Worst Wrecks Ever

Dawn

This week Joey Logano was all over TV after his wreck at Dover. It was bad, but I have seen much worse as I know you all have. Tell me what wrecks you think were some of the worst and please if you have links to footage, include if you can!

THANKS

DAWN

jeff bodine, truck race at daytona in feb. 2000 ?

thanks kathy, i had the wrong name, but i used edit!!!

Stanley Smith in Talladega in the 80's or 90's comes to mind. Another bad one would be during the same time period at Bristol. I dont recall who it was, but it was during a practice session and some left the gate open and they struck it and the car broke in half just behind the driver's seat.

The Bristol wrecks...Either the Michael Waltrip one or the guy whio hit the divider and then was hit again and the car was split in two right next to the driver's seat. All he had to do was stand up to get out. I don't remember his name. Bad wrecks both of them.

His name was Mike Harmon. It was a Busch Series race and Either Johnny Sauter or Casey Atwood hit him... That one was bad.

The Bristol wrecks...Either the Michael Waltrip one or the guy whio hit the divider and then was hit again and the car was split in two right next to the driver's seat. All he had to do was stand up to get out. I don't remember his name. Bad wrecks both of them.

His name was Mike Harmon. It was a Busch Series race and Either Johnny Sauter or Casey Atwood hit him... That one was bad.

Agreed, that one was unbelievable. Hard to believe that the guy is still here today. Joey's wreck wasnt a big deal in my opinion.

Stanley Smith's wreck resulted in all of the teams having spotters during practice sessions. He was on the back straightaway and spun out. He was waiting to fire the car back up and another car hit him on the driver's side at full speed.

I believe that was Eric Martin, he was hit by Debrah Renshaw. Eric radioed in said he was OK, 10 seconds later, renshaw hit him and killed him. That is when NASCAR mandated spotters anytime cars were on the track.

here is a pic of harmons car at the motorsports hall of fame at talladega

Have not been there in a couple years, but Mike Waltrips' Bristol crash car was there also.

John Andretti at TMS. The wreck itself wasnt to bad. The fact that the car came to rest against the wall on the drivers side then burst into flames made for some scary moments. If John wasnt as small as he is or had he been knocked out he might have been burned pretty badly.

Also, bad SAS wreck was when one of the Kelly boys(don't remember if it was John Jr. or Patrick) hit the support pole at the backstretch gate.

mike denmans fire at sas that was on espn

September, 1989, that was a bad one, Denman got burned a little, but Mike Meeks got the worst. He was in rehab for months.

Also involved was Beaver Stelzig and Johnny Walker; Same Walker now racing PLM in Houston.

An interesting side note to that fire is it was shown on an ESPN show Dave Despain had back then; I don't recall the name. Despain was in the press box that night watching it all go down, and included footage in his show. He was at SAS to do a story on the TIDA Late Model series and Neil Upchurch.

The race was eventually won by Rick Rapp, followed by Greg Davidson and Jay Watson.

I've seen racers wreck hundreds of times, but two wrecks stand out as ones I regret witnessing in person. They both resulted in fatalities. The first was Joe Schweiss at Pan American when his cage collapsed in on him during what should have been a relatively minor incident; the car was built by that year's tech inspector, and had a muffler pipe cage.

The second was Ronnie Miller of Oklahoma who was coming off Turn 4 at TWS and someone else who has no business in a racecar turned down in front of him. Miller spun to the infield grass, where his car dug in and flipped. The windshield almost decapitated him, blood loss killed him shortly after leaving the track in helicopter.

Archived