Red Garner's Latest Modified

jakdad

Nick please help on resize. my regrets for being 'puter challenged.

This car was completed in 1987. It had been started several years earlier. Amazingly, due to circumstance, it has never been on the track. We loaded it today for a trip to Lake Charles, La. I took some pics during loading. Red still has the Old "3" Championship car out back. Got to love these old Modifieds................

[resized by Nick Holt, 6/8/08]

post-3-1212971708_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971719_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971738_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971756_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971777_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971790_thumb.jpg

post-3-1212971805_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Should have fired it up and made a few laps around the neighborhood for us! :)

Why don't you guys bring this car to our classic car show held every Saturday night.

We have several fans from the old Meyer Speedway Days that attend and would enjoy this car for sure!

The car is going to Lake Charles. Red's son is going to do some work on it and store it over there. I wish there had been time to display it at the car show. These old cars will draw a crowd. They really draw a crowd when you put thirty of them on the track and turn'em loose...............................

Display it my ass, I want to hotlap that baby, that's when supers were supers, Like to see ole Bill White setting in that thing in his prime for a shake down run, we'd find out what it's made of then. Great looking sled Jim, thank's for sharing those pictures, makes me drool all over myself.

In running condition, I have to wonder about lap times at SAS/San Antonio. I would guess a mid/high 17 to low 18 second range with today's tires. Any faster than that, my eyes wouldn't be able to watch. But really just a guess, based on the speeds/lap times at Meyer Spdwy/Houston in the early '70s, which would be, as I recall, low/mid 20 to mid 21 second range. The Meyer Spdwy/Houston Super Modified track record, as I recall, is/was 19:45 seconds, set by Joe Holley in a winged rear engine creation of owner/builder Bill Hite. I'm thinking the record was set in '72 or '73.

THIS CAR HAS A 377 SBC HILBORN INJECTED ALCHOHOL ENGINE (NEW) FROM 1976 NEVER RACED JUST DYNO TIME. CAR WEIGHS JUST UNDER 1300 LBS WITHOUT DRIVER FULL OF FUEL (30 GAL.). DAD BUILT THE CAR TO RACE IN MOBILE, JACKSON, PENSICOLA, NEW SMYRNA, HOLLYWOOD FL, AND THE TEXAS SUPER MODIFIED SERIES FOLDED OVER THE WINTER OF 77. THE CAR THEN BECAME A PIECE OF GARAGE FURNITURE AND I AM GOING TO TAKE THE ENGINE AND WING OFF AND PUT IT ON THE PRIOR 3 SUPER AND RESTORE IT. I AM NOT SURE WHAT THIS CAR WOULD HAVE DONE IN ITS DAY BUT THE PREVIOUS SUPER THAT WAS DRIVEN BY BILLY PERRIN, DON STODDARD, TONY BARCELONA AND IVAL COOPER HELD SEVERAL OF THE RECORDS FOR WINS AND FAST TIMES AT THE ABOVE MENTIONED TRACKS. I HAVE MORE PICTURES AND I WILL POST THEM SOON.

That's really a great looking Super Modified! It too should be a show piece. Even without ever being raced, it tells a story illustrating the quality and skill of builders and drivers at the time of the series demise. But, I am trying to remember when and why the Super Modified events were discontinued at Meyer Spdwy/Houston. Without a doubt, those cars were becoming/had become too fast by the mid '70s. They sure were enjoyable to watch though!

has anybody thought about some of the local sprints running some hot laps at hmp , my guess is they would probably be 2-3 seconds quicker than the super late models ,, who knows maybe there are some old' supers' sitting around that might putt around a few laps" for old time sake", just an idea. B)

i know the old #3 super well and only seen the new one in these pics one time at a car show.The old car was super fast Donald and Billy ran the wheels off that beast. If you ever seen the old super show up at meyer it was a site Red's rig was a site the custom chevy tow vehicle slick trailer and the car on the trailer all was sweet. I'd say best appearing rig at the track in it's time.. Beleive it or not we still have my dad's team shirt from meyer when he helped wrench on the old #3..

HEY GUYS, I HAVE AN IDEA, WHY DONT WE BUILD RETRO SUPERS (COPIES) OF THE CARS THAT RAN AT MEYER IN THE 70'S AND RACE EM AT HMP AND OTHER TEXAS ASPHAULT TRACKS. ALL WE WOULD NEED TO DO IS MAKE SURE THE CARS HAD CURRENT DAY SAFETY EQUIPMENT. BY THE WAY THERE IS A BRAND NEW FAST 3/8 LOCATED IN MONROE LA. OFF OF 1-20 CALLED MONROE MOTOR SPEEDWAY. I'M NOT SCARED.

heck i'm game but for old times sake would want to sit in the #3 again to get a recent pic of me in it to compair with the pic of me in it when i was 7 or 8 years old lol. David its a great idea but how many could we find to join us? how bout do a meyer reunion have the old drivers and have their old meyer rides turn laps. be nice to see all them old meyer cars turn laps once again (supers/late models and broncos)

by the way my dad tells me in the pics of the new car he says them are the same headers that was run back in the early 70's on the old #3 david is he wrong cause they look the same to me to??????????

some old one's reposted

more

post-7944-1213240873_thumb.jpg

post-7944-1213240986_thumb.jpg

ACTUALLY THE ENGINE, RADIATOR, WING, FUEL TANK AND SEAT ARE THE ONLY P\COMPONENTS FROM THE OLD 3 CAR PICTURED. THE HEADERS ON THE NEW CAR WHERE BUILT FOR IT AND I HAVE THE OLD HEADERS. THE ORIGINAL HEADERS WHERE CHROMED AND THEY ARE ACTUALLY AT DAS HOUSE STILL. IT SHOULD'NT TAKE MUCH AS FAR AS REFABING, JUST TIME TO CLEAN BLAST PAINT AND RECHROME EVERYTHING. I BELIEVE JIM IS RIGHT THOUGH, I WILL PUT THE CAR BACK ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR THE SAFETY BELTS. I JOKINGLY TOLD MY PARTNER IN THE MODIFIED WE RACE AT HMP THAT I WAS GOING TO PUT THE ENGINE IN THE MOD AND SEE IF HE COULD HANDLE IT BUT 700 PLUS HP IS A LITTLE MUCH FOR 8 INCH TIRES. (LOL). I HAVE OTHER PICTURES AND WILL POST WHEN I FIQURE OUT HOW TO.

hey David thanks for the call this morn was nice talking again heck was thinkin bout it and its been hmmm 35 years since we last talked wo very long time.... i will defenatly try to come out to see you at hmp. laters chipmunk

BILLY PERRIN IN THE 4 FALCON FENDERED SUPER IN FRONT OF BILL WHITE AGAIN AT MEYER. THIS IS HOW IT WAS IN 1968. BILLY PERRIN DOMINATED THAT YEAR. JIM I STILL REMEMBER DAD AND BILLY TALKING ABOUT THIS CAR YEARS AGO BEFORE BILLY PASSED AWAY AND HOW ED HAMLIN TOLD DAD HE COULD NOT RACE THIS CAR BECAUSE ED SWORE UP AND DOWN THAT THIS WAS BILLY'S USAC SPRTINT CAR. BILLY HAD TO BRING HIS SPRINT CAR TO THE TRACK AND PROVE TO ED THAT THEY WERE 2 DIFFERENT CARS. DAD STILL HAS SOME COOL STORIES HE TELLS ABOUT THIS CAR. I WAS 8 WHEN THIS CAR RACED BUT I REMEMBER DAD BUILDING IT IN OUR 1 CAR GARAGE AND HOW IT DOMINATED MOST RACES. WISH I COULD FIND IT AND RESTORE IT. I HAVE ENOUGH PICTURES AND COULD PROBABLY MAKE A COPY BUT THE BODY MIGHT BE TOUGH TO REPRODUCE.

MORE OF THE 4 FALCON FENDERED CAR

[resized and reformated by Nick Holt, 6/15/08]

post-3-1213508603_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213508984_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213508994_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213509006_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213509018_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213509026_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213509034_thumb.jpg

your Dad told me about Ed thinking that was Billy's car. I also remember when we all lived out in Southcrest, You could work out of a small one stall garage or outside. :D:D No other options.

Archived