Why dirt is better than asphalt

97car

:) Ok lets have fun with this,because it seems everyone went to sleep in the off season already.I think dirt is better then asphalt due to less or no cleanup after blown engines,more side by side racing,more then one groove,more fun to slide thru a corner,more dirt tracks in the state,bigger car counts at weekly and end of season shows 200plus at many end of season shows,and besides who doesn't like mud wrestling?

outlaw, The only thing left this year is in Houston this coming weekend at Dundee Motor Spwy.(formerly 105/Millican) It's for Sims Mods, Streets and bombers. Other than that I-37 starts it's Winter Season on Jan. 3rd. Finally get to give my poor typing finger a break. LOL

97car, You're a brave man posting that on here. LMAOOOOOOOOOO

I like both but I prefer asphalt. But how can you say there is more than 1 groove on a dirt track. As far as I have seen all the dirt tracks in South Texas are 1 groove unless the weather cooperates all week and the dirt doesn't get dried out. Also all the shows in the off season with alot of cars seem to be 1 groove. It really doesn't matter, if it snows I would try to race in that.

I like dirt racing, but i really enjoy the suspension engineering part of alsphalt more than trying to guess track conditions and second guess tire selection. In pavement racing it's the subtle things that make the difference. In pavement racing there are more variables that can be manipulated by the team to match a fairly stable set of constants (such as track conditions) whereas in dirt track racing there are few variables that make a difference since the track conditions vary so widely over time.

Of course, this is from a suspension dude, so I'm pretty biased towards pavement.

Nick Holt

Jason, There have been some rallys in Texas up near Paris. The problem with rallying in Texas is that there is not a land owner willing to give up their land to be used for an event. The problem with rallying in the USA is that environmentalists, insurance companies, and lawyers are too involved. These people try to shut down events or want way too much money to allow someone to race. SCCA Club Rallying was shut down part of this year because of these people, it is back running now but there were some legal battles to fight. It is a shame that we live in this big country but can't get away from somebody that likes to complain or someone that is so greedy that they have to have a piece of the action that doesn't even involve them in the first place.

Top Ten Reasons NOT to Race on Dirt

10 Mud dogs and Dirt burgers

9 Beadlocks

8 won't have to listen to the toast "Here's mud in your eye" ever again

7 The money you save on tear offs can put braces on your kids tooth.

6 You won't smell like diesel fuel every Sunday morning

5 "Clean up on the track" Means the tractor just dug up part of the racing groove

4 Your wife/girlfriend won't have to wear combat boots into the pits

3 You'll never get to hear Nick's suspension theories

2 Expand your vocabulary, asphalt is not a medical condition

1 You won't spend all week long cleaning 100 pounds of dried mud off of your car to take it to the track and spray nasty stuff on your paint and pack the track in front of 4 fans so that you can go back to the pits and clean 100 pounds of mud off of your car and spray more nasty stuff on it again. WHEH.

Well I think that they are both equal in a way. If you want to learn how to be a good driver dirt to me is the way to start. Cause like they it's easier to go from dirt to asphalt than asphalt to dirt. To me some of your best drivers today are dirt drivers because they are constantly going through track changes throughout a race. When you put a dirt driver in asphalt car that is good after they get the dirt mentallity out of there head, they can run the race and if the car goes away during the race they can drive through most problems. But with asphalt racing there is less clean up to the racecar and equipment. There is also more exposure with aspahlt racing. I've raced on both and I personally like asphalt more cause thats what i grew up racing on and I feel like I have more control of the car. But I can say nothing feels better than going flying into a wet & tacky turn without lifting off and the car starts to turn sideways and then really laying on the gas and lettin the car drift out of the corner sideways and doin all this while runnin 3 and at some tracks 4 wide. But hey thats my .02

Them asphalt guys just can't handle getting sideways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the ashphalt guys just like to move forward. :o

I have raced both. Love both. It's racin. But I sure love the mental challenge of asphalt.

Dirt, you have to cinch up your balls and manhandle the car in and out. Thats fun.

oh man,

I just love em both!

Is that paligamy? (sp) :D

:D Servicemgr You don't always have to was 100 lbs of mud off,why do you think there is that bump leaving most race track parking lots,it helps bounce the mud off so the track owner can put it back on the racing surface after picking it up. Also the car bodies are cheaper,also better ventilated for summer racing,also easier to add weight on at mosst tracks before crossing the scales,just run thru the wettest part of the track after the checkered flag. Mat the real toys are even more fun then the Tonkas were. Only need one practice session,if you can't figure out what the car is doing,too bad.Makes you more adaptable to changing track conditions,and running different lines,and not afraid to run thru a little rut in the asphalt.

I have been to a some asphalt races & for the most part, they have all been follow the leader. Racing on dirt is much more exciting. There is usually more than one groove & from week to week, you never know how the track's going to be. That's always a challenge & usually puts on a better show. I do agree that asphalt is cleaner, but that's about the only advantage I see to it. Just my 2 cents...

Underneath every Asphalt track is a Dirt track waiting to break out -Amen-I raced on dirt tracks all over Tx for 10 years and aspalt for 8 and they are both fun as hell-Some dirt tracks were like driving across a corn field during the drought season-alot of abuse on the ole body- with water rationing going on in some citys it was dry slick and like asphalt with a little dust thrown in to taste during the feature-aint got no beef about either one-they are both a blast to do- :P

And under at least two current Texas dirt tracks are asphalt tracks waiting to break out!!

I'm born and raised on asphalt, but have a lot of dirt experience with friends who ran it.

I can remember one night years ago in Mesquite watching an old Waco buddy--Joe Sturdivant--run his winged modified. Had 15 1/2 inches of stagger in the rear tires, and under a red flag, had his brother Woody screw about 6 rounds in the right front. Another dirt friend--Paul White-- runs some of the damndest trailing arm angles you've ever seen on a car. And Donnie Moore, who currently runs TPS, was about as wild as anyone I ever saw in a winged sprint car. Wrecked 3 times a lap without hitting anything. Used to have a picture of him pitched sideways with no tire touching clay.

All in all, both forms are great, and I'm glad we have the chance to barb each other about dirt vs asphalt.

txtom,

Donnie drives that TPS Scirocco like a dirt car at times.. which is theoretically impossible to do with a front-wheel drive car. When a fwd car gets loose, it's supposed to keep on coming around.. but not when Donnie's doing it. He's due to win a couple of TPS races this season.. But win or loose, he's really fun to watch race!

Nick Holt

Archived