TRACK SMACK QUESTION OF THE WEEK

Dawn

You guys have my curiosity peeked!!! ha ha

So this week I wanna know...

Two things...

Who were or has had the GREATEST RIVALRIES in RACING...and it does not have to be just circle tracks...

Question 2

What is the GREATEST MOMENT IN RACING HISTORY...

I mean this seriously, as someone who either one, was not alive, and two, did not follow "BACK IN THE DAY" I truly do LOVE to hear about the PASSION and HISTORY of Racing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE STORIES...

Please share as many as you would like and also feel free to call in on Saturday and share as well...

I will try and read as many as I can ON THE AIR!!!

Thank you guys... :D

DARE I <_< .........oh what the hell...... no huevo's, no nino's :o

#1. Yarborough/Allisons....on track and off.

#2. Alan Kulwicki winning the 92 championship....having watched guys like him, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Ted Mugrave, Ken Schrader, Dick Trickle, Jim Sauter(Sauter boys dad) and a couple others who escape me right now come up through the ranks of ASA/short tracks.....I always stuck with them throughout their NA$CAR careers. Mark and Alan have remained as humble as thier past....As I mentioned before Alan was and probably will always be the last TRUE INDEPENDENT CHAMPION....it's sad he never got to fully live the dream.... :(

#2a. Petty's 200th victory with Pres. Reagan on hand....

Regarding 2a Reb.................... Just exactly how did they know precisely which race to "INVITE" the president to in order for him to witness the 200th win? I mean, golly-gee-wizz, there were 42 other cars/drivers/teams that started that race that day, any one of whom could have won that race, right?

Very puzzling, huh? :P

Earnhardt winning the Daytone 500.Even the people that hated him lined up on pit road to high five him.I'm sure it stands as the long it took anyone to get to the winner's circle.

My favorite rivalry was Petty and Pearson.For one thing it always remained on the track.Petty was at every race in his high dollar factory ride while Pearson would show up once in awhile.Whenever Pearson showed up the rest threw down their shop rags on handed him the trophy(mentally).Can you imagine watching Petty win 2,3,4 races in a row and saying to yourself...where is the silver fox when you need him?...lolThen he shows up,runs mid pack all race,adjusts the car,then takes off and zooms by everyone.That must have been very defeating for everyone including Petty.

When you think there will be a modern day rivalry,it gets squelched by NASCAR.

The only on-track rivalries,if you have noticed,are amongst teamates.Watch the behind the scenes stuff and how they talk(or lack of talking)about each other.

I may be wrong Budman,probably,but I heard it was an inflight change of plans to go to the race,because of how Petty was running....or it really was a coincidence....but.... B)

My pick for the best rivalrie would have to be the Richard Petty and Bobby Allison rivalrie back in the late 60's and early 70's. They really went at each other and it was fierce for a number of years................As for the greatest moment in racing I would have to say the death of Dale Earnhardt at Daytona. Who would have ever believed something like this would have ever happened?..........This is what really speeded up NASCAR's quest to make these race cars safer than ever. They also started making all of the drivers wear the Hans Device which has saved no telling how many lives since the death of Earnhardt. If Earnhardt had been wearing a Hans he might still be alive today. Who knows.

Force and Bernstein in funny car. I used to love Force talking about Kenny and that red beer car!

Greatest moment for me.....Dale Earnhardt winning the 98 Daytona 500....my wife was even srceaming, my neighbor's probably didn't know what was happining in my house, but I bet they wondered.

Edited by GUNDOG99

I would have to say that in my opinion the greatest moments in motorsport history would be a tie.

Allison's/Yarborough fight in Daytona

AJ Foyt in Indianopolis when he gets out of the car and starts fighting with the crewchief

Terry Labonte/Dale Earnhardt at Bristol back in 95? when Earnhardt spun out Labonte twice. Only time I can ever remember when Earnhardt got booed in the modern era.

I would have to say that in my opinion the greatest moments in motorsport history would be a tie.

AJ Foyt in Indianopolis when he gets out of the car and starts fighting with the crewchief

Terry Labonte/Dale Earnhardt at Bristol back in 95? when Earnhardt spun out Labonte twice. Only time I can ever remember when Earnhardt got booed in the modern era.

You must not have went to any races in 1990!!!!!I almost got into some fights at Taladega because of my #3 t-shirt.It seemed like EVERYONE hated the man except a few loyal fans.

About the 3 and 5 deal at Bristol, I bought my wife a new car about a week after that. When we got the license plate's for it...they read 3GM-KO5, thought that was funny.

One special moment for me was when Bill Elliot won the first million dollars bonus.Remember he had to win 3 of 4 special races to do that.Remember Yarbroro beating him until his power steering gave out.When Cayle smoked up the track it looked like easy sailing for Bill but then for the restart he was on Bills back bumper again.Bill did win and that was the beginning of big purses.I saw that car at Bills museum.It had a Cleavland engine.Bill was super fast and that was before the cookie cutter cars.I also remember when he unlapped himself over 2 laps at Tallagada without a caution.

On a sadded note I saw on TV when Bills RR tire changer was run over by Ricky Rudd on a pit stop.That was what started pit road speeds.

The biggest rivalerys I know of were the VWs verses Fords and that battle is still raging.It began with the air colled beetles vs pintos and today its Scirrocos and Rabbits vs Mustangs.But now the Neons want to play too.I have been involved with this rivalery for over 20 years and sometimes it gets pretty serious.Racing passion is not a V8 exclusive.

bobby allison winning the daytona 500 with davey on his a-- for 2nd.

earnhardt dying changed the sport , changed alot of people. i can still remember that afternoon. me and my brother were watching it when it happened. the race ended and i thought cool for waltrip,,,,,,donnie meredith was dropping a car off so i went out to open the shop. 5 minutes later my brother came out very shaken saying they just announced earnhardt died! in me and colt's world that was life altering.i had become a fan the last 2 years of his career...in 99 i never would have thought i'd say this, but my interest in nascar for the most part died with him.....i wouldn't call it a "greatest moment" but the most defining. 50 years from now people will still be discussing in boards like this.

SEING RICHARD PETTY.S EYE.S AS HE MADE HIS LAST LAP IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS ..IN HIS WRECKED CAR AT THAT ....THE LOOK ON DALES. EYES WHEN HE HAD TO STEP OUT OF HIS CAR .... I WAS NOT WHAT YOU WOULD CALL A DALE FAN ..FAR FAR FROM IT ..BUT I WAS AS EXCITED AS ANYONE WHEN HE WON THE DAYTONA ....KNOWING HOW HARD IT IS JUST TO WIN ON THE LOCAL LEVEL .........

Earnhardt's win at Daytona was definitely a great moment. Having won 34 races overall at the storied track, including 10 qualifying races in a row! and then to be thought of as the guy who couldnt win at Daytona. Finally pulling it off was something I will always remember. ( 10 qualifying wins in a row pretty much summed up his ability at the track for me)

Edited by champ1796