Danica @ Texas

maverick

Sanctioning body is already looking at requiring 6 on the truck - 2 with pressurized bottle response, one to assist driver, 2 on the hose and the last man to help where needed.

the current 1 for the driver and three for the hose just showed how bad and how fast it gets bad when something goes wrong. In this cas the hose was not connected right. But also notice the guys that responded - who was supposed to go for the driver? the first guy out of the truck went straight for the hose - it wasn't until he noticed that ALL FOUR were working the hose that he went to help Simone. Then when they finally realized that the hose was not going to happen and grabbed a pressure bottle - the pin was still ziptied in for transport!!!!

It is the crews responsibilty to unziptie the pin at the start of the day and reziptie it at the end. Quite a few oopses along the way on this one.

yep those oopses will kill someone ..cant be any mistakes when dealing with someone who has wrecked or on fire ..there is no excuse for poor firemenship .. they should take those guys ..and train then just like the pit crews do ..wont be many mistakes that way ..

Unless you were there on that booster(firetruck) , you don't know what it was that went wrong or more precisely what caused them to be so slow. The main thing I saw was the water was not flowing like maybe it should have been. The only way to prevent this from happening again is training,training, training.Every man on the crew should have a responsibilty when something like this happens, it's easy to sit in front of the tv and say they should do this and that, but it's a whole different ballgame when it really goes south like it did at Texas.I'm just talking from 26 years of experience as a professional firefighter in Houston, I found myself yelling at the tv also,I can tell you from experience that no one feels worse that the crews that were trying to help Simone .just my opinion. B)

Unless you were there on that booster(firetruck) , you don't know what it was that went wrong or more precisely what caused them to be so slow. The main thing I saw was the water was not flowing like maybe it should have been.

ummm... or unless you know how to read - from the very reports submitted to TMS and IndyCar. And the water was not flowing at all - is that described technically as "not the way it should have"

it's easy to sit in front of the tv and say they should do this and that

I was told third hand about the incident - did not even see it on TV - just done my research and repeated what is common knowledge now.

I'm just talking from 26 years of experience as a professional firefighter in Houston

And the NHRA saftey safari (the best hands down) disagrees with many local proffessional firefighters on how to specifically handle the unique challenges of auto sports accidents. Not to say our firefighters are NOT good, smart well trained and heroic folks - their training covers a lot of scenarios that auto sports never will see. I would rather take heart health advice from a cardiologist than my general practioner - and I trust them both implicitly.

The only thing left to speculation is how much of a role panic played in the delay - speaking from experience it's hard to gather your thoughts back and shift to plan B when plan A fails! Especially when you can feel the heat from the fire. I was #1 nozzle on a two hose team addressing an engineroom fire - hose was dead - I was supposed to duck and retreat allowing #2 hose to get past me - instead I stood there like an idiot pushing the bail back and forth as if THAT would make the water come on! #2 nozzle knocked me over and my hoseman pulled me back. My "panic" risked ALL of our lives - and I was never even scared! Running through the mental checklist I just kept re-trying the failed step. The debriefing was very painful to say the least.

I can tell you from experience that no one feels worse that the crews

No doubt - I feel for them. Especially given that Simone said the biggest issue she had was that they pulled her sideways (rather than straight out) and made her get even stucker. (They did this to keep her from the heat column - even though it meant they had to lean further into it). Bravery and "crunch thinking" are two different things. I hope future crews are allowed to use the vids as training exercise. With naratives from those involved the images have a lot to teach.

all the preceeding being said, I was thankful that big guy finally gave up on everything else, stood his ground in a fire and decided to physically overpower the situation.

Right, wrong or indifferent I would've been grateful to that man too.

that was man sized work there...good job

jay