An open letter to our critics

SVCMNGR1

Over the past few days there have been several people on this board criticizing the touring series in which our team competes. While I would never dream of censoring anybody’s opinion, I feel that as with almost any other subject matter, you must examine the expertise of those giving their opinion. At first glance, 20 years of watching racing may seem to be adequate experience. Hosting a racing website may also seem to be adequate. I can’t possibly presume to speak for everybody in our series, but I would be willing to bet that there are allot of them with the same experiences that I am about to relate as reference to my expertise.

I started working on my daddy’s race car in1968.

Since that time, more than a couple of quarts of blood has been spilled one drop at a time on many a shop floor from busted knuckles or a piece of sharp metal.

Literally gallons of sweat have hit the same shop floors as I worked long into the night trying to get a car ready for the next race.

I am not ashamed to say that more than a couple of tears have hit those same floors over broken cars and broken dreams.

There have been countless missed or cold meals because I couldn’t break away from the work needing done to eat them.

There has been allot of peanut butter and hamburger helper eaten to insure that there was money for tires and fuel on Saturday night.

I have missed allot of parties and other social events to be at the races on Saturday with the rest of the crew.

I have gotten up at 4:00 in the morning to get the car loaded and hauled to the track hundreds of miles away when the gates opened at 11:00 and the race didn’t start until 9:00 that night..

I have chased the right set up for hours in 105-degree weather.

I have worked until 2-3 o’clock in the morning after work everyday for a week trying to put a wrecked car back together for the next race.

I have been up for over 24 hours at a time on race days and felt it for 3 days afterwards.

I have had broken ribs, burned hands, stitches, sore feet, dirt in the eyes and enough heartburn to kill a horse.

Ask anybody from any of the other crews if this sounds familiar.

I have done all of this willingly because I love the sport. I do it for me, I do it for the team. I do it to hear the cheer of the fans. There is nothing sweeter. The fans that appreciate the hard work, time and money put into these cars are priceless to our sport. They make it all worthwhile. I watched our driver sign close to 100 autographs last Saturday night. They obviously enjoyed the show.

It took allot of hard work and money to get those cars to the track from allot of people.

So you will have to excuse me if I seem to take offense at your calling MY race the worst you have ever seen or was a “Joke of a race” When you have a little more “experience” I may take your opinion more seriously. Until then, if you don’t have anything nice to say, stay out of our pits.

Just MY opinion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Dave, why don't you tell us how you really feel? LOL

I'm not sure which of your two groups I'm in. The website host or the old time racer who's been there and done that. Maybe I fit in both groups.

And even if someone doesn't fit in to either group, fits into one group or the other, or fits in both groups, that person still has the right to express his/her opinion here on TSZ as long as it doesn't violate the forum rules of civility and decorum.

Nick Holt

Well written. There is no doubt that racers work extremely hard. They do it for the love of the sport and not money. We all want the same thing, racing to get bigger and bigger. Something I have realized is that Mary Ann's TSRS is very similar to Tony George's IRL. In this case the tracks (mainly THR) can represent CART. When IRL was announced there was/is no room for two open wheel racing series in North America. The original idea was to have American drivers on American ovals. Well IRL certainly has strayed from its original goal. Why aren't drivers coming up from USAC to race in the IRL. This was supposed to be their big break. What happened? Why isn't Tony Stewart still in IRL. Why didn't JJ Yelley take the IRL path? Scott Hornish is about the only success story. Sarah Fisher is there to but she doesn't have the greatest equipment. Now the series is foreign drivers, with foreign manufacturers. Oh yeah wasn't the series supposed to be originally affordable? Now the costs have skyrocketed. It stems down to Tony George and his deep pockets trying to start a series which just about has killed open wheel racing. What is going to happen when/if he ever runs out of money? Cart on the other hand is just about broke. They are now OWRS but they have a HUGE fan base. They are second in attendance only to NASCAR. IRL's attendance is comparable to that of WoO. Hmm WoO can fill small dirt tracks. Wonder what that crowd looks like on a big grandstand that can seat 150,000? OWRS has its minimum 18 cars and it will rise from the ashes of CART. Will it be able to get open wheel racing the popularity it once had? Probably not. IRL has caused just too much damage to that. It all comes down to a power hungry Tony George trying to control everything. His pockets are deep but when/if that money runs out IRL will be no more. Moral is. Don't try to start a series when there isn't room for a series and it will only do more harm to the stability of racing than good.

OOPS, did I say that out loud? I hope it met your criteria. You can be in whichever group you like Nick, but I wasn't referring to you when I mentioned the website host. If I get banished from TSZ it was nice knowing y"all.

Dave,

You are in no danger of being banished.. I have only banished one person since I the site began. And this guy called me every name in the book and some that weren't even invented yet.. lol

I'm just trying to keep the peace.

Nick Holt

Guest texracer

Jason sounds like your saying there is no room for TSRS. When actually SAS KICKED US OUT, didnt want street stocks anymore, HMS doesnt have this class and neither does CC. so how can there not be room? The place it may hamper is THR. ALTHOUGH they still have a decent class of limited late models.There is plenty of room and a lot of other people must agree that shows by the car count.If I'm wrong in saying your post says thereis no room for TSRS then please accept my apoligy.

Ok,

People want to get their money's worth. There is room for TSRS, with a touring series comes a touring fan base. So when Romco, or TSRS, or TPS, or Dwarfs, or Legends come to THR.. money being pulled from other tracks and brought to THR, and when they are not at THR the $$ is going to other tracks. My career is about Operations, and how to grow revenue, and minimize Expenses. The same goal that a race team, Track owners, and Business men all have. We are moanin and groanin over some pretty stupid things. We need to be reaching out to the kids, die hard fans, and the newbee's and saying. Come see what we bring to your life. Kids have role models, Dreams, and these can be easily influenced. I read out here that someone sign'd 10's of autographs.. thats the kind of things we need.

THR used to have a kid's club.. where did it go??? Well it takes leaders to keep things going. If you don't like what's going on, you have the power to change it, use your voice, actions, and $$ to do so. Bring a new friend to the track. I have and they are hooked. My girlfriends entire family is hooked!!!! all because i shared the excitement!!!!

So please Lets all use this negitive energy for a positive use.. bring friends and promote OUR Sport!!! more fans means higher Point funds, more incentive for new sponsors ..

Brian, Jim, Nick, Chuck.. the list goes on have made huge strides in the off season to make things better for fans.. now lets fill those seats so they have to put more in!!!!!...

Peace.. Aaron

abrungot, You make some very good points. At the THR Romco race, they got so behind schedule, they could not do out of car introductions. How are you supposed to build a driver/fan connection like that?

Guys, they got behind schedule because there were 5 dwarfs heats that seemed to have gone on forever. There was a lenghty cleanup in one of those heats. There's not much the track could do about that. The dwarfs usually put on a good show, but 5 heats is just plain too many. My .02

cs

Chase-

You beat me to a post about the Dwarf cars. I don't know why they wanted to run so many heats, and I didn't know one of those little suckers held that much of any liquid, but they sure managed to mess up the track.

I'm not knocking them, it could happen to anybody. I agree, they usually put on a good show, running four wide in a crowd salute on the pace lap, then running four wide on the first three or four laps of the race.

I think the ROMCO red flags were to make it faster and safer to clean up than to provide more green flag racing, it just worked out that way.

Some nights are like that, but the opening night and the response to the new pavement bodes well for the season. See everybody on the 10th.

The reason they had 5 Dwarf heats was because they had 38 cars that wanted to race that night.

So, then they had to have a B-Main. And then an A-Main.

And it's a good thing, cause I sure didn't want to have to try and score 38 Dwarfs.

LOL

Those little cars are a booger to score.

But, they are fun to watch.

Now, if I could just find a way and just get to watch. :D

Jason

For someone that has no money in a race car and never has been involved in CART or IRL or as a promoter or worked on a professional race team where do you get your information. You are way off base if you are going to try to ruin a touring series[ TSRS] that there is a need for because there is only one track that runs these type of cars, and it in the last 6 or 8 yrs that this track has been opened it hasn't proven to be that well run and profitable.Your bashing a series that is well run and was formed buy the racers Mary Ann was asked by racers that had know place to run except THR. Im tired of a bench racer bad mouthing something that you have know experience in except being a bleacher rat. The other thing if your going to tell anyone about anything you ought to get your information correct and not what you think.

What information is incorrect? Anyways I am done with these TSRS threads. Ya'll know my stance and I am as hard headed as a brickn so not much could change this (it could change if THR were to recover and I went to a noncaution filled TSRS race). As a "bench rat" get it right its "bleacher monkey" I guess I know nothing and need to get some glasses. I guess the rest of the crowd at CCMS who thought the race sucked are "bleacher monkeys" too. Cool.

Jason

supertx,

Everyone, including Jason, can use this forum to express their ideas, offer suggestions discuss racing issues, etc., as long as their posts meet our guidelines.

Jason was not bashing anyone. He was simply expressing his views on a very sensitive subject that has been discussed for almost two years here on TSZ.

You, on the other hand, launched a personal attack on Jason. Don't you see the difference?

You may not like what fans have to say. You may not like what Jason has to say. And you may not like what people with zero racing experience have to say. But they have just as much right to their opinions as you do.

Please refrain from bashing individuals here on Texas Speed Zone

Thanks for your cooperation.

Nick Holt

Racing is good and the racing in TSRS is good.I race and I am also a race fan I have seen several TSRS races and a couple of the have not had much racing and a lot of yellow flag laps.I was not at CC Speedway last week but I think what everyone is upset about is the number of yellow flag laps they want to see you guys race I dont feel anyone is atttacking the racers but just the cautions laps. Maybe TSRS can have a set number of laps lets say 5, if a caution goes over 5 laps then they red flag the race so there will be more green flag racing.You guys are great and we want to see you race I think if you ask the teams and drivers they would agree, so lets race.Please take this post positively it the way it is intended

Hey Racerjim2,

You might want to go edit your post. I don't think you want to call the TSRS racers GAYS. LOL

And supertx you seemed to bashing THR. Why?

It is a well organized track, so why are you saying that it is not. We have some of the finest officials working there. Me, being one of them Thank You very much.

Brian may not be making a profit, but do you really think Mary Ann is?

Not trying to bash her at all by saying that. Just think about what you are saying. If everyone was getting rich doing that there would tracks and series popping up all over the place.

I think Brian does it for the very same reason Mary Ann does it. It is because of their love for racing.

Kathy

I am not bashing Brian I was just stating a fact THR has been on the edge of

being bankrupt for the last several years but [THR] expect people to spend alot of money to build cars this type of car [TSRS] for the only track that runs this type of car on a weekly show..We all hope that THR has a great yr and every thing turns around for the track but what if it doesn't now you have a lot of money spent on race cars and no where to race which in turns does not bring new people to the sport or your track. Kathy you are right the officals do a good job and you have been very loyal to THR and have done a very good job this was not bashing aganist anyone personelly except Janson and i shouldn't have done that but for someone who has no stake in racing besides being a fan he sure has a way of pissing people off sorry Jason

for someone who has no stake in racing besides being a fan he sure has a way of pissing people off sorry Jason

supertx,

I think it's tough to say Jason has no stake in racing. He may not drive, own, or crew a car, but wouldn't you agree that this site, which is dedicated to local racing in Texas, must be every bit as time consuming as any of the above. If he didn't have a stake in local stock car racing, this discussion would most likely not be taking place, at least not on this board.

Just thought that was worth pointing out.

cs

Sometimes the bickering and bashing can really go a little too far....it's frustating to the point of making me want to give up racing but I haven't given up the hope that some day that the tracks and series alike will prosper and get along....(Yeah I'm talking about THR and TSRS )

Thanks Kathy was not TSRS bashing just a slip of the finger.LOL

Still cant belive I did that.lmao

Where is Nick to edit those post when you need him?

Archived