Hwy 16 Late Model Race.

txtom

Thought ya'll would enjoy some pics from a Lare Model race held April, 1985. Seems like they had about 42 show up, including racers from Colorado, Oklahoma, and Florida.

First is the #33 of J.D. Hughes from Sundown, Texas. the "Sundown Sizzler", normally ran #41.

Second is the #6 of Rick Carelli, also from Colorado

Third will be the eventual race winner, Slick Yoemans in the Blue #4 owned by Jim Pallas of Austin.

Fourth is the #1 of Don Wilson from Colorado.

Fifth is the #92 of Dick Anderson all the way from Florida. Slick's closest competition before losing an engine.

post-21-1203046579_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203046625_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203046675_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203046752_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203046845_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more,

#99 Rick Rapp from Corpus Christi, Texas.

#96 Greg Davidson from Houston, Texas.

#57 John Kelly from San Antonio, Texas.

#45 Bob Bolin from Midland, Texas.

#00 Bobby Kolar from Oklahoma City, Ok.

post-21-1203047232_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203047267_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203047287_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203047303_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203047347_thumb.jpg

A couple more.

The #53 is the Ron Chambers car from Austin, Texas. If I remember correctly, he had Charlie Koen in the seat for this race.

The White #14 is Waldo Harper's car from Austin, but Freddy Fryar is driving it. Fryar wrecked his car in practice, the #46 Eddie's Auto Parts entry owned by Eddie Howard of Harahan, Louisiana. Fryar started driving that car after Rat Lane left it.

post-21-1203121077_thumb.jpg

post-21-1203121103_thumb.jpg

And if I remember correctly, Waldo's car was an ex-Ed Howe car, right? He hadn't had it very long.

Freddy ran over a pop rivet going into turn 3 on his warmup lap to qualifying and backed it into the wall. The funny part of that was, we were in the pits after that, and a couple of people came by and introduced themselves and shook hands with him.....his response, "Hello, I'm Freddy Fryar, and I wreck race cars"

And if I remember correctly, Waldo's car was an ex-Ed Howe car, right? He hadn't had it very long.

Freddy ran over a pop rivet going into turn 3 on his warmup lap to qualifying and backed it into the wall. The funny part of that was, we were in the pits after that, and a couple of people came by and introduced themselves and shook hands with him.....his response, "Hello, I'm Freddy Fryar, and I wreck race cars"

It was Howe, If the pic was a different angle, you could see that the roof was Howe green.

As far as Freddy and the "I wreck race cars", he had a really great sense of humor that people rarely saw. I think probably because at the track, he was usually all business.

I had a chance to talk suspension with Freddy several times. He knew more about how a suspension worked than anyone I have ever known.

The one thing about Freddy was that the car was always set up for the track he was going to run before it left the shop. Very few changes made at the track.

I used to watch what Freddy would do to his car in the pits whenever I got the chance. He was always thinking about the suspension. He'd walk around, kinda bite his lower lip, stop for a second or two, then he'd add or take out a tiny puff of nitrogen from a tire or two, or put maybe a quarter round in a corner or the bar.

He probably used a tire pyrometer, but I never actually saw him use one. But he'd look at the tires as if they were talking to him. They probably were... LOL.

Nick

that and the fact that this highly tuned late model race car still had a "dimmer switch" on the floorboard.....lol!

It was amazing to watch him show up and not touch much of anything, and basically walk around and talk to everyone....then when it was showtime.....he went to work and as Nick says....it was a race for second.

Nick, Did you ever notice an extra tie rod mounting place welded just behind the stock hole? My take was that the LF would turn a little quicker. Whatever the reason, it must work 'cause Freddy just kept on winning.

Those two holes were to adjust the steering angle. We have slotted arms on the cars now instead of holes.

Nick, Did you ever notice an extra tie rod mounting place welded just behind the stock hole? My take was that the LF would turn a little quicker. Whatever the reason, it must work 'cause Freddy just kept on winning.

He played Ackerman steering and bump steer before any of us even knew what they were... I doubt he even knows what the technical terms are in racing suspension engineering talk, but he knew exactly what to do with both. The man was a decade before his time. I learned more just watching him than all the books and SAE articles I ever read. In my book, Fast Freddy is King!

Nick

Those two holes were to adjust the steering angle. We have slotted arms on the cars now instead of holes.

And the tie rods stay where you put them in the slots? Please put up a pic if available. The suspension stuff in use now as opposed to what we had is absolutely fascinating. I like the idea of the slotted arm, but don't know if I have the mental to trust it. :D:D

And the tie rods stay where you put them in the slots? Please put up a pic if available.

Here is a pic of a typical spindle in use today. The arrow points to the slot that we bolt the outer tie rod to. We move it back or forth to adjust the steering angle.

As far as the tie rod staying in place, we really don't have that much problem with it, not any more than any other part up there. But some cars will have a serrated plate setup that will prevent it from moving.

And that 169.99 is the price........

post-21-1203296522_thumb.jpg

That is a nice looking piece. I like the idea of the serrated plate keeping it in place. All us old guys had to make that stuff and do our own R & D. Most change is for the better...................

Jim,

The car we raced in '66, which was the # 00 Car from '65, had a shortened LF steering arm to quicken that wheel turning. Fritz cut it, and then overlapped and welded it back together. Never broke.

Archived