to: track owners/promoters/people of importance

lilmodified

as a lifelong fan of racing in general i have been to many, many tracks in my life and have, for the most part, enjoyed every one of them...

that being said, i have something for all u track owners, promoters, managers...whoever makes decisions and overlooks things at the various tracks:

this is in NO WAY a bash on ANY single track or any of it's "people" and i DO NOT want this thread turning into that!!

i'm simply providing information from myself, as a fan, and passing along what other fans have been telling me so far all season...because things have taken a wrong turn at our local tracks, and fans are beginning to become disgruntled...

a. we don't care what happened with your concessions or the people involved with them, we just want more than one choice on the menu

b. post visibly at EVERY gate what it costs to park...no matter where you are allowing people to park. having to pay AGAIN at the end of the night causes fans to not want to visit your track again.

c. if you are going to allow one driver to get away with something on the track...allow ALL drivers to get away with it. OR, if it is an obvious violation of the rules, DO NOT allow it for anyone

d. your tech people need refresher courses...and, glasses to read the rules

e. flagmen: see "d"

f. officials: see "d"

g. the people in the pit-stands are fans, too...we'd like to be able to hear what the people in "general population" are hearing on the p.a....put a speaker on the pit end

h. people in the ticket booth: PLEASE be careful and pay attention when putting those wrist bands on us...it really, really get's aggrivating having those things pulling the hairs on ur arms all night. please pay closer attention...it only takes another .10 of a second to apply them neatly

i. if you won't allow outside food/drinks, lower ur prices on water and gatorade. these are an absolute necessity in the sweltering heat of summer...taking our last dime from us when we're simply trying to stay hydrated should be against the law

j. when we approach you with a problem, listen to us...we wouldn't have taken time away from the races (the reason we showed up in the first place!) to wander around asking 6,000 people who you are just because we like to admire ur pretty faces..we have a reason for looking for you

k. remember-not all of us live within 5 miles of your track...we don't want to drive condiserable distances to repeatedly wind up disappointed or frustrated with your track...and, it won't happen too many times. we will simply go to another track

l. throw out the beligerent drunks-they are annoying...and we bring our children

m. you all have maintenance/cleaning crews: mow/trim the grass, stock the bathrooms, keep the drains open, the water running, pick up the trash, etc

n. maintenance/cleaning crews: see "d"

o. remember: the drivers and their crews are fans as well...and, if you cause them to not return to ur track ur losing double there..no drivers or fans returning

AGAIN! THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A BASHING!! IT IS NOT DIRECTED TO ANY TRACKS SPECIFICALLY, IT IS SIMPLY A GENERAL REQUEST FROM US FANS. PLEASE RESPECT ME BY NOT SAYING NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT A CERTAIN TRACK/OWNER, ETC...

that being said, if i missed something above and you would like to NICELY let the "higher-ups" know about something u feel should be addressed, please feel free to add to it..but KEEP IT CLEAN AND NICE!!

finally...all u owners/promoters/people that make a difference: WE, the fans, are the one's keeping your tracks open and operating. WE supply the money it takes for you to follow ur passion and allow us to follow ours. without us you have no track...and there are PLENTY of tracks still out there for us to attend...please make a concerted effort to think about what i've written and pay more attention to ur tracks and how the fans feel about some of these things..

we just want to take our families, friends, even just ourselves out for a fun, entertaining night of stock car racing. we don't have the benefit of the towers or heated/cooled haulers (i know, some drivers don't, either) to be comfortable in the blistering heat or the frigid cold, but we endure because we love this sport as much as you do...adding the aggrivations & frustrations of the aforemention items makes for a long, unhappy night.

thank you for ur attention, and see you at the track!

h. people in the ticket booth: PLEASE be careful and pay attention when putting those wrist bands on us...it really, really get's aggravating having those things pulling the hairs on your arms all night. please pay closer attention...it only takes another .10 of a second to apply them neatly

This is why I stopped going to the races.... :D

Jay

It sounds as if you (like myself) are one who can actually NOTICE things beyond the little bubble we usually operate in! So I thought I'd look at your points and see what it is you are noticing.

a. we don't care what happened with your concessions or the people involved with them, we just want more than one choice on the menu

I have always found lots of choices in the c'sionaires menu. Hot without mustard, hot dog with mustard, hot dog without catsup, hotdog with catsup, hotdog with catsup and mustard, hotdog with onions - the list is endless! :rolleyes:

b. post visibly at EVERY gate what it costs to park...no matter where you are allowing people to park. having to pay AGAIN at the end of the night causes fans to not want to visit your track again.

Can't say as I've ever had this happen - but obviously it has. This practice just ain't right - especially considering how tight we have to budget to entertain our families nowadays. I do not always carry a lot of cash - and as such it would be hugely embarassing to have already scraped my pockets to provide for snacks etc only to find a suprise expense. Payment should be upfront.

c. if you are going to allow one driver to get away with something on the track...allow ALL drivers to get away with it. OR, if it is an obvious violation of the rules, DO NOT allow it for anyone

d. your tech people need refresher courses...and, glasses to read the rules

e. flagmen: see "d"

f. officials: see "d"

This is always a complaint - when "your guy" gets penalized its easy to hold a grudge. Under that microscope ANY decision the officials make becomes wrong. There has to be leeway in judgements - but there also must be transperency in why the calls are made the way they are. that is difficult to say theleast as us fans don't always know how many warnings a guy got, what was said at the drivers mtg etc. Some promoters do newsletters to keep us in the loop as far as the politics of the offiating etc - but sometmes even knowing "why" can be quite controversial.

g. the people in the pit-stands are fans, too...we'd like to be able to hear what the people in "general population" are hearing on the p.a....put a speaker on the pit end

AMEN - the problem here can be that with the GS announcers calls coming in it can drown out the pit PA.

h. people in the ticket booth: PLEASE be careful and pay attention when putting those wrist bands on us...it really, really get's aggrivating having those things pulling the hairs on ur arms all night. please pay closer attention...it only takes another .10 of a second to apply them neatly

This may just be a little nit picky i my opinion. Usually these folks are volunteers. It's YOUR wrist - take some of the resonsibility here. I have had to wear these bands for as much as five days straight - sleep, shower and all, and know they can be a pain. But when ever someone is placing them on me I make sure its done in a way that I am confortable with.

i. if you won't allow outside food/drinks, lower ur prices on water and gatorade. these are an absolute necessity in the sweltering heat of summer...taking our last dime from us when we're simply trying to stay hydrated should be against the law

I resent folks who mark up water the same rate as other consumables.

j. when we approach you with a problem, listen to us...we wouldn't have taken time away from the races (the reason we showed up in the first place!) to wander around asking 6,000 people who you are just because we like to admire ur pretty faces..we have a reason for looking for you.

On race nite these folks are soooo busy - may I suggest getting a name, phone or email and following up with a non emergency issue later?

k. remember-not all of us live within 5 miles of your track...we don't want to drive condiserable distances to repeatedly wind up disappointed or frustrated with your track...and, it won't happen too many times. we will simply go to another track

Ever been to Daytona? The parking sucks, the both and ticket takers are far less than cordial, the parking REALLY sucks - but the races are always worth it. Sometimes we got decide if the show is worth the drive, hassle etc. So I agree with ya. But aside from valet parking, onsite restaraunts, etc what CAN a small track promoter provide to make it easier to get our fix of legal speed?

l. throw out the beligerent drunks-they are annoying...and we bring our children

Complain immediatly to security when someones behavior crosses the line - first complaint should be a warning - second removal. If local security can't deal with it call 911 - the drunks are still bound by the law and as the victi you have the legal right to press a charge.

m. you all have maintenance/cleaning crews: mow/trim the grass, stock the bathrooms, keep the drains open, the water running, pick up the trash, etc

We used to work six hours after the race to clean the track and stands. Then we would work 2 hours before the race to ready the track. The gates would open and with 1 hour there was trash everywhere! Stand back and watch how many folks will throw that hot dog wrapper on the ground with a trash can within 5 feet of em. And don't even get me started on the cig butts - I am a smoker but if I don't have an ashtray I will put it out and place the dead butt back i the pack (I keep an empty pack with me when I know I will be out away from ash trays for awhile)

n. maintenance/cleaning crews: see "d"

o. remember: the drivers and their crews are fans as well...and, if you cause them to not return to ur track ur losing double there..no drivers or fans returning

Most tracks have some form of association that makes these decisions. Many also have auxiliary associations that have lots of input into some of the issues you describe. Find out who the members are (or even join yourself) and get your voice heard that way! I've made many friends over the years through these types of involvement levels. And I feel good about the differences my voice has made!

In response to "h" turn your arm over were there is very little hair or none on the inside... And when there is a line and people are complaining that it's taking to long, I try as hard as I can not to get peoples hair when putting on an armband it's honestly not as easy as you think! I promise!!!!

For the drunks wanting to be kicked out... There is a family section, those drunks are fans too! Just because they drink doesn't make them less of a fan...

lol hair on the arms ......would you like to go back to staples ..... i did that way back ..had alot of poeple not happy ..terry labonte was one of em .....i always heard // dont put a hole in my shirt or fire suit ..that was hard not to do when thats all they had to staple to .. and some of those women with certain typ of clothing or lack of made it very interesting to say the least ..[.chuckle chuckle ]. just tell the folks how to put it on you ..

Cory, it's a huge issue. I personally refuse to go to tracks that won't put wrist bands on right. I'm sure there are many more out there who are all set to boycott tracks with wrist band issues... LOL

But, seriously, I have been on most sides of the racing world for a long, long time and, frankly, I have never met a promoter who does not seek feedback from fans. Some even pay good money to have fan surveys completed. I'm sure the intent of this thread was to provide this sort of positive feedback to promoters in general, and I appreciate that fact and I'm pretty sure the promoters who read this thread appreciate the positive intent of the poster.

But whenever the gates swing open a bit, there are those with axes to grind and soap boxes to climb ready to jump in swinging. And I have deleted a couple of posts that did exactly that. Thankfully I happened to be on the thread at the time.

So, just as the thread originator has asked to keep things positive and encouraging, so do I.

Thanks.

Nick

Race control did tell the driver of ministock in question that if his plastic bumper cover came off he would be black flagged the bumper cover did not come off and he did not cause a yellow.

Example: Legacy race bumper and fender were dragging and those did fly off and the driver was black flagged and sent to the rear. That car caused a yellow.

Race control did tell the driver of ministock in question that if his plastic bumper cover came off he would be black flagged the bumper cover did not come off and he did not cause a yellow.

Example: Legacy race bumper and fender were dragging and those did fly off and the driver was black flagged and sent to the rear. That car caused a yellow.

Fair Enough. My point was that it should have been removed, that's all. I was not monitoring a radio so I did not hear that conversation, I also was not aware of the "parts hanging off rule". I just remember that in the advent of "safety" this wasn't allowed. What if the piece had come off and got up under a car and cut a tire or got airborn and hit a windshield. Possibility for a bad crash or car damage. I remember the Legacy race also, if the tail piece had been removed prior to it coming off the car, there would have been no need for a caution. That's my only point, why wait for a possible situation to occur? This is by no means meant to stir up any criticism of the driver or officiating crew On Saturday night. I have been "enlightened" on the subject of parts hanging off a car. Thank You. Lenny66 B)

Item j is real big, in my opinion also. Finding the right official or employee can be a daunting task, whether it's for a toilet overflowing or a beligerent spectator. I have been around our track enough to know how to get needs met, but a lot of fans would most likely head to the announcer's booth because they know SOMEBODY OFFICIAL will be there. Quite a number of fans are friends of the track, and can help with non-political issues that would otherwise tie up the operator(s), and should be allowed/encouraged to do so.

Since i have been on both sides of the fence,I will side with the track owners,promoters,RACE TRACKS MAKE NO MONEY!!.We should all be THANK- FULL they put up with all the crying..How many go to the track a couple of times a week to do what seems simple,MOW,Clean restrooms,spot paint,etc...And if outsiders handled all the calls of ,YOU should do this,Or that..IT GETS OLD!!I would be at the track for three days to prep it,And there were FEW if any help get it ready..And the cash brought in wont cover paying to do all a track needs..As a track owner,promoter,you get to be there first,leave last, and get phone calls all Sunday asking why some things were not done differently..There is my point of view from two years at SAS and two years at I37..Its just a thankless, NO PROFIT deal...Frank Torres

No doubt that's true in most cases, Frank. I question the sanity of anyone willing to do it, as I do the nuts that put a driveshaft coupled to a thousand horses between their legs!!! God LOVE 'em though! I volunteer many, many hours, and quite a few of them at my local track, which almost didn't survive the politics surrounding it. I do it for the PEOPLE involved, to help enable them to do what THEY love so much. If what I do helps put or keep fans happy, super. If that brings in a couple more bucks to help pay the bills, great! I wish more people could/would use the trash cans, the plunger, the parking lot. What I have tried to help the track with also is perspective; as listed in the initial post, there could be some overlooked items that a fan or participant see that the operator can't because he's too busy prepping the facility! You go in day after day with everything that you have to do on your mind, a fan comes to have a good time. Totally different expectations! I don't know how our operator created such a loyal fan base of drivers and fans alike, but it has paid off for him in a mighty way. I also believe you need to stay at the helm for at least several years (just like driving) to see positive results. I'll list 3 examples that come to mind, I'm sure there are others: Cowtown, Kennedale, Abilene. I wouldn't say these operators got rich, but I would call them successful. And I bet each one would like to know how to do "just a little bit better". If volunteerism is encouraged, it brings pride in ownership to each of them, kids too. We had a last-minute work day on Memorial Day, 60+ people showed up to work with no expectations except making the place ready to race. That's cool. Love your track, people, it can be gone in the wink of an eye!

I have to give my 3 cents on letter "C". Happend in the Mini-Stock race. Parts hanging off of cars, should not be allowed, regardless of who it is. <_< I remember when that used to be a "Black Flag". Lenny66 B)

glad someone else was thinking the very same thing ;)

Archived