Out of the stands and into the pits

abrungot

Pondering how we get fans to go from fans to drivers....

With what i will call recient success of the THR stands, i wonder this... how do we get fans that have that itch to drive a car... to build one and drive them?

Is the issue that we don't have car suppliers? and Fans don't have the resources to build?

Mini stocks for example. How do we get people to put a car together and watch this class grow.

CC, the ECOs at HMP are the class called ministock at THR. Except they don't allow the 6 cyl. at THR.

There actually have been a couple new folks have come out of the stands at HMP to race in the ECOs. Its pretty neat to see that.

my 2 cents

I think you really have to sell it though. Years ago you just open up any class and people jumped on the new thing. Today, people want to be showed things, they want it explained. A lot of the answers I give to fans are things most racers take for granted. But, "you don't know what you don't know". I still lift the hood on the car to show off the oil covered motor to explain, "you can't modify anything, you just get in and drive it".

Also I think it can be intimidating to someone who may not know anyone at the track. Think about pulling in and parking by yourself without knowing anyone, not knowing where to go, or how to get started. Most of us got started in racing after we had already been going for a while, and made friendships and contacts that could help us out. All racers can help with this. Those fans that do show interest, and ask questions and want to know about all the aspects of what it takes could be the next new car to roll through the gate.

we took a car to the car show in 1990... set up a video of our races ..and talked to anyone who would listen ..it worked . picked up a couple of new drivers ...the main problem is .most poeple have no place to build one ... alot dont have the money .even eco stock cost alittle to buy and build ... heck i have been looking around for one to build for sometime ... dan from cc has gone out to auctions . he cant find anything cheap ..plus with the gas prices and poeple out of work or just haveing a hard time makeing ends meet .they dont want to part with that old junker ..i sell parts .and i have been amazed at what poeple are buying parts for .cheaper to spend 1000 on a repair of an old car than buy a new one ..old klunkers are worth more now ....a couple of years ago .crt had a few chevy four bangers ..he bought em cheap .not today ..that same car poeple are repairing ...

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Ask the fans “who wants to get involved with racing”. Set up a table on the hill and let the fans fill out an info card. On the card they can list contact info and the type of car they would like to race.

Draw some names and place each one with a race team. They can first learn the in and outs of what happens during race day. As a guest crew member, they could become the person who carries tires to get changed, fills up the fuel jugs, carts the spares and tools to pit road before the race etc. Basically a race team gains an extra pair of hands and the fan gets to learn first hand what goes on during race day. Put them on a 2 to 4 race “probation” period to see how they adapt. Once they make it past the designated time put them in a racecar with two seats (passenger side). The sky is the limit…

The guest crewmember will get hands on knowledge of the hard work that goes into race day. The team will gain an extra set of hands as well as a new friend.

This may be just the thing that carries them from a dream to reality.

Good idea....

and...

Let's keep the fans coming!!! More fans, more potential racers!

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Ask the fans “who wants to get involved with racing”. Set up a table on the hill and let the fans fill out an info card. On the card they can list contact info and the type of car they would like to race.

Draw some names and place each one with a race team. They can first learn the in and outs of what happens during race day. As a guest crew member, they could become the person who carries tires to get changed, fills up the fuel jugs, carts the spares and tools to pit road before the race etc. Basically a race team gains an extra pair of hands and the fan gets to learn first hand what goes on during race day. Put them on a 2 to 4 race “probation” period to see how they adapt. Once they make it past the designated time put them in a racecar with two seats (passenger side). The sky is the limit…

The guest crewmember will get hands on knowledge of the hard work that goes into race day. The team will gain an extra set of hands as well as a new friend.

This may be just the thing that carries them from a dream to reality.

i like your ideal ... crt use to have a big shop .we built a few cars for some drivers to help get them going . didnt charge anything .steven and his dad foot alot of the bill ...it was fun helping them ... ...dont have that shop .anymore ..though ...and not the time and energy.... anytime you can get that fan out of the stands and get some hands on ..you ussualy hook em ..

Have some cars inside the entrance before the races start ofr the fans to looks at when they come in. Buffalo Park use to have a driver of the week and handed out black and white pictures for the driver to autograph.The autograph booth is a good start as well had grown ups asking questions as much as the kids.

Someone could expand on this.

We have all seen shows highlighting drivers and what they go thru. Take the camera off the driver and put it on the crew. Show what it takes to become a productive member of a pit crew. Document the progression from fan to active member of a race team. The ultimate goal would be for the fan to strap in and race. Add a in car camera facing the passenger, capturing the excitement on his/her face would be a nice touch.

For a continuation, take a donated car and let the 4 or 6 new crewmembers build their own car and race team. It could go full circle when they themselves take in a selected race fan.

I think it would be interesting for the other race fans to follow, especially if the segments could be looped on a couple of TV’s

“Blood, Sweat and Gears”

(making the team)

Trust me, I'll be the first person to tell you all it takes is one ride in a mini stock to get hooked. I think everyone that has got to drive mine has said just how much fun they are.

now if you can just get em a full time ride ...one thing i have asked poeple ..do you like go carts .. if they said yes .i tell them they can mutiply that fun ten fold in a racecar ...

I see some good suggestions about building a car and selling raffle tickets. But who would build the car?

I've heard rumors that the Auto Mech. teacher at the high school here got in touch with some of the surrounding schools and challenged them to build a front runner/mini stock. Once they are all completed have the kids race a couple of times.

I say reach out to the Auto Mech teachers in your area... Get them excited... If one of the kids parents don't buy the car for them at the end of the year have them donate them to the track to raffle off?

I see some good suggestions about building a car and selling raffle tickets. But who would build the car?

I've heard rumors that the Auto Mech. teacher at the high school here got in touch with some of the surrounding schools and challenged them to build a front runner/mini stock. Once they are all completed have the kids race a couple of times.

I say reach out to the Auto Mech teachers in your area... Get them excited... If one of the kids parents don't buy the car for them at the end of the year have them donate them to the track to raffle off?

I like the idea about the schools building race cars. I think one of the biggest problem these days is young people are not taught the skills it takes to build a race car. Now days you go to school, learn a specific trade, and thats what you do. If you need anything you just buy it, not build it. But you just cant buy a mini stock or street based race car like you can go out and buy a dwarf, sport mod, modified, sprint car or so on. Maybe some body should go into the business of building ministocks, prolly be hard to make any profit though.

Maybe a track could put on a race car building seminar, Possibly at the track at intermission time. Spend about half an hour a week showing them the basics like a kit cage, seat mounting and safety stuff. Answer some questions and stuff.

Debbie,

I am sure that there are people that would be willing to do the work, issue always is.. who foots the bill?

Also who makes sure it happens... I know Terry build alot of cars, Also the raffle was tried... just didn't have the right energy behind it...

If you do the mini stock proper and safe below is a quick list of what is needed

Drivers Seat

Window Net

Pipe

Welding Supplies

Switches (fuel Cut-off/Master Power)

Paint/Decals

Battery Box/ Battery Cable

Roll bar Padding

Quick Disconnect/Steering Wheel

Lexan for windshield.

Hood Pins

Seat Belts

Fire Extinguisher

Scanner

Drivers Suit's

Transponder

i don't know how many wrecker services there are in thr area, but i get a lot of those roller skate cars that the driver went to jail or was picked up on a policy tow and the owner never comes to get the car. i bet that if someone from the track would contact one of the local wrecker services and ask for a car to build and that the track would use there company name on the car, a wrecker company may just sponsor a car, it's worth checking out, don't cost nothing but a little time and a phone call !!! thanks, del

p.s. aaron, tell joey i'm going to need several little # 14 bandaids, my car has got joey written all over it, ha! ha! :P

Archived