FIRE EQUIIPMENT

txhotmod

Nick get your EDIT button ready....I'm fixinta explode!!!!!

There are those of us that HAVE talked to people in charge already after they quit having a fire truck last year. If that prompted the "upgrade" for this year.....I'd say the job was half done. In fairness I was glad to see something different than a few fire extinguishers in the back of an SUV and a crew in full turn out gear. But still FAR short of what's needed, especially for an alcohol fire.

Then this past weekend I questioned a race winning driver(who knows who he is) about not having racing gloves on. Said he couldn't drive with them on. So I asked him how he would drive without any hands and basically got laughed off.

If some of you feel safe with this.....I'm sorry for you.

Paul, I hope this doesn't re-open wounds for you, but maybe this needs said.

How many of you have been within 20' of car engulfed in flames, KNOWING the driver was still inside? How many of you have had to witness a father trying to drag his son's badly burned body out of a racecar? How many of you had to sit there with the smell of burnt flesh hanging in the air? How many have ever got that 'sick to your stomach' feeling, knowing you had just watched a young boy burn to death? How many of you have woke up in the middle of the night, soaked with sweat, having nightmares of the event, as I did for months afterwards......and NOT A RACE goes by that I don't think about it either, especially during a rollover or fire.

Those of us that were there can relate......

I sure don't want to have any of my extended racing family/friends go through any of this!!!!! And I DAMNED sure don't want to lose any of you!!!!

Some of us even remember back about 2004 when Alamo Dragway had a driver burn to death, due to LACK of proper safety equipment. Appearantly they thought 2-20# Kidde extinguishers in the ambulance was sufficient.(the pictures told that story) If so, why was the race at SAS stopped to summon all of its safety personel to the drag strip?

It is NOT the responsibility of drivers or fans to provide proper fire/safety crews for a race track. MANY tracks swap out the fire/ambulance crew for FREE admission and concessions. Why can some tracks do it and others can't? As far as $200 a race night goes......so what, how does that stack up versus a potential multi-million dollar lawsuit???

Drivers are responsible for thier own safety gear....even though there are still some knuckleheads out there racing that are not properly equipped. Why isn't there better safety tech at tracks? Now again in fairness I did see they were making people, without them, add a flapper valve on their fuel cell. KUDOS for that!!!

Someone asked about IMCA.....

IMCA REQUIRES all drivers, in all classes, to have full suit, gloves, shoes, neck brace/restraint, window net/arm restraints, fuel cell valves, fire extinguisher/suppresion system onboard....and whatever else I'm leaving out. Guys this a freaking no-brainer!!! As far as TRACK safety requirements, I'm not that sure, so I won't speculate. The only thing I'm of is Insurance and safety crews(of some type.) I check with my IMCA contacts and get back to you.

Crewmember 89/Paul, As you know, Greg and Candace provided/sponsored the fire truck opening night, and with some help from others, this past weekend. The first half of last year they a fire truck at the track, but quit that towards the end of the year. The benefit of the doubt is, the aforementioned pick up truck with 2-55 gallon drums and a small pump.

Despite any possible legal ramifications, I'm going to post a story I wrote on safety in 2004.....It has some very specific information from people that are more experienced in fire safety/track needs.

I guess it's up to YOU ALL to decide what should be done.....and HOW MUCH YOUR LIFE IS WORTH!!!

So, texhotmod, have we answered your question? :lol: Aztec Speedway doesn't race until the truck is there, professionally staffed ambulance is 1.5 mi away and is on-site for the major events. Now if I can just get the drivers/pit crews to have extinguishers out and handy......

Ok I have two questions for you guys:

At several tracks asphalt and dirt I have seen guys get in for practice with no safety equipment at the track. I have seen a guy put on a jacket, helmet and even his hans device while his gloves, pants, and shoes all sat on the trailer. Believe it or not the fire is as hot in practice as it is during a race or even in the pits. I will not put my cars on the track until there is a ambulance and fire truck ready, I hope you guys do the same.

The other question is this. I have a two layer suit, hans, new helmet, high freakin dollar gloves and shoes, oakley carbonx baclava, ls shirt, pants, socks and a 3 nozzle fire system. Aircraft style fuel cap and sever checkvavles. My thought is if I prepare the car as if there was not even a fire extinguisher at the track I would still have a chance. So what else is out there equipment wise that a person can do?

Here's one for ya Mac.....preparedness....

How fast can you GET OUT of your racecar in case of fire? Ever practice that? Not many of the people I ask give a definitive answer to that one!!! Coming around soon will even be a rollover simulator.....though I understand there are versions around the country already.

Nomex underwear?

Paul....mile and a half away???? Scarey!!! What if they're out on a call?

Here's one for ya Mac.....preparedness....

How fast can you GET OUT of your racecar in case of fire? Ever practice that? Not many of the people I ask give a definitive answer to that one!!! Coming around soon will even be a rollover simulator.....though I understand there are versions around the country already.

Nomex underwear?

Paul....mile and a half away???? Scarey!!! What if they're out on a call?

I will give you your first definitive answer :P I made the floor pan two inches deeper (plated it with steel plate as well) because I felt like I could not get out fast enough and I was two high in the car, made the window opening wider and taller in the car as well. I have carbonx underwear top to bottom. I know a little something bout' that rollover cage too! :D

Paul means that they are stationed 1.5 miles from the track. I am jealous paul only live 6 miles from the track <_<

i am a pretty small guy, 5'6" and 150lbs, i can get in and out of the car pretty quick, i have watched guys take what seemed like forever to get in the car and have wondered if the car was on its roof, how much slower would it be. don't know what to do about it, just an observation.

Point taken, Reb. Our fire response team has extrication gear and first responder level training, and realistically I would want them on the site ahead of any EMS. But, if EMS is out on a call......I'm gonna have to work on that! Thanks.

Mac, get off the computer and finish that dang trailer, or those cars, or something!!!! :lol:

Archived