Help with track purses.

Definitive

On another thread,I saw where Nick halted a purse discussion with the suggestion that the concerned party come up with some more $$$ to help with the pusre structure.

If there was ever a way of physically seeing that the money was going directly to the purse would any other fans pay more for their ticket.

Hypothetically:

--if 1,000 fans at THR voluntarilly paid $20 instead of $10 to get in,it would create $10,000 to divide evenly between the classes.

--it seems like $2,000 per class on a five class night would make a difference

--20 cars means an extra $100 per car

--would that help the racers with the tire or fuel bill?

--would it be better to have it accumulate...all season long...in a bank account collecting interest...then evenly distributed amoungst the racers that have run a minimal number of races

I am,of course,just throwing ideas out there to think about.You don't have to tell me how dumb I am.After thinking about this,I see how unrealistic it probably is.Some of us fans just don't have the time or money to help the sport in a big enough way to make an immediate impact but,maybe a little at a time,event per event,we could help things.

Just looking for constructive opinions...or maybe better ideas.Maybe we can stumble across something that THR can grab up and run with.

No, Nick did not halt that thread. That thread halted itself.. LOL

Track/Series Sponsors are indeed an excellent source of purse money above and beyond what a track is able to budget. I'm sure that every track/series promoter in the state would love to ad to their purse structure using money provided by interested parties such as marketing partners.

Look at it this way. If the choice is between closing the track because there's no money to pay the lights, or paying a more modest purse and staying open, which do you think a reasonable choice would be?

Yes, we always get back to the good old "chicken or egg" debate whenever purse structure, admission prices, registration fees, etc. are discussed. There is no clear winner in these discussions but they sure are fun!

Nick

If I knew the money was being brought straight back to the pit area and given to the drivers I would add to the jars....

Then have at it! After the races there is no charge to enter the pits. Walk up to a driver and stuff his hand full of cash!

Nick

There is no law that says you have to tip your server in a restaurant....it's just a tradition.

How in the world can the racers make it a tradition to get tipped for an awesome show?

---a start might be the announcers

--accessability would be another issue...more than just going into the pits after the races.

There are a lot of nights when I hear everyone saying they got more than their monies worth.

Not exactly on topic but....when I lived in Midland, there was an AA affiliate of the California Angels. It was a great little stadium and they would draw 1500 to 3000 people per game. The local tradition was that if an Angel player hit a game changing home run (or even better, a bottom of the ninth walkoff) many of the fans would hold up a dollar. The beer guys/girls would collect them and pay the home run hitter.

In the bottom of the ninth, you would see some of the most VICIOUS cuts imaginable....they made a whooooosing sound. I saw more than one guy miss , spin around on heel's and fall down like a kid's cartoon. :lol:

I have seen it pay 50% of the announced crowd.

That was good money for player's that were still "thousand-aires"

just fyi

Jay

I don't know what the answere is.You can't blame the economy cause it just went south in the last couple of years.The one thing I do know is that a win pays the same or in some cases less money than it did in 1989.EVERYTHING cost alot more than it did in 1989!!!!!!Do the math!!!!!!!

Definitive... I don't think its the winner that needs the help.. its the people outside the top 5 that need help..

and Helping the bottom helps the track in Pit passes & Grandstands.. (Friends/Family/Crew)

Because its close to home and not to call out THR.. using my experience with the Thunderstocks.

Weekly Cost's

Pit Pass for 3 - $75

Car Fuel - $78

Haul Fuel - $40

1 tire a week - $125

Just to get to the track and race = $318

Purse pays

$250 Feature, 20 Heat = $270 to win both.

5th Feature, Pays $65

I don't know what the answere is.You can't blame the economy cause it just went south in the last couple of years.The one thing I do know is that a win pays the same or in some cases less money than it did in 1989.EVERYTHING cost alot more than it did in 1989!!!!!!Do the math!!!!!!!

In 1998, $250.00 from 2008 is worth: $189.27 So we are making 62 bucks less to win a race..

Some good ideas here. Most drivers I know would be too modest to accept a tip after the races in the pits on race night. I'm thinking I'll just bring along five extra 5's each night and some of those yellow "Post IT" sticky note pads and stick a five on the seat of five race cars I choose each night. I would not tip the same driver/car two shows in a row.

Any more or better suggestions out there? :)

I'm sure we'd like to hear them.

In 1998, $250.00 from 2008 is worth: $189.27 So we are making 62 bucks less to win a race..

I said 1989,add another 9 years to your equation!!!!

Everyone save your old coffee cans..paint them...add the car #......give it to the team. They can put it on top of the car after the races or at car shows, etc. It wont bring in BIG money but every little bit helps.

P.S.

Put a few dollars in it before you give it to them.

It's been a long, long time ago, so maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking a super-modified win paid $350 at Speed-o-rama back in the early '60's for a weekly event. Of course back then, the stands were packed solid each week.

Your not wrong,you just made my point!!!!Just seems the purses would have came up a little over the last 25 to 30 yrs!!!!!.

I said 1989,add another 9 years to your equation!!!!

$143.98

How in the world can the racers make it a tradition to get tipped for an awesome show?

---a start might be the announcers

--accessability would be another issue...more than just going into the pits after the races.

There are a lot of nights when I hear everyone saying they got more than their monies worth.

We tell everyone that will listen to spend some more of their hard earned money. We ask them to support the sponsors that support racing, we ask them to buy concessions, beer, kid's club memberships, videos, t-shirts, programs and just about everything else we can.

the most important part and the biggest tip of them all is to get them to come back the next week and bring some one new if they had a good time.

There is an unlisted rule about tipping some one after a race if they like what they saw. it is called sponsorship.

I don't have my race cars any more because they were just to expensive to finish. (Yes I had a modified chassis and a old pure stock at one point) but every other HOBBY I have ever tried was expensive too. The guns for hunting cost to much, the fishing rods and boats cost to much, the RC cars are way over priced. Any hobby that anyone every participates in are way to expensive. That is why the people that make a living from their hobbies are called professionals.

Seems like every year at the start of the season we always have this discussion about racing being to expensive, then at the end of the season we seem to have the talk about every thing that we should be changing. Oh wait that is another topic.

Ive seen some of the purses my uncle won in the 60's and 70's aroud here and the grand national series. Local racing hasnt changed much but the big time sure did. But I think alot of it has to do with what we(local racers and spectators) dont see. Some one find out what insurance cost, land tax, every weekend expences, gas, tires were at pan american speedway in 1971. The track or its rep bought tires and gas to sell at the track just like they do today. So what might the cost of "running" the track be? Now compare that to what THR, HMP, RRS, CCS spent this past year. The purses may not of changed a bunch over the years but I bet the city and county folks have done what they could to increase their piece of the stock car racing pie. San Antonio is a prime example of the direct effect of politics and racing.

Ive seen some of the purses my uncle won in the 60's and 70's aroud here and the grand national series. Local racing hasnt changed much but the big time sure did. But I think alot of it has to do with what we(local racers and spectators) dont see. Some one find out what insurance cost, land tax, every weekend expences, gas, tires were at pan american speedway in 1971. The track or its rep bought tires and gas to sell at the track just like they do today. So what might the cost of "running" the track be? Now compare that to what THR, HMP, RRS, CCS spent this past year. The purses may not of changed a bunch over the years but I bet the city and county folks have done what they could to increase their piece of the stock car racing pie. San Antonio is a prime example of the direct effect of politics and racing.

I don't think it's a track management thing cause the purses all over the U.S. have pretty much stayed the same through the years.The big money races are not even that much more.

I don't think it's a track management thing cause the purses all over the U.S. have pretty much stayed the same through the years.The big money races are not even that much more.

Maybe you misunderstood me, its not track management. Its the cost of running a racetrack has risen more than the ability to pay a bigger purse. If the cost of racing in say 1975 was 5 to 1. Than now its probably 25 or 30 to 1. The one differance that we the racer have control of is the cost of racing. In 1975, $300.00 to win went a hell of alot farther for the top class than it does today. But we keep spending more and more to be the top car but the purse will never catch up to our spending.

Archived