NASCAR Modifieds-Mid 60s

jakdad

Jim,

It looks like those Modifieds had very similiar rules to the '60s era Houston Modified Stock Cars, with a little different enterpretation by some of the Houston area racers. But yes, quite similiar. Maybe if Mark can identify the spdwy and cars, possibly additional pictures/stories will be available.

Yes, this pic is old and grainey. Nick was able to post it for me. Those are some nice looking cars. I have one pic that is slightly larger. Maybe I will send it to Nick to see if it will work any better.

I had a conversation with Bill France Sr. "Back in the Day" when I was working for Texas International Speedway (later re-named Texas World Speedway) in College Station.

Big Bill told me that in the early days of NASCAR, he wanted to move toward an open wheel car as the premier racing class in NASCAR. His reasons were:

1. In the early 50's more American race fans identified with USAC Champ Car because of the Indy 500.

2. Most American race fans didn't recognize a stock car as a true race car during that period.

3. True race cars (like an Indy car) were purpose built. At least half of the starting field could be expected to complete 500 miles because of their construction. For this reason NASCAR had a starting grid of 75 cars at the first Darlington 500 on Labor Day, 1953. NASCAR believed that if they didn't start a lot of cars, the entire field might break down and the race might have to be awarded to the last car to drop out, short of 500 miles.

Bill France Sr. told me that to this end, he had several Indy Champ cars at the first Daytona Speed Weeks in 1959. Unfortunately, there were fatalities. That is when Bill France Sr. changed his mind. He decided Indy Cars would no longer be allowed on the Daytona International Speedway. With his decision, he directed that NASCAR would concentrate on making stock cars more purpose built. He wanted the ultimate goal for the technical future of premier racing class in the United States to be for stock cars, not Indy cars.

It appears that he made to correct change of direction.

btw: I don't think the photo was taken at Darlington. The covered section of the grandstand was much closer to turn #4. That entire grandstand was later torn down and became the back straight-a-way at the egg shaped first "super speedway".

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas World Speedway

I remember the fiasco with the Indy cars. I think that is where George Amick lost his life (it's been a long time). Here is a write up about Daytona & Indy cars.

First Two Deaths At Daytona

When fans visualize racing at Daytona International Speedway they automatically think NASCAR Stock Cars. Yet the first driver to die at the new track was Marshall Teague who had made the switch from NASCAR to open wheel racing and had competed in the 1953 and 1957 Indy “500s.” Then, while testing his Sumar Special Indy Car he crashed to his death during a practice session, February 11, 1959.

During the Indy Car race there, April 4, Jim Rathmann won, but on the final lap, fast qualifier, George Amick crashed and became the second fatality there. The July 4 race was canceled due to safety concerns and no other Indy Car race as been scheduled there.

This looks like Darlington but not sure. Mark may know this track. I noticed a great similarity to our local cars.

post-3-1211551735_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell, but that looks a lot like Lehi. Jim have you got a bigger shot of that. Those long straights and banked turns, that's got to be Lehi, Some called it Memphis-Arkansas Speedway. It was a 1.5 mile Dirt Speedway. A huge paperclip, that was a death trap. They talked about paving it to make it safer but no one could come up with the scratch to pave it. Stands held about 10K people. If they would have ever paved it, it would have made Darlington look slow.

Here's it from the sky today

post-3-1211778292_thumb.jpg

MA1.jpg

MA2.jpg

Nascar ran there from '54-'57

Check out this field from Langhorne

GlenWoodBobbyMeyersandBaldyWilson.jpg

Wow!!! That is a paperclip! I remember Langhorne. A.J. won a few races up there. I heard it was one of the toughest dirt tracks around. Didn't they eventually pave Langhorne?

I'll see if I can get a larger photo to you. From looking at your pic, I believe you're right.

Yeah they had two fast tracks in that area, Riverside, where the likes or Slammin' Sammy started out his career, I ran Riverside many many times, that is a great track. I think it's been recently redone completely and is top notch stuff.

I am traveling through West Memphis this week, if I can get the truck and trailer in there I will try and get some current photos of what's left of Lehi. You can still see the banks from I-40. It's a monster of a track. Never got to run that track, would have been interesting to see how deep you could take those turns, and as long as those straightaways are, entry speed is a big issue I am sure. Would love to see a wing car dive off in there to see if the banking could hold the speed. Looks like a rice field in the infield now. What a waste.

The track had a lot of banking, and I remember that they had two ponds on both ends of the speedway. They used that dirt for the banking. It was pretty impressive, and it was a big dirt speedway for the time. Still, it was tough to forget the speedway because it was so big. Lee Petty went over the bank and into the lake and his car went underwater. He climbed out of the car, got on top of it and said, "Damn, that water's cold. ... Get me another car ready."

OverthebankatWMS.jpgTalk about running the high line!!!!!!!!!

woodbros1.jpg

The famous Wood's Brothers @ West Salem

CurtisTurnerandFrance.jpg

Curtis Turner and Big Bill and ?

Fireball.jpg

Fireball Roberts

Yes - Langhorne was paved. My parents say I was there - but too young to remember. It was paved and converted to a "D" shape around '65 or so. Prior to that it was a huge circle of dirt...and wicked fast according to my dad...it closed around '71

PAPosse

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Langhorne a board track before it went to dirt? Seems I vaguely remember a board track over in that vicinity.

No, Langhorne started as a perfect 1 mile dirt circle in the mid 1920's.

The board track you are thinking of may be the one that was in Atlantic City, New Jersey, or maybe the one in Brooklyn, New York.

Could also be thinking of the Nutley, New Jersey Velodrome, which was a 1/7th mile board track originally built for bicycle racing, but hosted auto racing in the late 30's.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Langhorne a board track before it went to dirt? Seems I vaguely remember a board track over in that vicinity.

No, Langhorne started as a perfect 1 mile dirt circle in the mid 1920's.

The board track you are thinking of may be the one that was in Atlantic City, New Jersey, or maybe the one in Brooklyn, New York.

Could also be thinking of the Nutley, New Jersey Velodrome, which was a 1/7th mile board track originally built for bicycle racing, but hosted auto racing in the late 30's.

Thanks Tom, I knew you would know.......

You know Jim,

As I see it, there will never be modifieds like those old coupes with fat donut tires, gangster grills, and that ever so popular sway back look from the top.. to the dove tail trunk lid.

They were just good lookin modifieds with character and a sassy behavior!

This is racing history that I'm glad I was able to witness..

Since Jim started an Old Nascar thread here, I plan to fill it up. I have a ton of stuff, it's just so cool to look at the good ole days, before aero push was the biggest excuse in town. Most of these have nothing to do with Texas Racing History, except the made a few races out this way, but they are the meat of the sport none the less.

1953DaytonaModSprt.jpg

1953 Daytona Beach

400-Red-Farmer-coach-Bristo-1.jpg450-DSCN1795-1.jpg

Just had to throw this in, Red Farmer is one of the greats, and is still racing 5 nights a week to this day.

WoodStation.jpg

Glen Wood at their shop.

WoodsDublinVA.jpg

Glenn Wood feature win @ the Durham Fairgrounds

marks1.jpg

The Dutchman taking a break.

mark67.jpg

Talk about a pretty sled

mark46.jpg

patnode2.jpg

thekids.jpg

The Kiddos

1.jpg

Another fine Coupe

BaldyWilsonandJack.jpg

One of my personal favorites, Baldy wilson and my Uncle Jack Gilmore at his house in Mooresville. Jack was building motors for several hot shoes back then.

BaldyWilsonatthebeach.jpg

Baldy @ the Beach

BillGarlick.jpg

Billy Garlick in '51

The pictured late '30s bodied Modified Stock Cars appear to be '60s era, with the wider tires possibly late '60s/early '70s. Note that they are, although trimmed, fendered Modifieds. Apparently built/raced under similiar rules that were used for Houston area Modifieds in that era. Great photos.

Mark,

You mentioned your uncle Jack Gilmore. I remember that name as a fellow who did some racing around Austin and San Antonio in the late '50's and maybe the early 60's. Is he possibly the same guy, or is this just a coincidence?

Archived