High cost of Thurs Practice at THR

thrss1

if the bottom line of this thread is to get the car count up then in my opinion i think one thing they (not just THR) could bring the price of thursday practice down. who wants to spend 50 to 100 dollars to practice. i feel people lose the will to compete when they chose to practice, they may not be able to come back saturday for the race because they have allready spent the weeks funding to go out and turn laps to brake in a new moter or scuff tires.

maybe it would help maybe not but for me it definately would

dc

Everyone want the track to pay more and charge less. What a deal. I would welcome practice even if they charged a heck of a lot more. That would get the track a little more money for the points funds. Nothing personal, but noone ever said you had to practice, that would save you money. However, if $50 or $100 is too much, another hobby may be best for you.

all i was saying was that i dont know to many operations that can afford that kind of money twice a week. and this was not just about THR its about all tracks. you have to admit that 20 dollars to get in the pits just to watch is kinda high especially when the grand stands are not open. and yes 50 to 100 a week is makes my budget really tight that is why i only run a partial schedule.

I JUST WANT TO SEE MY HOME TRACK DO THE GOOD IT HAS THE OPTENTIAL TO DO.

and no you dont have to practice on thusday. if your car is right and you are confident in yourself its no big deal. but when someone is learning or setting up a new car that is when it gets up in the price range.

I'm not sure about THR but a lot of tracks purchase insurance for one night a week due to the high cost. Opening the track for practice on another day would require additional insurance and hiring of an ambulance for stand by which could get a little pricey if only 3 or 4 cars show up. Perhaps this would account for the high cost of practice at THR?

racerpix hit one of the nails right on the head! Cost of insurance and Safety personel. In talking to the new promoters of I-37 Spwy. about only allowing one car to practice at a time on Nov. 28th for the Nov. 29th show. He stated the cost of insurance was out of control, especially if more than one car at a time was the track. In doing my track safety article, I found that renting an ambulance varied from $50/Hr. to $300 or more per night.

Texas Thunder Speedway in Kileen only charges $5 per person if they are driving a car to get into the pits. They only allow 1 car on the track at a time & they do not have an ambulance there. I do agree that Thunderhill charges too much for practice. I think they would get more people if the price wasn't so high.

Just curious I dont know exactly how to put this but is the 300 per car or are people able to split the costs between other cars that show up... Lets say #1 rents at 300 for that half day but gets 6 or 7 other cars that want to practice. Does the rest of the cars that show up also pay the 300 or do they split it up depending on the amt. of cars. I think this is how it was done in Houston where they charged one and split the costs between the rest. I think JP or Hudie could explain what I mean further...

Marc

its a different type of racing but the new drag strip in Marion charges something like 1000 dollars a day. they provide fire ems and clean up and the cost covers up to like 10 cars. these numbers are not exact but are pretty close to actual ones that i was told a few months ago by Mr. Blewitt (owner San Marcos Auto Outlet) who also races there. yes prices could get higher. but you should get what you pay for. if one cars blows his engine and oils it down alot of times it could take up to a couple hours for the track to be ready to run and by then it is allready dark. practice is over and you are out of your money. and maybe did not even get on the track. it is not a good thing to have happen it has happened to me. that is why i though this might be a relevant subject to talk about.

hope every one has a good off season

SASPEEDRACER24,

The $300 is not per car, so the more that go the cheaper it gets. The problem I have, is that I just finished a car and need to shake it down, and really didnt want to wait until the first pratice, because I am sure that there will be some things that I will need to change. If anyone dosnt have thier car torn down and would like to go pratice, I am trying to put a date together some time in the next 3-4 weeks, please contact me, either e-mail or pm.

Then don't go practice. Nobody forces you to. You should be happy they open it at all to practice during the week. I'd gladly pay $20 per person to go practice during the week. Though living 5 hours away hinders that. The only practice I get is when I show up to race. I wish I had 2-3 hours on a Thursday to fine tune my race vehicle.

this is the last thing i will say about this. for those of you saying that you dont have to practice, i think that is not always true. when you are having a problem that is pretty serious (breaking driveshafts like i was) you need to go practice you do not have to. this past year when i was having this problem i would much rather it break on thursday with only 1 or 2 other cars on the track than 20. i would not want to be the cause of serios damage to someones car because i did not want to test it out in advance. bottom line is when i need to practice or test i will pay what ever i have to, to make sure my ride is right. so i can be as competitive as i can, and not an embarrassment. like i was this past season. i want to support THR as much as i can. it is a fine facility with a great staff. i look forward to next season and hope it is a good one for all.

I don't remember ever seeing an ambulance at THR on thursday. I do expect the tracks to make money they have the investment and the wear and tear on the facility not counting there time. I also think that $20 is fine for the driver but i feel that it is a little high for the crew or other people that have an investment in the cars that run at that track.We all need to realize that the race track is a bussiness and the owners need to make money but on the other hand the track owners also need to realize that the racers have an investment also and that they are the only commodity the track has to sell so don;t kill us either when we are just trying to make the show better by getting the car and the driver dailed in .

Archived