TEXAN CASEY SMITH 3RD @ SNOWBALL

kennystone5k

CASEY SMITH COMES FROM 31ST POSITION TO A VERY STRONG 3RD PLACE FINISH IN THE SNOWBALL DERBY. CONGRATS TO THE WHOLE SMITH RACING TEAM. WISH WE COULD OF BEEN THERE FOR THIS ONE!!!! YOU COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE GREAT LONE STAR STATE OF TEXAS!!!!!! ONCE AGAIN CONGRATS. AND HAVE A SAFE TRIP HOME!!!

YOUR VERY CLOSE FRIENDS, THE STONE FAMILY

Dec. 7 - 36th Annual Snowball Derby™

1 78 Charlie Bradberry 303

2 7 Gary St. Amant 303

3 9 Casey Smith 303

4 119 Kevin Cywinski 303

5 28 Ricky Turner 303

6 38 Scott Carlson 303

7 10 Paul Kelley 303

8 22 Jeremy Pate 303

9 72 Scott Hantz 302

10 59 John Wilkenson, III 302

11 8 Freddie Query 302

12 70 Donald Long 301

13 49 Stanley Smith 301

14 13 Charlie Menard 300

15 45 Dwayne Baggay 299

16 3 T. Wade Welch 298

17 44 Joel Kauffman 297

18 55 Terry Mason, Jr. 295

19 23 Jeremy Rice 295

20 911 Walt Brannen 291

21 71 Chris Davidson 290

22 4 Gary Helton 290

23 99 Dale Little 286

24 118 Dave Mader 284

25 16 Hal Goodson 182

26 0 David Hole 165

27 1 J.R. Norris 158

28 101 Jack Landis 158

29 01 Wayne Willard 158

30 40 Bubba Naumann 146

31 88 Travis Kittleson 128

32 5 Steve Wallace 118

33 84 Doug Thorpe, Jr 58

34 18 Ronnie Sanders 41

35 82 Grant Enfinger 40

36 11 Mike Harmon 22

37 6 Tim Fryar 1

38 72m Eddie Mercer 1

That's our boy!! Way to go, Casey!! :DB);)

And congrats to ALL the Texas representatives who ran in the race.. :)

Guest Justaracefan

18 year old Casey Smith only 2 spots away from adding another title to his resume, oh well he still has 25 years to keep trying for this one. Congratulations Casey!

Snowball comments:

Texas represented very well in Pensacola, Casey Smith very strong run, fast the whole race and an excellent shot to win in the waining laps, comes home 3rd with the nose on his car clean! I watched Casey closely, and he had his game face on the whole race. He raced hard enough to move into the top 10 by around lap 75 or so, but not too hard as to get into one of the many mishaps that always seem to collect a good car. When the lap cars would get,"crazy" it looked as if he took a breath and let them settle down. THEN PASSED THEM, ALMOST ALL OF THEM! In the last few laps he had hard challenges from Scott Carlson, Kevin Cywinski, Jeremy Pate and bested them all, ...cleanly... His crew was one of the fastest, keeping him in the hunt all day. Casey was not the only one that impressed,

Chris Davidson ran hard and I counted him up to 6th or 7th at one time and just as fast as the leaders. Somewhere around lap 200 he pitted with a bunch of cars, on a yellow, and was set to move up even further, but it looked like the tires he put on were not matched up right or maybe one was going down because he immediately began slowing down. Unfortunately it was on an extended green flag run and he lost 1 or 2 laps. He did finally get his yellow and was fast again but down a couple laps. He was involved in a wreck w/about 5 laps to go. Sorry I didn't see how it happened. T Wade was involved in an early caution and lost a couple of laps, but beat up car and all was able to run with and even pass Casey at one time. I kept wondering who that 3 car was till my 12 year old son reminded me...(oldtimers settin in), Bubba Nauman had troubles off and on couldn't tell what was wrong with his car. Got to see Terry Mason Jr. race too, he was fast at times but I did see them working on the suspension during the yellows, guess the handle went away on him.

All in All I think Pensacola and the SAS cars, and SSS cars, were very aware of the ROMCO REGULARS, Robert Mullins and Terry Barden can be very proud of what they have accomplished. Now if they can land that PRIMARY SERIES SPONSOR, and increase the Points or Purse Payout, I'm sure these other series regulars will be doing more traveling south.

By the way, Romco Rules seem to be pretty close to these other classes, and Romco is one of the PREMIER short track series in the country. The Future looks very bright for Romco and their Impressive Drivers.

"It was one of the best Snowball races" was the gossip in the stands after the race.

Well I'm no rebel or txtom, but thats the short version...

I'm going to bed, 26 hrs... no sleep

Thanks

Mel

Congrats to Casey on a good run in the snowball.

But also have to give some credit to Bradberry to if not been for a brave pilot to fly him out of a New York blizzard he would not of been able to run the race. Also what job his crew did setting the car up no laps on the track till he took the green flag for the race.

Give gredit to both of these guys starting in the back and coming to the front.

Guest Justaracefan

Has anyone heard if the new people that took over the track in Pensacola are going to open it for weekly racing or just host the snowball? There is no schedule on the website.

I wouldn't get in too much of a hurry about their schedule. It took them until the week of the Snowball to post it's purse.

The more interesting thing is a prospective buyer. Hopefully Snowball from over there can keep us posted on this.

The Casey-bashing is getting a little annoying, people. A number of very well-known drivers have never won the Snowball, some have never even qualified.

Casey Smith has tried to run in two Snowballs: 2001 and 2003. (They didn't run the 2002 event, due to sponsor conflicts, as I recall.) He qualified for both and was running in second place under a caution flag when he was hit by a car coming out of the pits who mistook Casey for the other of only two black cars in the field.

Two attempts, qualified two times, finished top three once, taken out by something not of his doing the other time.

A lot of drivers with bigger names would like to have that record at the Snowball.

By the way, how many other Texas drivers have finished third or higher in the Snowball? Only one comes to mind...

It would be nice if more of our fellow Texan's could afford to enter the race by either sponsorship or out-of-own pocket money. I think we would have a lot more top 3's and some more wins. This race takes lots of patience and lots of luck. Take a look at Welch, he had a top ten car, but was involved in an accident on the second lap. Chris Davidson was in 6th place at lap 215, but a flat tire, caused him to get lapped 2 or 3 times ten laps later. He couldn't avoid an accident in front of him towards the end and that made his day. Casey was awsome, these type of races should really help his confidence. Is there any other Texan's besides Chris and Freddy who have led the race.

I thought Freddy was from Tennesse? Oh he is a Texan, he lived here for quite a while, and Bubba's from Pensacola!

Archived