Hood Ornaments

Budman

Hey, I don't think this forum has to be all about racing all of the time. I think most folks who have an interest in racing also have a general interest in most things automotive.

I was in town a few days ago and snapped a couple of pics. This is one of the most unique hood ornaments I've seen in a long, long time. Remember when cars had them? Remember when if you did have one, you didn't have to worry about it being stolen or vandalized?

I looked at this pic tonight and said "Heck, l'll start a thread on hood ornaments and see what happens." :)

(A '49 Packard)

post-1274-1232767356.jpg

I miss the old hood ornaments....The big Ram on the Dodge, the Packard hood ornament,etc...there was something that evoked emotion when you saw them. My grandmother had a 1953 Ford anniversary edition car. It had a sweeping airplane type ornament with wings and no tail. It always made me think that it was pulling the car. It evoked the sense of power and grace. It's too bad that hood ornaments have gone the way of dinosaur.

My personal favorite was the 1951 pontiac with the lighted indian... My next door neighbor had one when I was seven years old. Thought it was really cool when he turned the lights on and the indian lit up...

post-3-1232828591.jpg

Nick

My personal favorite was the 1951 pontiac with the lighted indian... My next door neighbor had one when I was seven years old. Thought it was really cool when he turned the lights on and the indian lit up...

Nick

Now THAT is a true American Classic!! I never saw one of those, but now I wish I could. That's too cool! On that same vein, there was an aftermarket Dodge Ram hood ornament for the 70's to early 90's Rams that the eyes lighted up in the Ram's head. Always wanted one of those!

Talking about Hood ornaments I remember in the late 70's there was a guy that helped on my Dads car named John Hardin he had a ford truck with a Mack bulldog it had Red eyes and he would tell people the eyes lit up but you had to cup your hands around the dogs head and get real close to see them light up. He had his windshield washer hose ran up between its legs and it would pee on ya LMAO!!!!!!

Archived