CHECK OUT THIS CHICK!

Budman

I visited "THE NEST" a couple of weeks ago and shot a few pics. Hey, its still the off-season. I'm allowed. We can't ALL be all about racing ALL the time. I thought some of you might find this stuff interesting.

Sorry about the focus and resolution on some of these. I got a little too aggressive on the film speed and focal length, not to mention it was afternoon, so most of these are back lit. I'll try to do better next time. Still, I think they are enjoyable pics.

post-1274-1265476307.jpg

Actually, there are two chicks in that nest.

Next pic: Mom and Dad at play, high above. I don't really know WHAT they were doing. Flying high, in an aerial ballet, circling, dip, dive and swoop at each other. Play? Courting? Sparing? .... don't know, but it was spectacular to witness. I watched for quite a while through my camera with a telephoto lens and took a few pics. When I took the camera away from my eye, amazingly, they were so high, they were completely out of sight with the unaided eye.

post-1274-1265478077.jpg

(More to come.)

Edited by Budman

Chase, they are up here in the hill country west of me. The pair returns to that nest every year in November I'm told. Chicks are born in Dec. They nest until late March, when the chicks are big enough to migrate north with the parents.

These pics were taken from right beside the highway. TxDot has paved a parking area there, off the highway for safety's sake.

That is a great day trip to take the kids, so long as they are old enough to respect and appreciate what they are seeing. Be sure to take binoculars. Although it is no great secret, I hesitate to give the exact location on this public forum. I will pm you THAT later, along with anyone else on here who is interested. Just pm me.

nice family photo.s bud ..are they second or third cousins ..... on your side of the family ......jk ..great pic.s where i live the largest bird you see flying around .come in the thousands and make a big mess on your windshield and paint jobs ..and sometimes you get lucky enough to place yourself in the right spot ..and they drop one in on you ......what is thier real name .i forgot . i have my own name for em ........

Edited by HiTech

lol ..no dano those birds are stupid .well the one that hangs out at work .it does not seem to understand ,the bird it is trying hook up with ..is its own reflection in the store window ..this is every day ....no the bird im talking aboult flys in from the bays and ocean ..eats darn near anything you throw up at it ...... lets say your out at sea lost and you notice one of those birds flying by ..that means one thing right ...land is near ...

H/T, birds do some funny and amazing things. One little bird spent half of last summer pecking at the "other bird" in the outside rearview mirror of my truck.

There is a Mc Donalds out on HWY 183 in Austin. A mockingbird used to live in the parking lot there. He would look for anybody sitting in their car eating in the parking lot. He learned to land on their outside mirrors and mooch french fries and pieces of hamburger bun from everyone.

Where I used to work before I retired there was a big pecan tree hanging out over the street out front. When the pecans got ripe and started to fall, a crow would show up. He would pick up a pecan in his beak, fly out to the street and set it neatly in the traffic lane. Then he would fly up and set on the limb over-hanging the street and watch that pecan. Pretty soon a car would come along, run over the pecan and crack it for him. Then he would fly down, pick up the big pieces and carry them off to the side of the road and eat the "meat" from the broken pieces. That crazy bird would do that all day long. :D

Edited by Budman

HECK OF A STORY ...MAKES ME THINK BACK 35 YEARS AGO .WE HAD A VERY LARGE RAT LIVEING WITH US .TRIED AND TRIED TO CATCH THAT MONSTER .... WE HAD ONE OF THOSE TRAPS BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD A MOOSE ... SITTING WITH A FRIEND WATEING TO SEE IF THIS MONSTER WOULD SHOW UP .CUZ I WAS GOING TO SHOOT THAT DARN THING IF THE TRAP DIDNT GET HIM .... WELL HE SHOWED UP .AND I DIDNT SHOOT .AND THE TRAP DIDNT GET EM ..THAT DARN RAT PICKED UP A PIN .DROPED IT AGROSS THE TRAP SET IT OFF GRAB THE FOOD .AND OFF HE WAS GONE ..I DIDNT SHOOT CUZ BOTH OF US WERE AMAZED ...

Edited by HiTech