Return to Texas World?

joshua1340

Hey Everyone,

What would it take to get races going at Texas World. I've been there for the IMSA races in the mid-90's. That would bring some variety to Texas. Go from under half-miles to 2 miles. Not to mention the various road courses. I for one as a TPS driver would like to drive there.

As much as I would like to get back to TWS, it will not happen anytime soon, if ever.

This has been discussed before here several times, but briefly-

Most of the track would have to be rebuilt (again). And the entire grandstand would have to be torn down and redone. The stands are currently unusable. there are deep crevices and fissures in the dirt berm under the stands.

The parking lot was never good, and worse after rain.

The previous management under Dick Conole had the track booked most of the year to private testing, club racing, and so on. Nothing that had spectators involved. They did not have to pay liability insurancefor spectators, have concessions, extensive security, and so on.

It appears that the current management is following the same business plan.

Then the problem of who you book to come. Virtually no chance of a cup race, and questions of whether a stand-alone busch race would draw enough fans. Historically, ARCA or the old USAC Stock cars did not draw well.

With two races at TMS already, Nascar will not be interested in TWS.

The last cup race held there in 1981 only had a crowd estimate of about 20,000 people.

Remember also, all the legal crap that happened for TMS to get it's second date. The State of Texas will not get a third.

Remember, I have fond memories of that place from the 70's to the 90's, especially the TROC weekends staged by Neil Upchurch.

But I see nothing on the horizon that will bring that track back.

Ran a time attack back in the spring. Ran the whole road course including the back part, only ran the front straight banking but in general the track was in good shape. The corner banking has not been used in along time. With the new infield part of the road coarse that they built several years ago, it is real nice. The big problem is the track rental now is out of control for anyone other than the high dollar car clubs.

Hey Everyone,

What would it take to get races going at Texas World. I've been there for the IMSA races in the mid-90's. That would bring some variety to Texas. Go from under half-miles to 2 miles. Not to mention the various road courses. I for one as a TPS driver would like to drive there.

ONLY ONE THING WILL DO IT, **BIG MONEY SPONSOR**

The big problem is the track rental now is out of control for anyone other than the high dollar car clubs.

Not all of the clubs are high dollar. It's the 150+ entries that help cover the costs.

I have asked and the 1.5 mile oval could be used. The 2 mile oval may never be used again due to the condition of the track in NASCAR 3 & 4 and the openings in the back straight wall for the road course.

Edited by Waco Racer

Hey Everyone,

ONLY ONE THING WILL DO IT, **BIG MONEY SPONSOR**

You guys ever notice that it don't matter who your talking to and about what,that the "M" word ALWAYS seems to come up!!!!!

Just got back from TWS last night. Ran a 2 day kart race there.

The new owners have done a *few* things:

Updated Website

New signage

Remodeled Registration/Pro shop/Vending room

Painted all restrooms and fixed the toilets... A.J. Foyt's foot fungus still lives in the shower though

Built a large new section of blue garages on the upper in-feild parking area

In the process of remodeling the drivers lounge

Mowed the darn grass

The fact is, the only was we will ever experience TWS again, is in road course form. Like mentioned above, the grandstands, turn 3&4 and many other areas need serious help. Supporting a large venue would require an initial investment of HUGE amounts. I would agree like anyone else, the venue is historic and missed greatly.

It was fun this weekend, it rained (the usual college station 3pm storm) and as usual my covered pit spot became a lake. We were then greeted by crickets, pill bugs and some kinda flea bug. The concessions were still excellent, its still the same husband and wife team behind the counter. I recommend the chop bbq. The track was in good shape. No real changes. The back stretch between 6 & 7 (on the 2.8 mile course) has become a little wavy, but nothing major (when you're in a kart, a 1" bump feels huge). The dip on the start finish line has become a tad worse.

post-3390-1219698261_thumb.jpg

post-3390-1219698289_thumb.jpg