Drivers NEED and MUST HAVE safe conditons to race

Big Al

I did not know Ryan

BUT

I was probably the last guy to tap on Ryans roof just before he pull

out on the track that day---minutes later he was gone

His thumbs up to me ----I WILL REMEMBER FOREVER

$200 is the cost, that's all...

We got a few drivers to donate last week and helped pay for $85.00 of it. We as drivers and car owners do need to take a look and see we need a firetruck always.

Or a proven tried and true 'Fire Plan of Action' not 'this should work?"

What is $200 dollars? We ask ourselves why?

Those that race there need to come up with a business plan for the fire truck.

Big al--You are RIGHT.

post-3-1239933899.jpg

We'll never see a video of how Ryan wrecked, although many like Big Al and Greg will carry the visual memory of the results. I wish you folks didn't have that burden to carry, and it pisses me off beyond all reason that any track operator would not be totally involved and on board with a safety crew. It absolutely defies my imagination that ANYONE involved in track operation would not have this in the top 3 of all priorities. I'm not naive, so I wonder if this is realistic:

#1. Make money

#2. Make good dirt

#3. Keep my people safe

Does that work? Is that a plan?

We'll never see a video of how Ryan wrecked, although many like Big Al and Greg will carry the visual memory of the results. I wish you folks didn't have that burden to carry, and it pisses me off beyond all reason that any track operator would not be totally involved and on board with a safety crew. It absolutely defies my imagination that ANYONE involved in track operation would not have this in the top 3 of all priorities. I'm not naive, so I wonder if this is realistic:

#1. Make money

#2. Make good dirt

#3. Keep my people safe

Does that work? Is that a plan?

I WILL PAY FOR HALF THE CREW IF WE CAN GET EVERY ONE ELSE TO KICK IN THE OTHER $100.00. It cost me tank and a half of fuel to get there and back. $90.00. 10 gallons of 108 fuel $60.00, entry into pits for me plus one $65.00, any problems with the car, lets say an average of $200.00 per week, some weeks 0, three weeks ago a new engine. So when you add that up it cost me $415.00 per night to race, we race two nights a week...$800.00.

Now tell my wife and kids i am gone because i could spend that kind of money but not raise $200.00, don't think so. ten people $10.00 makes it

Since when has it been the drivers responsibility to pay for/supply the fire crew? From what I understand it is their responsibility to buy fire suit, gloves, helmet, fire extinguishers, fire suppressions systems ect... Keep up the good work I-37 drivers!!!!!

i am surprised that the insurance agency doesnt require a fire and an ambulance at the track at all racing events. seems if they are putting up the money to cover the track, it would want to make sure they wont have to pay out any more then they have to. how many drivers and fans show up at i-37 on a race night. average. seems like they could maybe add a buck to the ticket price and maybe a little to the concession price to raise $200. im sure most people wouldnt mind paying an extra $0.50 for a drink or an extra buck for a burger if they knew the money was going toward the drivers safety.

Since when has it been the drivers responsibility to pay for/supply the fire crew? From what I understand it is their responsibility to buy fire suit, gloves, helmet, fire extinguishers, fire suppressions systems ect... Keep up the good work I-37 drivers!!!!!

I don't think it is our responsibility to pay for the crew, but if that is what it takes to make every one safe so be it. Hopefully in a little while the fan count goes up and the track can afford to get a crew on their own. I know i am new here and there is a lot of history, not worried about that just being safe. 15 years ago we raced in tank tops and jeans, would not think of that now. I have been very blessed and if my little $ helps keep every one safe, great. I bet Paul would have kicked in way more than $100.00 in New Mexico a while back had he known the outcome. :(

Correct me if i am wrong but i haven't seen where the track has said that they would not have a fire crew and that they needed the drivers to pay for anything. I have read where the fire crew was sponsored by a team for a given night. i have also not heard the track say that if that team didnt take care of the fire crew that there wouldnt be one. Maybe we should give the benefit of the doubt to the track that they are and will take care of this. i havent raced there very much but the times i have been there, there has been a crew, ambulance, and what not.

Correct me if i am wrong but i haven't seen where the track has said that they would not have a fire crew and that they needed the drivers to pay for anything. I have read where the fire crew was sponsored by a team for a given night. i have also not heard the track say that if that team didnt take care of the fire crew that there wouldnt be one. Maybe we should give the benefit of the doubt to the track that they are and will take care of this. i havent raced there very much but the times i have been there, there has been a crew, ambulance, and what not.

UR WELCOME ;) [edited out by Nick Holt, 4/15/09]

UR WELCOME wink.gif [edited out by Nick Holt, 4/15/09]

I asked on monday (i think) if they were going to have a crew(on this forum, i did not call) and got no answer, i think that means it is in the air at best, i would love to know, but would also like to know before pulling 2.5 hours down there to find out my benifit of the doubt costed me.

I'm caught in the middle of this one.

On one hand, fire safety is an issue that is near and dear to my heart. I am very hesitant to stifle a discussion about the need for professional firefighters and professional fire-fighting equipment at any and every racing venue. Watching friends die with no way to help save them tends to make one passionate about the subject.

On the other hand, berating a track in public is not what LSS is all about. At times some of these posts have been edited or deleted when I felt they were over the line - wherever that elusive line is. And I am catching a whole lot of behind the scenes flak over this thread from every angle...

With that said, I am deleting a few of the posts that were marginal attacks against a specific track and it's officials, but retaining the more general posts - even if they are very passionate in their tone.

Nick

89, you have a great point. (hear me out, greg)... Contact the track operator, give him a chance to get it done. Load your car and haul it to the track. If there's no EMS/fire crew, haul it back home. [edited out by Nick Holt, 4/15/09] Racetrack ownership can't be all that big a moneymaker, but it should be able to pay its bills, and as sm44 said, a few cents hike is better than the alternative.

DOUBLE EDGE SWORD SORRY U R IN THE SPOT NICK GOODLUCK WE R SORRY TO STIR IT UP WE JUST DONT WANT RYANS DEATH GOING OFF TO THE SIDE AS U FEEL THE SAME

Yes, I am passionate about track safety, especially fire safety. And I too believe that professional firefighters and professional fire fighting equipment should be present at any racing event. Period. But... well, you know the rest.

Nick

Important subject, Thanks Nick for letting the thread continue. Every track should take the time to evaluate the fire safety program. And yes SAS always had the parade of aid and if the ambulance or fire crew had to leave the races stopped.

And I appreciate the fact that finally, at long last, someone agrees with me about the equipment having to be at SAS before anybody took a hot lap. That rule was made long before I took over, but I sure as heck kept that one in force. Of course, the track caught a lot of flak over that rule, you can be sure.

But one night I watched in absolute horror as four or five of my friends sat in their cars after a big wreck down the front straight and became engulfed in a huge fireball. Thank God the professional firefighters were there. No one killed, but there were some severe burns, mostly from failure to wear gloves and full undies.

Nick

first i would like to think God that i am still alive today .my left leg has third dergre burns on about 16 inchs on it.my right leg has about half of what the left leg has .left hand has 2nd dergre burns and eye lid has some burn also . would like to thank all the people that helps us friday night at the track .mike joarden,brian and stacy russel,dale stevens and flamily and brimmer thanks guys . i am sure that i miss some people .one more thing for everone that reads this.if somthing good comes from it make sure that you have all your gear in good shape . trevor was wearing 2layer suit gloves,shoes and at the time of wreck it burn through has pants after about 20 seconds .so you dont have much time .again if any thing comes from all of this . check your gear and get more layers on you. there is nothing like being burn .we were lucky on friday night. thank you Russ Reed FROM ELBOWS UP THANK GOD HES GOING TO BE OK WANT TO SECOND GUESS IF THE YR GOING TO HAVE A TRUCK THERE OR NOT :(

I remember one night, not sure if it is the one you are referring to Nick. My son and I were sitting at the start of turn 1 on about the second row and thats where they came to a stop. You could feel the heat coming off the cars, I believe it was Mike Meeks, Beaver Stlezeg and don't recall the others. Mike was unable to get out right away and ended up with some burns. The fire crew was johnny on the spot.

Archived