Some of Scotty Garrett's Rides

Ray Scott

Great pics, Ray, Thanks for posting them.

Didn't ya'll get the black #9 shown at SAS from Alan Yates; I believe it was the car they ran in all black?

I remember Scotty also in a late 50's thunderbird in the hobby class..

• 2 weeks later...

The Green mustang was originally built by myself and Danny Stewart, we built this car and Danny's nova at the same time. Ray was working with Bruce Hobbs on his yellow #27 car at the time. I originally ran two 59 thunderbirds prior to building this mustang. By the way this was a real "R" code car!!!

When we switched to running the Hy-16 track Bruce Hobbs came on board as a sponser and he wonted us to run a chevy so the two tone blue car is actually the mustang with a camero rebody.

The black firebird is the car Mike Krizan purchased from Allen Yates for Jerry Simpson to drive. For whatever reason Jerry declined the ride and I then got the seat.

Hope this answeres some of the questions.

Scotty Garrett...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

302 cominthru - Yes you are correct I started in the hobby class and yes I ran two T-Birds, first a 59 and then later a 60 model. I will try to dig up a photo or two soon to post.

RETroll - I believe the holes/plates you are refering to were the holes for the headers? I usually ran the 180 type headers as opposed to the 360 type that were on most of the cars at the time.

outlaw22 - You are correct about the number 8. I ran it for two seasons. When I changed from the hobby to late model class Jake Wallace ran the #9. When he retired I reverted the #9 that I had used in the hobby class. I also drove the #14 car for Jerry Simpson from time to time.

As I do not visit this site very often if anyone has questions I can be reached at sgarrett@austin.rr.com.

Thanks for the interest.

Scotty Garrett...

Actually I'm RETrott, and not retroll, but thanks for the compliment. The plate I was referring to is from the passenger side/rear door post inward beyond the rear vertical roll bar, and I was just wondering if that helped keep the compartment cooler.

Sorry RETrott, I really should wear my glasses more often? That plate you are refering to was a effort to help keep air out of the car. It really did a good job of keeping the air still inside the car. Was much warmer for the driver but I did not have to worry so much about the dust and such inside the car.

Scotty...

Archived