TMS Media Day Hi-lites

Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a scam at work to be able to attend this year, but here are the hi-lites from the TMS PR Dept. Maybe Chuckie or BMSChick can give us their views on the meeting.

Texas Motor Speedway Media Relations, (817) 215-8520

Brian Briscoe

-- For Immediate Release

BENEFITS TO FANS REVEALED DURING 'STATE OF THE SPEEDWAY' ADDRESS

FORT WORTH-DALLAS (January 28, 2004) – Texas Motor Speedway today announced a variety of ventures including new official stations and a new sponsor for 2004 and beyond. The announcements were made by speedway general manager Eddie Gossage at the speedway’s annual Media Day event.

Addressing the media during the day-long sessions were Speedway Motorsports, Inc. Chairman Bruton Smith, Team Enzyte NASCAR Busch Series owner Michael Holigan and driver David Starr who will also drive the Spears Motorsports Silverado on the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series; Indianapolis 500 winner Gil de Ferran, Nextel Communications' Michael Robichaud, Jill Gregory and Mike Mooney revealing plans for the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup season and NEXTEL Cup Series driver Jimmy Spencer.

NOW HEAR THIS -- Clear Channel Communications will begin a three-year partnership with the speedway as the “Official Radio Station” group for the 2004 season and beyond. Clear Channel stations 97.1 KEGL “The Eagle,” classic rock station 92.5 KZPS and FOX Sports 1190 AM will share duties as “Official Station” for the speedway. “The Eagle” will broadcast all race events at Texas Motor Speedway with “The Eagle” and KZPS also carrying other programming throughout the year relating to races and other events at the speedway. FOX Sports 1190 AM will carry all NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race broadcasts.

QUALIFYING COUNTRY - Country station 96.3 KSCS-FM will return as sponsor of the June 10 KSCS Qualifying Night for the June 12 Bombardier 500k Indy Racing League IndyCar event and June 11 O’Reilly 400k NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race. KSCS and sister station 96.7 “The Twister” will also serve as official country stations for the speedway.

GET ON THE BUS – For the first time since the speedway opened in 1997, fans will be able to utilize bus service to the speedway for the April 3 O’Reilly 300 NASCAR Busch Series race and the April 4 Samsung/RadioShack 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race. The “Victory Lane Express” will be operated by the Fort Worth Transportation Authority. The T will provide service both days beginning at 10 a.m. Fans can catch the bus at Tarrant County Community College’s (TCCC) northwest campus located at 4801 Marine Creek Parkway. Busses will begin runs back to TCCC 30 minutes following the conclusion of each day’s race. The cost is $10 per person roundtrip. For more information, contact The T at (817) 215-8600.

“FAN 4 LIFE” SEARCH GOES NATIONAL – Aaron’s Rents will give fans nationwide a chance to be a “Fan 4 Life” at Texas Motor Speedway. Four lucky fans and a guest will be flown to Texas Motor Speedway for the speedway’s three major race weekends where they will be “paired” with a driver. If their driver wins the race – either the April 4 Samsung/RadioShack 500 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race, the June 12 Bombardier 500k or Oct. 17 Chevy 500k Indy Racing League IndyCar Series races – that fan will win Texas Motor Speedway Season Tickets for life. Fans can enter at more than 600 Aaron’s Rents stores nationwide.

CAN SOMEONE GET THE PHONE? -- In conjunction with the Samsung/RadioShack 500, Samsung and RadioShack will be offering the Samsung VI660 for $29.99 at all RadioShack stores starting Thursday, January 29.

IF THE BOOT FITS – The speedway will have a fitting sponsor for it’s unique boot trophy given to the winner of the April Samsung/RadioShack 500. Justin Boots, who was today announced as the “Official Boot of Texas Motor Speedway,” will become the trophy sponsor beginning this year. The trophy, now incorporating the Justin logo, was unveiled as part of the Media Day activities.

# # #

Maybe Chuckie....can give us (his view) on the meeting.

When summoned by "The Gardner" :D:P .....I have no choice but to heed the call.. :lol:

Okay, here's some of the highlights that I observed/participated in..

BRUTON SMITH...was asked directly (twice) about the rumor that NASCAR will sell him Rockingham and let him move THAT date to Texas, so TMS has a second NEXTEL Cup race...this, of course, as a proposed settlement to the Ferko lawsuit...He denied having Rockingham as his "number one" priority, but didn't deny it could be a "lower" priority..

He also mentioned he was propositioned about building a new track in the New York area...he said he visited one particular site on Long Island..he decided against it because there were only 2 ways to get to the location (Long Island Expressway and Long Island Railroad), so he didn't think it would be a good idea to put one out there...

DAVID STARR...I had a great time chatting with David--didn't get too much time because he was so busy honoring interview requests..he got hammered with questions about The Reality of Speed TV show..Turns out the Reality Film Crew was at David's hotel room this morning to tape him shaving, among other "morning" activities! THAT should be fun to watch this Saturday...The great thing about David and his Holigan Busch team is they're practically all TEXAN--David, Michael Holigan, the crew chief among others..and of course, the shop is in Texas (over by Hiline Drive, which is north of Dallas)..no question, David is a media favorite at the TMS Media Day, everyone wants to interview him...Keep your ears to your radio on Sunday morning, I have a feeling you'll hear his voice (hint: LIVE)...David also joked about how much ribbing he gets for driving the Enzyte car... :lol:

MICHAEL HOLIGAN...Great guy, really is down to earth like David...told me he thoroughly enjoys the Reality show and is very happy with David, both on the show and as a driver...He said he was happy with the ratings for the show and said "Spike told me the other day the ratings are up 50% over the last couple weeks"....At the Media Forum with David, Holigan said, "Yes, we're going to run a part-time Busch schedule this year. Still, I think we can win about 5-6 races this year!" :D Holigan also said, "If David goes out and wins 15 Busch races this year, he's DEFINITELY got a full-time ride in Busch next season!"

That's the meat of what I saw today...I'll post this in the David Starr forum as well...

I am all for a second date but at the same time I would sure hate to see Rockingham or any other speedway for that matter suffer the same fate as North Wilksboro which

ironically got Texas' its' first date.

However this is the norm with today's business of racing.

I hope we never get to the point where all the events are only run on all the 1.5 mile tracks !!

Jimmy who??? LOL

Jason, he was born in PA about 3 hours from where I was born..he's an OLLLDDD bugger..lol

Archived