spark plug

william_7

In my opinion, for that application...buy the cheapo depo autolite $1.20 a piece plugs. Your going to change them every so often, so don't go wild. That plug isnt helping the motor all that much. I thought we might be talking about a late model or something (no offense). So, keep it cheap, its what your class is all about.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like we got some smart ones in here. Heres my situation. I run a 350/350 chevy crate p/n 602 in my circle car with autolite 104's. I turn 6200 with an HEI ignition system. The book calls for .35 gap, I thought most HEI is .45, so which is correct? No MSD box here just a soft touch rev limiter.

are the Accel good?

I don't believe that Accel is worth the extra money. my grandpa always told me that just because the plug is more expensive doesn't make it better. I personally run AC Delco plugs and never had any problems. I run them on a chevrolet 355 with .35 gap.

does your hei have the stock coil?may be why the book says 35

The HEI has a stock type mallory coil.

Ty, I'd run .038 and call it good. That's we run with our HEI, and it works well. I don't think you'd notice any increase by opening it up more than that.

does your hei have the stock coil?may be why the book says 35

The HEI has a stock type mallory coil.

Ty, I'd run .038 and call it good. That's we run with our HEI, and it works well. I don't think you'd notice any increase by opening it up more than that.

Thanks for the input ss99. Does anyone notice a difference with DUI or MSD Distributor? Im running 93 octane at 36 degrees total timing. Last week I ran .35 gap instead of my normal .45 and noticed a little power loss, well obviously Im going to go back up with the gap but may upgrade my HEI coil and guts if yall are really noticing a difference with the higher voltage systems. Can only run stock factory type HEI no open circuit board modules allowed.

stillspinning,

not sure what ss99 sent you, he knows his stuff.... There are alot of varialbles even in 93 Octane. Is it punp gas? Do you store your pump gas? The place you get your fuel, what volume of fuel do they go through? If it is racing 93, how long has the drum been open? Do yourself a favor go out with a fresh set of plugs, warm(sp) the car up and go out for 5 to 10 HOT laps. As you come in(off track) put the car in neutral and shut the car off the car. Have someone ready to pull plug(plugs) and look to see what color they are. please always remember that temp(outside) will change things. also temp of plug makes difference as well(meaning cold or hot heat range) also what wires are you using?

stillspinning,

not sure what ss99 sent you, he knows his stuff.... There are alot of varialbles even in 93 Octane. Is it punp gas? Do you store your pump gas? The place you get your fuel, what volume of fuel do they go through? If it is racing 93, how long has the drum been open? Do yourself a favor go out with a fresh set of plugs, warm(sp) the car up and go out for 5 to 10 HOT laps. As you come in(off track) put the car in neutral and shut the car off the car. Have someone ready to pull plug(plugs) and look to see what color they are. please always remember that temp(outside) will change things. also temp of plug makes difference as well(meaning cold or hot heat range) also what wires are you using?

I use the yellow excel 8.8 racing wires. usually change the plugs every other race with just regular autolite 104's. Its shell 93 octane pump gas and I do not store it, I add Lucas Octance booster with the 36 degrees timing. Not really having problems but always looking to pick up a few more HP. With alot of suggestions from different people, I'm going to try a DUI coil package gap the plugs at .45 and run 32 degrees of timing unless someone else knows a better idea?

want to add a better burn ...cut the tip of the probe off just where it bends ..then resit the plug gap to the side ..that spark will burn the fuel more evenly ..less pre ignition ...that lets you index your plug easier .. funny years ago we ran a motor and change plugs of all styles ... the spark was alot better and the fuel burned alot better across the piston .. alittle more power ...i had to jet down ..warning the plugs dont last aslong ..

Archived