Anti-Virus Software

Budman

I have been having somewhat of a conflict with my current Anti-Virus Software provider. I know this is not directly racing related, but it most certainly is a topic ALL of us on here can relate to.

It appears I will soon be looking for another provider of this service for my computer. Which one(s) do you like/use? Are the costs reasonable? Which ones should be avoided? etc., etc. Lets hear from ya. :)

I used to use Avira, the free version, as it has always been well-rated. Somehow though, over the last couple of years it has managed to stop updating itself on every machine I have had it on.

I am now using the Avast free version, but looking at Norton Internet Security 2010, which is getting lots of good reviews.

I just had a custom computer built, and the guys there recommended AVG which I'm currently using. I had McCafee on my last computer, and it continuously messed up and it also takes up alot of space and caused my computer to start up slowly sometimes. All of the locally owned Computer places I've been to recommend AVG.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure all traces of the old software is removed. This usually requires a special trip to your former vendor's site to locate their "complete removal" utility.

The anti virus companies are at war with each other and often embed stuff that is not removed when Windows tries to remove it using their removal utility that comes with Windows.

Nick

Buddy, I've had Norton before and it was ok, but I wasn't going to keep paying for it, more and more every year.

I switched to AVG(free edition) and now they want me(almost REQUIRING me) to upgrade to what looks like a pay version.

While virus-wise I've had no issues with AVG....whenever it does its auto updates/scans it drags my computer down to a crawl or freezes it up.....This really sucks when you're in the middle of an online poker tourney and it crashes when you've got pocket aces :angry:.....Now I just pause any scans, but can't seem to stop auto updates

Personally I'm considering "uninstalling"

I used to use Avira, the free version, as it has always been well-rated. Somehow though, over the last couple of years it has managed to stop updating itself on every machine I have had it on.

I am now using the Avast free version, but looking at Norton Internet Security 2010, which is getting lots of good reviews.

Just a note about Norton. I used Norton anti virus and internet security for several years at a pretty price until my system was corrupted by a virus that somehow snuck through all that Norton I had. Well this is where I learned about this company. Their technical assistance was almost nonexistant unless you like talking to someone in India who is reading off a logic table and each time they refer you to another "technician" you go through the same logic table over and over. After two days of no usable solutions to correct my system, I dumped the Norton and have used Avast ever since. And Avast in my opinion is superior to the high priced Norton products. Whereas NAV updated once a week, Avast updates as needed and sometimes two to three times a day. I have heard that AVG is also excellent but have not used it personally. Stick with the Avast for a while and I believe you will learn to trust and prefer it over those paid versions.

For periodic, in-depth sweeps, it doesn't get any better than Malware Bytes, or A-Squared.

As far as Norton, over the years it got to be bloated, ineffective, and almost impossible to remove. I still vividly remember, back in 2001, using every possible deinstallation technique, including searching the registry for anything with Norton, NAV, or Symantec in it. However, the reviewers are saying that Norton has gotten with the program, and the 2010 product is one of the best out there - light, fast and effective.

That said, I haven't made the switch from Avast yet, myself. It hasn't helped that the Norton I bought from buy.com was supposed to be for a 3-user license but turned out to be from a less than honest seller who sent an OEM (1-user) license. Be very careful on buy.com.

Archived