Driveshaft vibrations/Tailhousing Bushing nightmares

abrungot

Ok. i am on my last racing nerve with this and right now car is parked till a fix it found.

vibration pulls the bushing/seal out of the back the tranny. (can see on yoke where bushing/yoke rub, but only rub on one side of yoke)

when i put the old driveshaft in that is too short, there is no vibration.

I have had 2 different driveshafts built, and 4 different times balanced (latest one from Scotty's all previous from Inland/Drivetrain) 3 seperate yokes (same model)

For the life of me i can't get rid of the vibration..

Any idea's?

Edited by abrungot

Ouch, this could be expensive....

If I had to guess without seeing the car, I'd almost say the angle of the engine/tranny to the reaend is off. Maybe not up/down as much as side to side... Or your yoke or output shaft is bent. They are only balancing the driveshaft correct?

again I'm guessing....

Ok. i am on my last racing nerver with this and right now car is parked till a fix it found.

vibration pulls the bushing/seal out of the back the tranny. (can see on yoke where bushing/yoke rub, but only rub on one side of yoke)

when i put the old driveshaft in that is too short, there is no vibration.

I have had 2 different driveshafts built, and 4 different times balanced (latest one from Scotty's all previous from Inland/Drivetrain) 3 seperate yokes (same model)

For the life of me i can't get rid of the vibration..

Any idea's?

Aaron, when the car is sitting at ride height, how much of the polished surface of the yoke is showing out of tailshaft?

I had a driveshaft built by one of the two you mentioned years ago. It was balanced at roughly 2500 RPM and was okay. The shaft was bent about .030 and would vibrate at racing speed(7200RPM). Found it with a dial indicator. Also make sure the u-joints fit the yokes correctly.

I was holding my tongue as I figured whomever checked it knew that it would be turning higher rpm's...

There is 1" exposed on the driveshaft at ride hight.

We can not replicate the vibration on jackstands.. has to be chassis loaded (Hard accel)

The driveshaft and motor are balanced.

this is the 2nd transmission, i have not checked the alignment of Motor/Tranny and rearend.. will do that in the next couple days.

We have had the problem with 2 bran new yokes.. never had this problem with the old one but it is to short only had 1.5" inside the tail.

Other diff old to new shaft is went from 3" tube to 3 1/2" tube.

So called inland & they want to look at it & rebalance it.. (Free of charge this time Finally after like $800 Spent on this!!)

Balancers only go to 3300 RPM.. I am going have the check the "straightness" of it.. like WW talked about.. also this change happened with a change from 3" tube to 3 1/2 so it may be something there..

Edited by abrungot

I dont know the source but my uncle sent this to me. This probably wont solve your problem......I hope. It is good for a laugh though

"She called her dealership and had her vehicle towed in for repairs. When asked what the problem was, she said, "the car had a sort of shimmy when driving at high speeds and then it just stopped running."

The gas tank had been punctured

post-1581-1240021200.jpg

post-1581-1240021397.jpg

post-1581-1240021455.jpg

After you spend all your money on high speed balancing, checking the angles, and everything else everyone says will fix it, Get a longer yoke and run the shorter shaft, under load it pulls the yoke almost all the way out of the bushing and here comes the seal, if it gets bad enough it will break the tail housing off. Try it you'll like the results

• 2 weeks later...

Big A, You sound a bit stressed.

Try what I do.

Turn on your sound. Put your headphones on. Sit back, relax, let your shoulders fall. Close your eyes. Breath slowly and deeply. Then listen to this ..........................

Racing or not, you were missed Saturday night.

I think you SHOULD go visit your mom. Take some time. Think about what YOU want to do (Not what someone tells you you want to do.) Then reevaluate. Make your decisions, then press onward. :)

Aaron,

Are you sure you didn't mount that engine in there Kaddywaumpas? :D

If I had to guess without seeing the car, I'd almost say the angle of the engine/tranny to the reaend is off. Maybe not up/down as much as side to side... Or your yoke or output shaft is bent. They are only balancing the driveshaft correct?

again I'm guessing....

Thought I had read that somewhere!