HWY 16 Scenes

txtom

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know what happened to that Miller Genuine Draft Camaro that used to be at the track, supposedly was a Rusty Wallace car???

Ya talking about Ken Neal's Late Model? He ran the MGD colors for awhile. But I don't remember him getting a car from Rusty.

Someone who did, though, was Waldo Harper. He went to I-70 and bought out from under Wallace, minus the engine. He partnered with Tommy Davis, who had a Prototype Engine, and they won several races with it. It was a yellow and red #66, Rusty's short track colors at the time.

That car ended up and retired with Randy Cox in Elmendorf, Tx outside San Antonio. From what i understood years ago, it was given to him. He was the owner of TEX-SAN body shop. Randy helped out Bubba Myers and Tom Hannah.

• 2 weeks later...
Debbie,

So the property became too valuable for short track independent auto racing? If that's the case, who was the property owner in about '76/'77? Who owns it now? SAS/Hwy 16 out lasted Houston's Meyer Spdwy by about 10 yrs, so that should say something about popularity. Meyer Spdwy out lasted Houston's Playland Prk Spdwy, Arrowhead Spdwy, and North Houston Spdwy. As you probably know, the Houston Astroworld property became too valuable for an amusement park. I asked myself then and ask myself now, too valuable for what? On a positive note, Houston Motorsports Park began as Big H Motor Spdwy (dirt) over 30 yrs ago.

In any event, thanks for the response and keep the local spdwys alive!

Well in defense of my favorite track of all times Meyer Speedway being, I grew up at that track and lived less then 3 miles from the track. She was in need of serious repair with the asphalt coming up in chunks, the holes, drivers complaints of the track tearing up their cars. The Meyer estate being in limbo in the hands of a bunch of attorneys even as the Meyerland Plaza center went in ruins along with the track. So to our dismay when you have a track no one is able to purchase falling apart and the drivers are not getting paid. it's going to happen. Somehow a lil ol dirt track came along and took over after the drivers decided to go racing at Hwy 16. I just wish we all knew how Devils Bowl in Dallas does it, they are sitting on a true secret out there.

If anyone wants to go visit SAS I would suggest you stop by the mobile home next to Ms Reahs house and ask Eddie(her son). He is a nice guy and will most likely say yes. If you go onto the property without asking Im sure you will be confronted by someone with a shotgun. Im serious!

• 3 weeks later...
Levi Taylor is who you are thinking of, but he did not go out of the track. He knocked down a nice size piece of the wall, and ended upside down at the bottom of the turn on the inside.

UPDATE- This is the original picture that made the cover of the April 21, 1978 HWy 16 Pitstop program.

You can see the chunk of wall that Taylor knocked down, and Taylor is in the firesuit standing next to his car.

I remember being at that race. At that moment, we were looking towards turn 4, heard a loud pop, and when I turned to look down at turn 2, the 30 car was 10 feet in the air, pointed straight up. Must have been a hard hit

Archived