Red Garner's Latest Modified

jakdad

I seem to recall seeing the earlier car, the late '30s modified coupe bodied #54 Modified Stock Car, in a one car garage and wondered how much work could be done there. Southcrest sounds familiar. Is that where the # 3 Falcon Modified Car was built? I am so glad to see these pictures of what to me was a Classic. Maybe a Classic Crossover between the Houston Modified Stock Cars and the Super Modified Cars.

HEY JIM, YA'LL LIVED ON SOUTHCREST AND WE LIVED ON SOUTHHURST. WHAT WAS THAT 2 BLOCKS AWAY AND THEN MOM AND DAD ENDED UP 4 HOUSES DOWN FROM YOU IN KATY. IF YOU STILL LIVED ON SOUTHCREST YOU WOULD'NT BE ABLE TO RIDE IN HOOD LIKE YOU DO NOW!!!! LOL......

HERE IS THE CAR I WILL BE RESTORING. THIS IS DADS SUPER THAT DON STODDARD, BILLY PERRIN, TONY BARCELONA, BUTCH HARRIS, RON BRASHER, SONNY UPTON AND IVAL COOPER DROVE AT HOUSTON, JACKSON, MOBILE, PENSICOLA, VERO BEACH, NEW SMYRNA AND HOLLYWOOD FL.

[resized and reformated by Nick Holt, 6/17/08]

post-3-1213762663_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213762673_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213762697_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213762705_thumb.jpg

post-3-1213762716_thumb.jpg

hey david post if ya can if not please email me with the pics from like 69 through 74 of all ya have my dad is goin nuts. he misses that car and he says he is sure there is pics of him with the car at the house and the track.im glad your on here now cause you sure are bringing back a great time in history with the pics you have. if ya can call me sometime tomorrow i didnt save your number but will when you call....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

david do you have any idea were the falcon fender 3 car ended up . i know dad had it and it became the 21 and ron brashear drove it but who bought it from dad ? i cant find out . i have a couple of pictures of it as the 21 that ill try to post , if you have any i would love to see them . thanks duane

• 1 month later...
david do you have any idea were the falcon fender 3 car ended up . i know dad had it and it became the 21 and ron brashear drove it but who bought it from dad ? i cant find out . i have a couple of pictures of it as the 21 that ill try to post , if you have any i would love to see them . thanks duane

DUANE...........GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU...............I WISH I COULD FIND THE FALCON FENDERED CAR.............I TALKED TO DAD AND HE SAID UNCLE BUDDY RACED IT FOR A YEAR OR 2 AND THEN HE SOLD IT.................DAD THINKS IT ENDED UP ON THE OLD NAVASOTA DIRT TRACK BUT HE IS NOT SURE....................DAD SAID THAT BUDDY JOE MAY KNOW BUT HE WASNT SURE...................HOPE ALL IS WELL.........D.G. CALL ME SOMETIME...............337-296-6472

hey david , i talked to buddy joe and he cant remember who bought it , we do know that it was wrecked shortly after dad sold it , and he sold it in 72. ive tried to find ron but havent had any luck , thought he would know . ill call you soon and maybe we can figure out something , i would love to see that car again .

• 2 weeks later...

Under "more meyer spdwy super mod photos", post # 1, the 5th picture down has a car with some similiarities. Probably not the same car, but that # 55 Car, I believe from reading about it, was at one time raced at Big H Motor Spdwy and owned by Bill Brashear.

the 55 car doesnt resemble the falcon car in the piture on post 39 of this section , but it post 38 when they had taken all but the front of the body off for the liberty bell race there are alot of simularitys. ill have to call my brother and see if they put the body back on or left it the way you see it in that picture . the picture of the 55 car just isnt clear enough .

was bill and ron related ?

the 55 car doesnt resemble the falcon car in the piture on post 39 of this section , but it post 38 when they had taken all but the front of the body off for the liberty bell race there are alot of simularitys. ill have to call my brother and see if they put the body back on or left it the way you see it in that picture . the picture of the 55 car just isnt clear enough .

was bill and ron related ?

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how Bill and Ron spelled their last names. But, I don't think they were related, at least not to each other. As for the # 55 Modified, I just wanted to make sure you saw that picture just in case. The Falcon Fender bodied car is what the Modifeds should have evolved into, instead of unlimited Winged Super Modifieds. Just my opinion.

• 2 years later...
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how Bill and Ron spelled their last names. But, I don't think they were related, at least not to each other. As for the # 55 Modified, I just wanted to make sure you saw that picture just in case. The Falcon Fender bodied car is what the Modifeds should have evolved into, instead of unlimited Winged Super Modifieds. Just my opinion.

Brasher

• 1 month later...

Under "more meyer spdwy super mod photos", post # 1, the 5th picture down has a car with some similiarities. Probably not the same car, but that # 55 Car, I believe from reading about it, was at one time raced at Big H Motor Spdwy and owned by Bill Brashear.

The #55 car belong to I.H. Buddy Evans it was owned and built by Buddy/ They lived in Post Oak Manor off of S. Post Oak and S. Main area not far from Meyer Spdwy, The cars looks similar to Bill Brashears car because Buddy built and sold the car to Buddy. Bill Brashear owned and Billy Wade drove it. They all lived in the same area of Houston My Dad being R.C. Bob Brown turned several wrenches for Buddy Evans before him and Billy Perran hooked up with Red Garner. For the love of God y'all make my heart go thump thump thump seeing that #3 Super and the memories. That car was as amazing as the group of men that put their time and sweat into making it run like the charm it was and still is. The sprinters and super modifides today are cool, but the dynamics have changed so much that they hardly compare to the beast of our era. I realize its safety factor, but now I realize why my Daddy walked away when he did. Its just not the same and I am sure Billy my Dad and all the old Meyer Spwdy legends are in the heavens shaking their heads. These guys making the Supers run today, are not your local good ol boys that turn wrenches out of the house garage on Fri night Sat morning before the race. Kind of guys. Thanks for sharing David I love the pics and stories. I am a lil surprised that Billy didn't try to whoop Ed Hamblen over saying they couldn't run the car.

Archived