An open letter to our critics

SVCMNGR1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just a few comments to make. I was there at THR last week and plained to race but due to first race of the season and not enough attention to details I broke just unloading the car at the track. So I did not have ants in my pants to make me want to race and get that buckle the seat belt pee pee chitters. I loaded the car on the trailer and went to the stands and for the first time in a very long time I watched from the start to the finish that night sitting in the stands and I completely forgot about the car sitting on the trailer until about 20 people/kids come up to me in the stands and asked why was I not out there. I really did not pay attention to the clock and had a hell of a time watching all the races. I yelled and screamed and said a few words I should not have I am sure but if there was 1 heat and 1 feature to a A-main and B-main it is awesome to see 40 cars on that track at one time at Thunderhill. If you think about it if those cars were not there you could be that at least 100 people in the stands would not be there at $18 bucks a pop and you could bet atleast 100 people in the stands would not be in the pits at $23 bucks. I would not have no problem seeing that many cars in anyclass. You dont see people complaining about when we have 35 street stocks with well we all know that crash up derby that usually happens in that class. I lot of people dont care for racing they want to see some awesome wrecks. So anyways I would love to see atleast 20 cars in hobby and 35 street stocks and 20 LM and that extra dollar from the 1000's of tickets go into the points fun for the racers to have to help start the next season. You will not see no complaining then when you get that check you will just smile and say thank you fans/drivers/out of towners. I do agree with somebody stepping up and get the kids club going again. Just because we lost that leader does not mean that somebody's wife or mother or somebody cant get this going again and get those kids back to the track.

OK enough from me.

Jay"black flag" Simon or would that be the "#1 finger simon"

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

I totally agree with

somebody stepping up and get the kids club going again. Just because we lost that leader does not mean that somebody's wife or mother or somebody cant get this going again and get those kids back to the track.

Jay, I will be very happy to turn all of the Next Generation Racers Kids Club info over to someone that has the love for the kids! My Dad and I started the kids club back @ Longhorn Speedway and tried to continue it @ THR. I have some wonderful memories from those four or so years. Colt James coming to several of the meetings and speaking to the kids about racing and what it means to him, Casey Smith doing the same thing, these two young fine examples of race car drivers being such a great influence on the children of the Next Generation of Racers.

It would make my heart feel a lot of pride to see this get started again and I am sure my Dad, the late Jake Wallace would be smiling down. It is just like tomorrow, when we as racers all come out to help another racer, like Shawn Paul Lehman that our true colors come out. It was the same with the NGR Club, drivers taking their Sunday to ride on a train with the NGR kids, just so they could really get to know the drivers (their hero's)! Why some people want to continue to bash TSRS like they do is beside me, I do not bash TSZ, most of the time I am telling people how informative it is! But I must agree with some, it too can be very hurtful, when you work as hard as you do to do what you love & then hear opinions from some that have no idea what it takes and the behind the scenes that effect the total outcome, it does hurt! Yes, Kathy, you have been around it long enough to know there is not a profit to be made, but it too must be managed properly as with any business to ensure that it stays open, looks like THR is headed in that direction and I wish them the best. We understand they made what they felt to be a good business decision as to not book TSRS for this season.

My intention never was to hurt THR or any other racetrack, why would I want to do that, I devoted nearly three years of my life to THR. I was one of the ones that was so excited to see a new track come to the Austin area and still am. Do I wish TSRS had the opportunity to race there, certainly I do, the series has several local drivers and many from all over the state that come together to race where ever we can. Several people and I think I can include Jason in on this, simple by his post, think we took all the cars from THR (yes, this has been an issue beat to death on TSZ, I agree, Jason) but, what we did was take a group of cars from as far as Dallas, Ft Worth, San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi, Kerrville, Austin, and many other cities, brought them together to have the car count that we have. You cannot draw this many cars on an every Saturday night event, these cars cost too much to run (even if we continue to try to keep the cost down) tracks cannot afford to pay the purse that the series pays on an every Saturday night basis. When this series started, SAS had done away with this class, THR LLM car count was down from the previous years, CC & HMSP did not offer this type of class of cars. My thinking and in sharing this idea with Brian was that it would help THR. So, here we are once again, those of us that love this series, the incredible comarodory of the drivers and their teams, the fans (and yes, we do have many) the hard working staff and the tracks being in the middle of a lot of negativity, but, I must say once again, when it comes to racers being there for one another, here we all are! Yes, this is a GREAT website, very informative, how many of us would have even known about Shawn Paul's accident and the benefit tomorrow night, how about the the loss of many loved ones, without this website, but with that, I might add, some of the conflict with series and race tracks also comes from the negativity that gets out there as well, I am with racertx, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything, but if you have something informative or productive, as a lot of GREAT things have come about because of this website, as well. There are just a few people who think or rather write out load before thinking how hurtful and destructive words can be. With all of that, who would like to step up and get a great thing going again, with taking the NGR Kids club and going with it!?! If you do not know, it was the NGR Kids Club that raised the money to put the kids play ground in at Thunder Hill Raceway several years ago and have sold a many a programs for the tracks and 50/50 tickets to help the points fund for the drivers. Yes, I know that is not a possibility any longer (50/50 tickets) point is, it was and can still be a great organization at any and all tracks!

Hope to see each of you tomorrow night helping to insure a successful benefiit for Shawn Paul and his family!

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Naumann

Mary Ann,

Why some people want to continue to bash TSRS like they do is beside me, I do not bash TSZ, most of the time I am telling people how informative it is!

Why do people continue to bash a series or a track? They do because they think improvments can and should be made to that series or track. And now they have a forum in which to express their views.

Anyone in a leadership position in stock car racing is going to feel the heat at times. I have. Neil Upchurch has. Robert Mullins has. Wayne Norrell has. Brian Callaway has. Mike Sepich has. It all goes with the territory. If someone has an issue to discuss here on Texas Speed Zone, I do not (and will not) remove posts simply to protect the organization involved or the feelings of that organization's leadership. That's what this forum is for -- a place to discuss issues that involve stock car racing in Texas in a civil manner.

On the other hand, as you know, I do not permit personal bashes or rude or overly aggressive posts to remain on Texas Speed Zone.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nick Holt

I dont see what the big deal is about this whole thing? Yea TSRS had one bad race at Corpus SO WHAT it was their first time there and most of the guys hadnt even driven on that track before. Give it a chance. Maybe they will work the bugs out and maybe they wont. If they dont then you know how they truly work. Im not standing up for them but give em a chance.

Matt Banker

Mary Ann,

Just curious. You admit the THR LM count was hurting before. What did you think would happen by starting TSRS and taking a bunch of their cars even after it was already hurting?

Jason

Guest Mary Ann Naumann
Mary Ann, Just curious. You admit the THR LM count was hurting before. What did you think would happen by starting TSRS and taking a bunch of their cars even after it was already hurting? Jason
Well, Jason for one, bring more out of town cars to THR & any racetrack that we are scheduled at, cars that may have never raced @ a particular track, that it did! At our drivers meeting in Corpus Christi several weeks ago, only two drivers had ever driven at that track before that night, some had never even seen it!

No one can tell me when you have 32 cars come to any given track that the pit gate & the grandstands does not go up. Each car brings an average of 4 crew members plus the driver through the pit area, that is well seen by the teams standing beside their cars during driver introductions in team shirts. Take that car count X 5 = 160 X 25.00 (average pit pass) = 4,000.00 for one class, now, that minus the fee charged for the series being there, is a profit of 500.00 to the racetrack. That is not counting their personal family & fans that go into the grandstands. I am pretty certain that each have something to drink or eat while at a track. So, then we travel onto the next track, while another traveling series does the same @ that track. Say what you want, bringing 48 Dwarf cars to THR a couple of weeks ago, made the track additional money. Brian use to tell me when I worked @ THR, the touring series helped the track survive! So, like I said in my earlier post, where all of these cars come from is not from one town or track, it is from many all over Texas! Jason, I only wish the best for THR & all Texas Tracks!

Hope everyone comes out tonight to support Shawn Paul, now that's what is important!

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Naumann

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

May I add, that there are the following traveling series just here in Texas, ROMCO, TSRS, TPS, TAMS, Dwarfs, Legends & Arts Trucks (hope I did not forget one) that is seven, we all race at least once a month. There are four of the finest Texas Asphalt tracks, meaning each has the opportunity to have a different traveling series each week, bringing new cars & fans to their tracks, besides the local cars and fans that prefer to stay near home. There is room for all in this world of racing.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann
Mary Ann, you dodged my question. What did you think would happen to the THR LM count by you starting this series?
Duh! I didn't DODGE anything, although my husband does drive one in TAMS.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann
Ok you "stepped around" my question and wrote a report for why TSRS is good for tracks it races at. I asked something different.
Well, Jason for one, bring more out of town cars to THR & any racetrack that we are scheduled at, cars that may have never raced @ a particular track, that it did! At our drivers meeting in Corpus Christi several weeks ago, only two drivers had ever driven at that track before that night, some had never even seen it!

Worth repeating!

As was discussed early in January:

Jason the answer to your Question So (6+ teams just stopped racing at THR?)

Jeff Pollard

Brad Hudak

Mike Yale

Ian Webster

These four drivers would have stayed and raced Houston for a Trophy

if TSRS would not have started up this past year,they have all stated this

in several posts.

thats four.

Charlie Turner

thats five.

And Charles Buxton

Keep asking the same questions and you will get the same answers.

When THR's LM count was hurting, there were 10-12 cars racing each weekend...At least 5-6 of those cars alone were from out of town. When Mary Ann started TSRS, she encouraged drivers to race at their hometown tracks when they could...Jason have you ever been to THR?

When SAS cancelled their version of the TSRS/SSS that left 6-8 cars with nowhere to run and gave a few other racers the opp to move their instead of just going straight to SAS LM I.E. 00 Beau , David Edwards, Barker(previously ran LM) Fuller, Lyon, Riggs, Rienigar, Benker, Bean (preaviously ran LM) Wills (previously ran LM).. ect Im sure I am missing a few. If TSRS was not around these drivers would have had few options with the current cars they had... Maryann just gave them one more choice on where they wanted to run...You cant blame her for giving these same drivers an option on where THEY wanted to run. They could have gone to THR and run. But would have still had to do changes to run there + have to go out of thier way to race each week. Also where would the guys from Dallas/Ft. Worth run if TSRS wasnt there. I doubt they would be going to THR or Houston on a weekly basis. JMO

Marc

So you were going to put together a 4 car Houston Lim Latemodel class to run for a trophy?

Yes SAS dropped the class which was pure stupidity. But now it appears they are trying to get some of the cars back by allowing them to run in the LM class. I bet running for that big check at the end of the season is tempting.

I do find it interesting though that Mary Ann spent some time with a group trying to turn Longhorn into a dirt track which would have been competition for THR. After that failed she formed TSRS which is competition to THR for LM car count.

Anyways back to work I go.

Jason

I am reminded of a race we competed in at THR several years ago. I don’t recall the exact event but it was some “big” race, like the Big Shot or Spectacular. The race was particularly brutal, a lot of cars got torn up, including ours. Afterwards the pits were full of kids seeking autographs and I was leaning against the back of what remained of our car talking to a group of them and signing everything imaginable. Towards the rear of the crowd there was a little girl that couldn’t have been more than 4 or 5. Her view of the car must have been obstructed behind all those people because when it came her turn she handed me her little checkered flag but after seeing the car immediately snatched it back, turned away and muttered “that car is ugly.” She was right and we laughed about it for weeks afterwards. Many of the statements made on TSZ are equally as correct as what that little girl said and equally as naïve. Perspective is everything. jp

Jp, what you say is exactly the opposite of the truth. On the outside everything is all peachy. Take a look at the history and you will see there is more to this than any of us know. I wish I had a deep check book. I'd start a Super Stock class with cars from CC, THR, and SAS and race at those tracks and steal their cars. I bet Owen, Brian, and Mike would enjoy having my series as a guest. Wait then the tracks would go out of business because there arent any local classes so no continuous fan base. Oh well I bet Walmart would rent the parking lot out to us one night! We can race around light poles.

Archived