this will happen as TTOPA works out common rules and allowances and all the rest that's involved in merging similar, yet not identical, cars. I just hope Mike doesn't call and ask us to give the THR Street Stocks off on the 19th too! LOL

THR does have an excellent show also planned for the 19th. We've got the TAMS modifieds and the TPS cars along with the Street Stocks, the Hobby Stocks and the unbelievable Grand cars all running that night.

It is great to see the track owners and promoters working together to help asphalt stock car racing in Texas grow closer to its potential.

Nick Holt

nick , why dont thr have a big race for the thrss and the sas sportsman this year . like sas is having for the late modles . it would be a great race to see ,using the standing rules for both tracks with a few weight changes for tires and other rules for making it fare for both classes. just a thought for the future

lbeaver6,

Sooner or later all three TTOPA tracks will be doing just exactly what you are suggesting. It may happen this season, but those plans are still up in the air.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one.

Nick Holt

your welcome nick , the other thing i thought about after i did my other post is if thr or sas would have a big street stock race and get the streetstcoks from all the asphlt tracks in texas together for a state champ each year ,they do a race like it in washington state each year

So again I ask is the THR late models going to be rescheduled to race at THR a night they were suppose to be off. Again I agree it was a smart decision on THR's part,but still it's not fair to cancel the THR late models without rescheduling them.

THR does have an excellent show also planned for the 19th. We've got the TAMS modifieds and the TPS cars along with the Street Stocks, the Hobby Stocks and the unbelievable Grand cars all running that night.

THR also has KPEZ-FM Night out at the track on June 19th...

IN fact, if you go to www.z1023.com, you can register to run in the Celebrity Race Grand STock race at intermission. You can run against the Z-102.3 jocks in that race!

Archived