HWY 16 Scenes

txtom

Thanks, Nick, for providing the details on the closure. You summarized a lot of history in just a few short paragraphs.

txtom,

As always, you're correct about the details on Slick, etc.

RETrott,

The old SAS website is still up - not sure for how much longer. To take a look at the track history, past champions, etc., here's a link to one of the pages from the website: SAS History

On a side note - Terry Dickerson lost his wife, Tammy, last October due to a massive heart attack. She was a vital part of SAS, so maybe some things happen for a reason. I think it would have been very difficult for Terry to remain involved at SAS following her loss.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I recall, the Meyer Spdwy/Houston Late Model '76 Championship was won by Terry Labonte in, I believe, the same car. As for Slick Yoemans going over the wall, was that '79? I'm thinking I was there.

Slick took that car over in 1980. He won the championship in it at HWY 16 in 1979, and they really didn't hurt the car that year. In 1981 and 1982, Slick raced mostly at Austin Longhorn on Friday nights, and Corpus Saturdays, and if I remember correctly, he won 4 championships those two years at those two tracks.

After the car Slick took over the wall was rebuilt, it was sold to Jerry Edwards of Corpus, who ran it for a few more years.

I'm thinking '80 would explain why we were there. A very good friend had been running at JFMS/Houston in the Stock Car Class in the late '70s, and JFMS closed during the '79 season. Those cars, aka Bronco Stocks 70s era, used factory matching inline 250 cid 6 cyl engines in primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Chevy IIs, etc. My first trip to SAS, as I recall, was when my friend took his '68 Mustang there to run in what appeared to be a somewhat similiar class. I believe he finished the very competitive feature with the leaders in about 7th-8th. Although a 6 cyl, that car had a lot of Late Model influence, and was a very well built former road racing car. In any event, I recall a Late Model going over the wall. I'm thinking red & white, Camaro bodied # 24. I hope I was there, since I have this picture memory.

In any event, I recall a Late Model going over the wall. I'm thinking red & white, Camaro bodied # 24. I hope I was there, since I have this picture memory.

That is a pretty good memory you have there, as Slick was in a red and white #24 Camaro when he jumped the fence in Turn 1. Car was red sides, White top.

The car was #44 when Terry Labonte had it, but Slick was usually #24. The Mustang Slick had before getting this ride was also #24. Slick did not actually own the Camaro, it was owned by a fellow named Cheathem in Corpus.

I have a real good pic of this car at home, I will post it later tonight for you. I'm sure the Keys family has some great shots, also.

Who was your Bronco Mustang friend you mentioned?

Who was your Bronco Mustang friend you mentioned?

T Tommy Tucker. His real name is Tommy Smith, but don't tell anyone. The '68 Mustang was silver # 91, and although I remember changing the number with tape, I don't remember what was used at SAS. The car was owned by Charlie Kohls, and was the original style body, not a fastback. I'm thinking he only ran there that one time. At least that was the only time I went that year.

tom i remember seeing that mustang at cc for the first time and thought .why would anyone race one of those ..mostly chevy as always ...that car was fast ...the keys boys were good at what they did ..just could never figure out which was which ..one of the brothers lives in mathis ..

Here is a pic of Slick and the Camaro, shown at Texas World Speedway. The 17 on the inside is John Rezek from Alvin, and the nose of the orange car in the back is Chet Fillip from San Angelo in the ex-Paul Jett Camaro.

post-21-1202255488_thumb.jpg

just went out to san antonio speedway ans i believe it is official that the land is sold i went past the track and made a right on to lucky rd, as if heading to the old alamo dragway and there is a sign that shows where a new bussiness park will be and the name of the bussines park what else then san antonio raceway bussines park

took pics will post very soon

my wife came home from school the other day PAC, said she talked to a guy who said he was a grandson of the lady that owns sas, he told her that it was in the process of being sold for around 20 million, i just cant see that place selling for that much.

Anyone know what happened to that Miller Genuine Draft Camaro that used to be at the track, supposedly was a Rusty Wallace car???

Ya talking about Ken Neal's Late Model? He ran the MGD colors for awhile. But I don't remember him getting a car from Rusty.

Someone who did, though, was Waldo Harper. He went to I-70 and bought out from under Wallace, minus the engine. He partnered with Tommy Davis, who had a Prototype Engine, and they won several races with it. It was a yellow and red #66, Rusty's short track colors at the time.

No TXTOM, This car was an early model Camaro. I met Ken when he was driving the car flying the MGD Colors. Not that car. This one looked like it should have been a Street Stock or Sportsman car. I remember Fox Gibson running around the track a couple of times in this car, early to mid 90's. Anyway, Sure miss this track, I think I am going to jump the fence and get some last time pictures of an old friend. RIP-SAS. :(

Lenny66 B)

my wife came home from school the other day PAC, said she talked to a guy who said he was a grandson of the lady that owns sas, he told her that it was in the process of being sold for around 20 million, i just cant see that place selling for that much.

Maybe it's one of those win win deals. You know, after securing a taxpayer funded grant to go along with a government insured loan, spend about 2 mil per year on developement and pay themself a 2 mil annual salary, then the project goes broke in 5 yrs. See, everybody wins. The seller received a good price, the developer made a few bucks, and the bankers were repaid from the government insurance on the loan. And then, the process can start all over again.

Signed,

I M Cynical

<_< Kinda sounds like BS!!! No offense to your wife. I just cannot believe that someone would s**t that kind of money for that dirt. Your theory could be a possibility though. Hell, Henry Cisneros may be involved in this, that means another scam for the city to buy a piece of dirt and a building it doesn't need!!!

We need a real race fan with "DEEP" pockets to come bail us out of this misery of no 1/2 mile track. Gonna buy a LOTTO tonite ;) Lenny66 B)

wouldnt surprise me if it went for that much. that will soon be a prime piece of real estate. if toyota was interested in it, she could probably name her price. does she own the land the drag strip and dirt track was on as well, or just the land where sas is located?

Lillian's brother, Aldoph, Jr, inherited the portion of Adolph, Sr's property bordering on Watson Raod where the dirt track and the drag strip were located. Lillian inherited the front part of the land on Highway 16 where SAS sits as well as some property north of the track.

Adolph, Jr. sold his portion over a year ago.

Nick

• 3 years later...
tom i remember seeing that mustang at cc for the first time and thought .why would anyone race one of those ..mostly chevy as always ...that car was fast ...the keys boys were good at what they did ..just could never figure out which was which ..one of the brothers lives in mathis ..

Just to let you know that Larry lives in CC and I (Gary) lives in Bluntzer. CC Speedway sure does bring back a lot of memories as well as San Antonio Speedway

• 2 months later...

Thats from back in 2004. Not sure what they had to do with SAS but Im sure the Reehs still own the property. I will do a little research and let you know for sure. But I do agree....SAS will never re-open. SAD.

Here is a pic of Slick and the Camaro, shown at Texas World Speedway. The 17 on the inside is John Rezek from Alvin, and the nose of the orange car in the back is Chet Fillip from San Angelo in the ex-Paul Jett Camaro.

weird seeing slick in a chevy haha

http://www.bcad.org/ClientDB/Property.aspx?prop_id=189341

Location 14501 S. State Hwy 16 TX

Property ID 189341

SAS property owned by Reeh Management LLC & Reeh Partners LTD. [This reorganization took place in 2007]

Appraised value for the 61.4 acres of $996,220. [The asphalt surface of the track appraised as a $1000 improvement!].

Annual tax bill of $21,000.

http://www.bcad.org/ClientDB/Property.aspx?prop_id=189341

Location 14501 S. State Hwy 16 TX

Property ID 189341

SAS property owned by Reeh Management LLC & Reeh Partners LTD. [This reorganization took place in 2007]

Appraised value for the 61.4 acres of $996,220. [The asphalt surface of the track appraised as a $1000 improvement!].

Annual tax bill of $21,000.

The price will be dropping as time passes.

I may be wrong here, but I think during that 2007 reorganization they split off the corner lot (off turn two) and sold it to someone who was going to put a gas station or convenience store on the corner. Maybe that's why the address where Ms. Reeh lives (14501 S. State Highway 16) includes the track and why the old track address (14901 S. State Highway 16) is now the corner lot.

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
If HB Zachry owns that dirt, I am suprised they have no interest in reviving the track. They are sponsoring David Starr in the #81 NCWTS.Lenny66 B)

Ok...not saying that they would or are going to or anything along those lines but HB Zachry would be the perfect people to re-build and re-open the track along with the added benefit of them being firmly imbedded in the San Antonio political machine.

The only "good" to come out this whole situation is that for the forseable future that piece of property will never be worth more then the last time a race ran on it! Someone oughta call the Reeh's and tell them we have a re-investment strategy for them...

If HB Zachry owns that dirt, I am suprised they have no interest in reviving the track. They are sponsoring David Starr in the #81 NCWTS.Lenny66 B)

Ok...not saying that they would or are going to or anything along those lines but HB Zachry would be the perfect people to re-build and re-open the track along with the added benefit of them being firmly imbedded in the San Antonio political machine.

The only "good" to come out this whole situation is that for the forseable future that piece of property will never be worth more then the last time a race ran on it! Someone oughta call the Reeh's and tell them we have a re-investment strategy for them...

HB already talked to them some time ago. Its not going to happen. Sorry.

Archived