former ROMCO/ superlatemodel tracks

racerboy2002

The little Altus track runs the USLMA late-model association. To be honest, it is not good racing with these cars.

Now the track across the street, Sooner, was a great late-model track. but is now closed due to airport expansion.

Another track, Wichita Falls, is in terrible shape, not fit for a superlate model. Too small for good racing.

Twin Cities (Midland-Odessa) last ran in 1999, being used by a truck driving school.

Longhorn in Austin is closed. probably for good this time.

That is about the options we have had since the early 90's, those tracks and the ones we race at now.

Now if you want to go back 25 years or so, you could have added Meyer in Houston, San Angelo, Abilene, Amarillo, and Lubbock. All these are closed, covered in dirt, or gone.

In the very early, pre-TIDA LM series days, those cars used to race in Mexico. Neil Upchurch used to help organize those races and can tell us exactly where those tracks were.

And don't forget the TIDA races at the Texas World Speedway road course.

Does anyone know if the nice little road course just North of Monterrey Mexico is still race worthy?

Nick Holt

Reb,

I'd like to see a race put together for TWS. It looks like it's still in pretty good shape and owners lease it for special events (right up ROMCO's MO). Maybe in combination with 2 or 3 other traveling series. With advertising it could pull fans from Bryan/Coll Sta, Brenham, and Houston. Or what about the road course? I think it's still there.

Regarding TWS road racing:

A couple of Octobers ago, Robert Mullins asked me to talk to my former boss, Dick Conole, owner of Texas World Speedway. Robert wanted me to exam the possibility of ROMCO, Texas Pro Sedans and a some other appropriate touring series who can adapt to road courses, renting TWS and having a road race.

I spent a good bit of time and long distance toll calls as per Robert's request, in his hehalf. What I found out from Conole was that the road circuits (there is more than one) are good to go.

The problem was that TWS had rent contracts for every wekend that year except for News Years Day and Dick wanted that weekend off, TWS wasn't for rent then. Upon hearing the report, I guess Robert Mullins just lost interest. A lot of money and work would be necessary to pull off the project.

What is needed is a major investor to step forward, provide sufficient funds, hire me to put the whole project together in 2005 or 2006 and we'll just have the rebirth of the Texas Race of Champions.

Serious persons should contact me at 210/655-3222 or > neilupchurch@sbcglobal.net

Remember those fun races at College Station? I am ready and willing to organize another TROC.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director & Founder of TROC

Texas World Speedway

Does anyone know if the nice little road course just North of Monterrey Mexico is still race worthy?

The vintage sportscar group in Texas was planning to be a support race for CART at the Monterrey race, but CART had to wait to release their schedule so they won't be able to race with them this year. If CART is still around next year there might be some possibilities there.

Neil,

Last I heard, the stands at TWS were in no condition to have spectators and the track does not want people in them anyways. It would be awesome if this was put together but if there aren't any super late models then there shouldnt be a TROC.

Jason,

I think there is still some spectator seating available including a large glass-enclosed spectator area directly under the press suites. I have written to Dick Conole to get the latest seating arrangements.

Nick Holt

I was at TWS 10 days ago. The stands are fit for seating. The problem is that the parking for those seats is absolutely zero. The most common place to watch the races is in the 'pit suites' which are the elevated platforms above the hot pit area. You also can't use much of the 2 mile oval so you have to use the 1.8 or 2.9 configurations of the road course.

Reb,most of the buccks was put into the repaving of the track and courses,I think they had to remove the glass from thee big box area of the stands from what I remember hearing,they did try to sell some of the bleacher seats years ago,but I don't think they had any luck,still don't know how many seats are left though.Yes I would love to race there again with the TPS cars in our current configuration,there was always a lot of fun to be had there, :lol: and I am sure you and Nick can still get into a lot of trouble in your walkers still.(all in fun)

Jason,

I heard back from TWS this morning. Here is their response to my inquiry about the spectator grandstands.

+++++++++++++

Nick- ... Our grandstands are still in place, but we don't use them because the restrooms and concessions stands on the hill are not up to snuff. Since we are just holding club races and driver's schools, all spectators are admitted into the paddock/garage/pit areas. Rusty Rush TWS 979/690-2500

+++++++++++++

Nick Holt

Archived